IGNORED

What is the best links course in the world?

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep reading in golf magazines what are the best/top 100 tracks around but Id love to know what people think are the best links courses. If you could play or rate just one what in your opinion is the best?

For me, it is Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland

Just look at what the top pros say about it...The Dunluce is simply stunning, the 14th as good as any hole in the world. Top top club & was a joy to play.

Thoughts??

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

Wish I could claim firsthand knowledge, but alas, I haven't played any genuine links.

Have always been fascinated by Ballybunion, in particular. Portrush, too.

I know "inland links" is an oxymoron, but Sand Hills in Nebraska is simply stunning.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-...usa/sand-hills

Cheers,
DoctorK

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

I've heard good things about the Bandon Dunes courses, and also about Whistling Straits near me in Wisconsin.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I've heard good things about the Bandon Dunes courses, and also about Whistling Straits near me in Wisconsin.

Incredible tracks, no doubt, but purists would grumble that they don't fit the definition of a true links. Bandon is seaside but on cliffs, while Straits is on a lake, not the sea.

And I'd give my left... pinky finger to play either place! Not trying to be a snob, DarkPrince, just pointing out a technicality. Pebble Beach fits into the same category as Bandon, BTW. Cheers, DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Incredible tracks, no doubt, but purists would grumble that they don't fit the definition of a true links. Bandon is seaside but on cliffs, while Straits is on a lake, not the sea.

NP, I actually expected it lol. Gotta admit though, Herb Kohl really tried to go all out on straits lol, even so far as to bring flocks of black faced sheep over :P

The only ones that I have seen personally are on Lonf Island. I have been to (but not played) Shinnecock, Southhampton, National Golf Links of America, and I have played Long Island National.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any links course owned and operated by Donald Trump is the highest rated links course in the world.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Any links course owned and operated by Donald Trump is the highest rated links course in the world.

And of course, all of Trump's courses are true links, even those that lie inland. Surrounded by forest. Where the architect moved acres of non-sandy soil.

Cheers, DoctorK

~~Bobby Jones~~

Have always been fascinated by Ballybunion, in particular. Portrush, too.

Portrush was also the very first place I ever swung a golf club so I am very biased lol. Had a number of friends who have played Ballybunion and almost cried at the beauty of it all. Sounds amazing. Would love to play Pebble & Turnberry at some point before I die.

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

A few of my favorites are Royal County Down, Lahinch, North Berwick and the Old Course at St. Andrews.

I just got back from playing the Irish Course at Whistling Straits, god damn it is a beautiful course...but the combined 5,000+ bunkers (no lie) between the Irish and Straits courses can boggle the mind :S I hit more bunkers today than the last 2 years combined haha. One was so tall that I didn't think I was getting out alive, it easily had 20 ft of vertical carry before having to think of the distance to the fairway :P Either way, although it again isn't on a seaside, it was a very challenging, yet beautiful course to play :) We got rain/lighteninged out in the 17th fairway though, so I never finished out the 17th, or played the par 5 18th...I can't complain though, I was 27 over par due to lost balls, fast greens that broke seemingly the opposite direction, and bunker shots :p

• 2 years later...

just got back from scotland and played 10 links courses in 10 days.on the top of the list would be the Old course at st.andrewsmostly for the tradition.right behind that would be North Berwick,royal Dornach,Muirfied andNairn. We played DOnald Trumps new course Trump International  in Aberdeen.What a beautiful course.The fairways are new and it will take a few years for it to grow in .If you miss the fairway forget it.In a few years it could be the best course in Scotland

Originally Posted by jamo

The only ones that I have seen personally are on Lonf Island. I have been to (but not played) Shinnecock, Southhampton, National Golf Links of America, and I have played Long Island National.

I guess it depends on the definition of a links course. None of these are links courses which are defined as a grassy area linking the sea and the land. The ground is sandy and the grass allows you to play run up shots. St. Andrews is the prototype for all other links courses and most golf course architects would say it's the best links course in the world.

There are no true links courses in the US. I've read that the Bandon courses come closest.

Originally Posted by jack sparrow

just got back from scotland and played 10 links courses in 10 days.on the top of the list would be the Old course at st.andrewsmostly for the tradition.right behind that would be North Berwick,royal Dornach,Muirfied andNairn. We played DOnald Trumps new course Trump International  in Aberdeen.What a beautiful course.The fairways are new and it will take a few years for it to grow in .If you miss the fairway forget it.In a few years it could be the best course in Scotland

Better than St. Andrews?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how many you need to play to be qualified to answer, but Lahinch is beautiful.  Bandon Dunes, given quality of all five courses in one resort, is also an unbelievable links destination.  Of the small sample I've been lucky enough to play, Pacific Dunes has been my favorite.

I guess it depends on the definition of a links course. None of these are links courses which are defined as a grassy area linking the sea and the land. The ground is sandy and the grass allows you to play run up shots. St. Andrews is the prototype for all other links courses and most golf course architects would say it's the best links course in the world. There are no true links courses in the US. I've read that the Bandon courses come closest.

Yeah. 2010 jamo was stupid. :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by londonhusker

Greetings to all,

My first meaningful post on this wonderful forum...

First featured on "Coast", this gem can be found on South Uist.

http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/

Pure links!

If you can get hold of issue three of Golf Illustrated , there's a good article on the origins of Askernish with some nice pics.

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!