IGNORED

Walking For Exercise

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He is.

The problem with these ideas, is it doesn't take anything close to what is happening inside your body into account. I tell you what, you take men the same age, same weight, same health...feed them the same diet for a 12 week period, have one walk 4 miles a day at 3 mph, and have the other run at 6 mph for 4 miles everyday...we'll see who's in better health after 12 weeks.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

• Administrator
I tell you what, you take men the same age, same weight, same health...feed them the same diet for a 12 week period, have one walk 4 miles a day at 3 mph, and have the other run at 6 mph for 4 miles everyday...we'll see who's in better health after 12 weeks.

The point remains that walking is nowhere near as low as 40% as you stated. And your experiment is flawed - and would be even with twins - so it's pointless to discuss it.

I never said walking was "as good as" running, just that 40% is way, way too low.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The point remains that walking is nowhere near as low as 40% as you stated. And your experiment is flawed - and would be even with twins - so it's pointless to discuss it.

Hey, if you think walking is going to make you lose weight at the same rate as running...knock yourself out. As I'm sure you'll admit, there seems to be contradicting sides to the arguement and several theories- so with that in mind I'm not sure how you can be so sure to say that my estimation "is no where near" accurate.

And if you think the experiment is flawed, I could agrue it's not anymore flawed than posting links from a website promoting walking which only supporting idea is how many METs are burned... The only thing a MET should be used for is calculating METs burned, not comparing running to walking. Like I said, if you're too old to consider running or your doctor does not recommend running for you, or if you're looking for a light excercise, spending time with your spouse, enjoying the scenery, than running is a good use of your time. But as I've said all along, if you're hoping walking is going to improve your physical fitness, you simply won't see the results you're hoping for.

• Administrator
Hey, if you think walking is going to make you lose weight at the same rate as running... knock yourself out.

I never said that it did.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't walk for excercise because I am time restrained and enjoy cycling and running more. Walking is more substainable for most people. If you are a typical fat person who is trying to lose wieght, you can't run for an hour at 6 MPH but you most probably could walk for 1.5 hours at 4 MPH.

What really matters IMO is how hard you work. I am a very intense. I did walk in the past at the highest incline at about 4.3 MPH for an hour. I am quite confident I burned a ton of calories in that time. No I choose to go to spinning instead or run at 6 to 6.5.

Brian

Lefty, that's what I was trying to get at before we had to go and get all technical. Depending on how far I'm running, I usually run somewhere between a 7-8 mpp pace. If I'm walking fast, it's probably going to be around a 4 mph pace. In my humble estimation (better??) I'm at least burning 60% more calories while running.

Heck, I can't even talk when I'm running hard, even walking fast I could probably be downing a cheeseburger and telling you about my last round. After viewing the links, you have to get pretty creative with data and scenarios to claim "running and walking burn the same amount of calories."

Paralysis by analysis, when really it just boils down to plain common sense.

Lefty, that's what I was trying to get at before we had to go and get all technical. Depending on how far I'm running, I usually run somewhere between a 7-8 mpp pace. If I'm walking fast, it's probably going to be around a 4 mph pace. In my humble estimation (better??) I'm at least burning 60% more calories while running.

You aren't the typical person. Most people can get a good workout walking and can't run for more than 5 minutes at a time. I find higher intensity workouts more enjoyable so I choose to do things that gets my body working so hard I can't think. As I get in better and better shape (i've lost 60 pounds and decreased my fat by 10+% while getting stronger in every excercise I do) you have to push yourself harder to get the workouts you once did with less challenging workouts. My point was that for most, you can lose alot of weight and feel better by walking hard for a good amount of time. You don't have to jog to call it working out. To push myself past the point I'm at I am not going to do it with just walking. Sure I love walking with my wife, son, playing golf, around downtown during lunch but it isn't a challenge anymore. To push myself to were I want to be I have to be 100% dedicated to my diet and work my A*s off in the gym lifting, running, whatever. One of the downfalls of being in better shape is it takes more to get the same workout.

Brian

You aren't the typical person. Most people can get a good workout walking and can't run for more than 5 minutes at a time. I find higher intensity workouts more enjoyable so I choose to do things that gets my body working so hard I can't think. As I get in better and better shape (i've lost 60 pounds and decreased my fat by 10+% while getting stronger in every excercise I do) you have to push yourself harder to get the workouts you once did with less challenging workouts. My point was that for most, you can lose alot of weight and feel better by walking hard for a good amount of time. You don't have to jog to call it working out. To push myself past the point I'm at I am not going to do it with just walking. Sure I love walking with my wife, son, playing golf, around downtown during lunch but it isn't a challenge anymore. To push myself to were I want to be I have to be 100% dedicated to my diet and work my A*s off in the gym lifting, running, whatever. One of the downfalls of being in better shape is it takes more to get the same workout.

First off, nice job on the weight loss, that's quite an accomplishment. I agree with you 100%, that's why I made sure I said walking is better suited for some, and also suggested that people who are really trying to get fit could try walking a 1/4 mile, running a 1/4 mile etc... Actually, I have a buddy who was really overweight, he's gotten into running and he runs for three telephone pole lenghts, walks 5, runs 3 etc...

The fact of the matter is, if you say, 50 lbs. overweight. Maintaining the the same diet and walking as your only form of exercise is not going to get you fit- if that's your goal. But, like I said, getting out and walking is good for you. It's really all about what your goals are.

You can't lose any weight with just exercise IMO. The most important part of changing yourself is changing what you put in your body. My nutritionist/enormous body builder guy has stessed the importance of that. He said he would rather me miss a workout than a meal.

Brian

You can't lose any weight with just exercise IMO. The most important part of changing yourself is changing what you put in your body. My nutritionist/enormous body builder guy has stessed the importance of that. He said he would rather me miss a workout than a meal.

Yup, I agree 100%. Diet is the #1 thing, combining that with exercise is important, but you can run as far as you want, if you're eating super-sized MickyD's meals you're not going to notice any change. It's all about burning more calories than you consume.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I walk both on and off the course. I lose a fair amount of desire for golf if my group wants to play cart golf. Cart golf is an amusement ride, walking the course is playing golf. Carts should be limited to folks who have a medical reason to avoid walking. My desire to walk has led me to a group called The Walking Golfers Society.

I heard some golf courses only have one golf cart for the players to use, so they encourage walking while you play.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Just to kinda give everyone a basic idea, running is a aerobic exercise, and walking is more along the lines of strength training.

In one hour:
You'll burn more calories running, but the calories being burned would be derived from sugars and carbohydrates.
You'll burn more fat walking because your body doesn't use as many carbohydrates for fuel, it has enough time to metabolize fat.

Walking and running are two different forms of exercise, which is something that is confused a lot. They both have their benefits. The biggest thing with walking is form. Form will dictate how efficiently calories are burned.

A person's weight also comes into play. A heavier individual will burn more calories walking than a lighter individual because he/she has more weight to carry around. I would recommend a heavier individual to walk rather than run for countless health related issues and risks.

• 4 months later...
I like to run, but walking is nice.. I walk 30 minutes everday, from my car to my office, i am to cheap to spend for parking closer ;b, FREE PARKING...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Samsung Epic 4g and downloaded a new app for fitness and it has a pediometer and calculates calories burned from walking, so my next round I will try to remember to turn it on and see how many calories are burned simply by the walking.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Actually if you look at calories burned over all ranges of weights, if you walk at 3 mph and run at 6 mph, your burning 140% more calories running. I have a nice excel sheet that can calulate daily calories burned for different exercises or activities, ranging from the weight of 170 lbs to 260 lbs, its in calories per minute..

Which means, to burn the same calories for running, lets say you run for 10 minutes, you need to walk for 24 minutes.

Calories = activity * duration, if you equal the two equations one for walking one for running, its about a 14 minutes for every 10 minutes, or 1.4 minutes for every minute walk to run.

Now, there is such a thing as interval training were you run at high speed, take it down to to a brisk walk then amp it up to a run again, constantly fluctuating your pulse rate, so you do like 1 minute run, 30 second walk. It supposedly makes your body burn extra calories afterwards, so theres that to take into account depending on the exercise.

If you want a general idea as to how many calories you burn while walking, take your weight and divide it by 33, then multiply it by the number of minutes. Thats at 3 mph.

If you want 3.3 mph, which is a good pace for a 6 foot guy, divide by 31.. This is for weight in lbs

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!