IGNORED

TMRW Golf League (TGL)

snapfade

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I haven't been able to find out too much of the workings on it other than its a week night event. 3 teams total now. Maybe we will see a TGL/LIV steel cage match down the road. Maybe they should bring on Tommy Fleetwood, maybe he can win something. 

The official site of TGL, featuring TGL news and video highlights, gameday coverage, schedules, stats, scores, teams and rosters.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It's the indoor sim league thing. Stadium (or probably more accurately, arena) golf. They'll probably have a putting green and hit their other shots on a simulator. Mondays before PGA Tour events, I think… and it has the PGA Tour's blessing, since they still own the media rights.

(Which, supposedly, was one of Phil's biggest issues: that he had to get "permission" and pay the PGA Tour for things like The Match, even though he isn't the one who paid them and they're how he became famous to begin with.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to TMRW Golf League (TGL)
  • Administrator

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy are backing a new sports league that's reinventing golf as high-energy, made-for-TV entertainment.

Decent number of details in this article.

• Informative 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy are backing a new sports league that's reinventing golf as high-energy, made-for-TV entertainment.

Decent number of details in this article.

I'll reserve judgment until I watch one live but I think I like the idea.  Hitting from real turf & sand is much better than off of Astro-turf.  It will be interesting to see the robotic green in action.  And this should be good for Tiger since there will be reduce walking so he may be a force to contend with again, which will be nice.  Still not sure how I feel about the team aspect.  This is not basketball or football, it is Golf and primarily Golf is you against the course.  I do like the occasional Ryder Cups, etc. but every week may get old. I'll reserve judgement for now.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

53 minutes ago, StuM said:

I'll reserve judgment until I watch one live but I think I like the idea.  Hitting from real turf & sand is much better than off of Astro-turf.  It will be interesting to see the robotic green in action.  And this should be good for Tiger since there will be reduce walking so he may be a force to contend with again, which will be nice.  Still not sure how I feel about the team aspect.  This is not basketball or football, it is Golf and primarily Golf is you against the course.  I do like the occasional Ryder Cups, etc. but every week may get old. I'll reserve judgement for now.

According to Morikawa, receiving the call for this farce holds just as much prestige as receiving the call to be on the Ryder Cup team.

1 hour ago, elementz said:

According to Morikawa, receiving the call for this farce holds just as much prestige as receiving the call to be on the Ryder Cup team.

While I agree that Morikawa's comment is absurd, what about this event/league is a farce?

Per Merriam-Webster farce means:

• a light dramatic composition marked by broadly satirical comedy and improbable plot
  • an empty or patently ridiculous act, proceeding, or situation

I don't think it's satirical comedy, nor an empty/patently ridiculous act.

Is it golf? No. 

Is it golf adjacent and gives viewers a way to watch players hit more shots while being mic'ed up and (hopefully) providing a different form of entertainment/maybe some banter that we don't get to see week to week on the PGA Tour? Absolutely. 

I don't see anything about this that makes it a farce.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, StuM said:

but every week may get old.

I agree. Will definitely be fun to watch in the beginning, but can't see this really taking off. It's notable that the owner doesn't like the esports analogy. Sure it's different (physical athletes, etc.) But the fact is that esports, for all its hype, never really brought in the dollars it had promised, at least not in the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, elementz said:

I think being on the Ryder Cup is an honor.  Maybe others think differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I think for the ‘younger’ crowd this may be entertaining and those who really spend a lot of time with simulated golf games/practice set ups. I actually read this and have very little interest in it. I don’t care how hi-tech the equipment is, it’s not golf as we know it for hundreds of years. Golf, as far as playing, indoors is dumb. But I’ll give it a shot but have low expectations.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I really am looking forward to seeing this in action, how it all works, etc. but for some reason I just can’t see it getting lasting traction. 

Then again, just having Tiger involved gives it a huge boost and if we can’t see him on the course I guess we will have to tune in to see him here. 

I could also see this being big with young people especially in places where indoor golf is big but I don’t think it’s necessarily going to bring in new viewers to golf. I would think for the most part it will be younger people that already watching (gambling on) golf. 

Vibes closer to Topgolf than Tour golf. But I'm mighty curious if it ends up being a reasonably fun watch.

But the Morikawa call though.. c'mon. Lol. Could have possibly landed had it been a legit attempt at humor.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
  • Informative 1

I can’t wait for the Netflix documentary on this one. 

Fyre Festival with Tiger and Rory instead of Ja Rule

Edited by dsc123
  • Funny 2

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I guess they had not installed the backup generator yet.  I would think that is a necessity for domes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:22 PM, chspeed said:

But the fact is that esports, for all its hype, never really brought in the dollars it had promised, at least not in the US.

Esports players already earn more than WNBA players and Esports has been around about half as long as the WNBA. 

But to your point, a lot of the "big money" Esports players have been in places like Denmark, not the US. 

Here's some stats that may be relevant: 

How much do professional gamers make? G2’s League of Legends eSports earnings reached nearly $900,000 in 2020. eSports earnings stats will blow your mind!

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I guess we need to wait a year…

The indoor golf league planned by Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy will be delayed a year after the...

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator

Pffffft.

(I was just coming here to post something about this, but… sheesh.)