IGNORED

Can you fade or draw when you want to?

rembrandt
Note: This thread is 6451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can hit a fade or slice alot easier than a draw and it sure does help at times. Yesterday, I had a big pine about 20 yds in front of me and I needed to go around it and up a hill to an elevated green about 150 yds away. Down the left side was another row of pines. Instead of drawing it around the pine and up the fairway in the middle, I chose to go left of the pine and fade it away from the row of pines. I missed the pine in front of me by about three feet and it faded down the side of the row of pines and bounced up the hill and landed on the fringe. Chipped to about 4 ft. and made par. To draw the ball I have to strengthen my grip, hood the club and keep my right elbow tucked in and swing from the inside. Alot tougher for me to do!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I really like to work the ball both ways. I have a harder time working a draw with the driver, but can pretty much hit a fade or draw with all my irons on command. Generally, if I have a choice, I will draw my irons as I seem more accurate with that shot shape. At the range, I will hit a high fade, low fade, high draw, low draw in succession just to get in the practice. With the driver, if I miss the draw, it is usually an ugly blocked cut that ends up way off line. I have a really hard time committing to that swing and that is usually when the trouble starts...

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I really like to work the ball both ways. I have a harder time working a draw with the driver, but can pretty much hit a fade or draw with all my irons on command. Generally, if I have a choice, I will draw my irons as I seem more accurate with that shot shape. At the range, I will hit a high fade, low fade, high draw, low draw in succession just to get in the practice. With the driver, if I miss the draw, it is usually an ugly blocked cut that ends up way off line. I have a really hard time committing to that swing and that is usually when the trouble starts...

For some reason, yesterday, I was drawing my driver big time almost to a dreaded hook. I was really coming from the inside and I was pull hooking it to some degree. I just lived with it all day and allowed for the draw but I was consistantly on the left side of the fairway. I tried to take the driver a little outside away from the ball but it still went down the middle and drew to the left. I think if I had opened my stance some, I might have corrected it but I was afraid of hooking it into the trees and OB. Anyway, I did well the first nine with it but played poorly on the back side. It got me into trouble a few times that cost me a couple of doubles!

3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I tend to draw everything (over the course of the season, but not necessarily day to day). The driver is the exception (easy fade). Still, I often purposely hit a fade with my scoring clubs, b/c I feel I can get it closer more often that way. I can work my clubs either way when I want to, but not necessarily when I need to. The driver is naturally not as welcome to direction as the other clubs. On tee shots and most others, I usually just go with whatever shot shape I have that day unless I'm in a situation where I really need the ball to do something special.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I tend to play my best golf on golf courses that ask for a shaped shot off the tees and into the greens. The shot I hate the most is the one that's straightaway with no trouble. If it's a narrow fairway (as some are at my course) with trees on both sides, I rarely find the fairway because I find it tough to fit the shape of the hole. In other words, if the hole bends left or right, it's a lot easier for me to hit the proper shot. My mind and body can "feel" it a lot better.

I can hit cuts a little easier than draws, but a large part of that is my hesitance to swing from the inside. I grew up playing balata, and the line between a gentle draw and a snap hook was a very, VERY fine one. As such, I find it difficult to make myself swing from the inside enough to draw the modern golf ball sometimes, almost as if my body is afraid it'll snap hook like a balata. But I'm getting there, and my success rate is in the 90s now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tend to play my best golf on golf courses that ask for a shaped shot off the tees and into the greens. The shot I hate the most is the one that's straightaway with no trouble. If it's a narrow fairway (as some are at my course) with trees on both sides, I rarely find the fairway because I find it tough to fit the shape of the hole. In other words, if the hole bends left or right, it's a lot easier for me to hit the proper shot. My mind and body can "feel" it a lot better.

I have to go with what brung me on that particular day. Like yesterday, I had a draw off the tee all day and I just had to live with it. Some days I hit it straight and I'm fine with that. Seldom do I fight a slice. I can make it slice when I want to but generally I don't have to worry about the dreaded banana!

I like hitting the ball striaght keeping thing simple is the way I am playing right now. Althought last time on the range I started to work on hook and runs for trouble shots from behind a tree.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Once I get the draw established with the driver for the day, I can just swing at will and the ball stays in the fairway. Sunday, I got it going early and I was just pounding the ball off the tee. No fear of hitting a slice, it was a 5 yd draw all day. What a great feeling. I was hitting two or three clubs less into most of the greens, now that was fun.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I can draw or fade my woods and middle irons. My hybrid 4 is always a draw. The 7 iron and up draw or straight only.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have finally gotten to the point to where I can fade/draw at will. My prefered shot is a draw though, and normally only work the ball off the tee unless I'm going for a flag that is tucked in somewhere requiring a fade.

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

For the most part, yes. My natural flight is a slight draw but if I need to I can usually shape the ball from left to right. My only problem is that I usually push the ball because my swing path is from inside to out.When I try and fade the ball I have to remember to come a little more over the top and keep the clubhead from releasing.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!