IGNORED

What's the point in playing a Pro V?

Note: This thread is 5075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I definitely agree that the ProV1/x are great balls and in fact play them. But, to play a urethane/high spin/tour ball, it's certainly necessary to be a good ball striker if you want to 1. maximize the potential of the ball and 2. not lose a lot of expensive balls.

There's really no doubt that you can get a ball that performs as well that doesn't have Titleist stamped on it, but for a lot of people, that stamp factors in the decision just as much, if not more, than performance. I can't deny that I'm part of that group and completely accept at least some brainwashing.

In my bag:
905R 9.5
906F4 15.5
CLK Fli-Hi 20

MP-52 3-PW

Vokey SM 52.08, 58.08

Studio Stainless Newport 2 35"

PRO V1x

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist & the ProV1 are the number one ball in Pro Golf for a reason. The Pro's have swing speeds of 105 plus. Many around 115+ .

I disagree with this amateurs should still play a soft high spin ball. The advantages around the green are much more advantageous to the players score than distance loss off the tee from not having a fast enough swing speed to get its proper distance.

Which is precisely why the TM Penta TP is such a great ball. You don't need a Tour swing speed to get the benefit of a premium ball. It gives plenty of distance off the driver for my very average swing speed, but I still get the premium performance on approach shots and greenside chips and pitches. I'm a firm convert from Titleist to TaylorMade because it's simply a better ball for my game. It's by far the best all around tour quality ball out there right now.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What don't you like about the Nike balls? I have played the tour d and it was a great ball. The balls lasted me at least 18 holes. What is your beef?

In the past when I hit them I thought they are not even close to titliest pro V or even any other premium ball company. I did not think they had good feel and they felt just weird coming off the club face. I will say I have not hit them since and it has been a few years so things might have changed. I am sure Nike has become a lot better club and ball maker, I am just not a big fan.

ozone bag
putter: dianna
Driver: R9 10.5
5 wood:
3 Hybrid: TPIrons: 695MB 3-PWWedges: spin mill

In the past when I hit them I thought they are not even close to titliest pro V or even any other premium ball company. I did not think they had good feel and they felt just weird coming off the club face. I will say I have not hit them since and it has been a few years so things might have changed. I am sure Nike has become a lot better club and ball maker, I am just not a big fan.

+1 I can't stand Nike golf balls. They fly off the long irons well but around the greens you might as well be hitting a rock. I would never pay for a Nike ball so whenever I do happen to find them when I'm waiting for someone to hit because the course is crowded or something I give them away.

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

+1 I can't stand Nike golf balls. They fly off the long irons well but around the greens you might as well be hitting a rock. I would never pay for a Nike ball so whenever I do happen to find them when I'm waiting for someone to hit because the course is crowded or something I give them away.

Same here, I find Nike balls all over my course also and I either give them to my brother or punch them into the river.

ozone bag
putter: dianna
Driver: R9 10.5
5 wood:
3 Hybrid: TPIrons: 695MB 3-PWWedges: spin mill

Hmmm, the One tour d didn't feel like a rock to me and that one is supposed to be more firm I think. I haven't tried the regular One tour yet. I have a box that I got for $13 sitting in my basement waiting to be played.

I play a Fuzz golf ball. Cheap and somewhat soft. Give them a try

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

I forgot to add that when I find a ProV1 I play it till I lose it.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

Almost got my first ace on Monday. 131 yard par 3. Pin was in the back, tucked way left, a few paces behind a menacing behind a front bunker, plus there were some telephone cables that I had to negotiate, at least they looked like they were in the way (stupid hole design and def a Sunday pin placement).

Anyway, I drew a 9 iron out, used a tiny broken tee, took dead aim, and hit right towards the pin. Until I get my first ace, I will never play it safe on a par 3. I pured the ball. Then, I screamed, "be the right club today!" lol Thought it was close but not as close as it was when I got to the hole. I had landed it some 5 feet behind the hole - a few inches form the fringe, and sucked it back to within 1 foot. Tap in birdie. I was playing a Pro V1x. Could not have done that with a rock flight. No way. Not to mention I shot a 38 with 13 putts. I got up and down like a mofo. Again, thanks to the Pro V1x.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Almost got my first ace on Monday. 131 yard par 3. Pin was in the back, tucked way left, a few paces behind a menacing behind a front bunker, plus there were some telephone cables that I had to negotiate, at least they looked like they were in the way (stupid hole design and def a Sunday pin placement).

Give yourself some credit pal ...you hit a great shot!!!!! I played a feww weeks ago 215 yard par 3. I hit my 3h perfectly, and landed about 5 feet right of the flag. I was playing a Srixon AD333 ball. While I am sure tha the ball played its roll...I did the swinging, the stricking, and the swearing..."Holy $hit I aced it!!!!!" The ball landed, took a short bounce, and rolled a foot past the hole, 5 feet right. Putted for for a birdie.....
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

very nice. I remember I had a similar shot, 160 yard par 3. Took my 7iron and hit it dead straight towards the pin. Took one bounce, smacked the flag pole and landed 2 feet from the hole. You can imagine how tight my ass must've been as that thing hit the pole.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

very nice. I remember I had a similar shot, 160 yard par 3. Took my 7iron and hit it dead straight towards the pin. Took one bounce, smacked the flag pole and landed 2 feet from the hole. You can imagine how tight my ass must've been as that thing hit the pole.

No thanks!

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

This reminds me of lob wedge/chip and run.
The less expensive ball will run out while the premium balls will check more.

I just like how I know the ball will release , i've played with them for a long time.

If I was being sponsored by titliest and I was getting free golf balls. I'd choose the V1.
I normally find the balls I play with so V1's are a rare occurrence.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Same here, I find Nike balls all over my course also and I either give them to my brother or punch them into the river.

they cant be that bad can they, Tiger uses Nike balls when he plays in tournaments.

Yes you could. It might not have been within a foot. But pretty close and still a tap in bird. Gamer would have done it, probably a d2 feel as well.

Not sure about being able to to do that with a Top Flight. I've never gotten quite the spin with those balls. And I really have never gotten the kind of hop and check that I do with the players balls. Speaking of Top Flight, I got my dad some Gamers for Christmas this past year. I had heard a comments about them scuffing up, but I didn't think my dad would have that issue being a higher handicapper and not putting much spin on the ball. Well, I talked to him last night and he says, "you know, I finally broke out those Gamers you got me for Christmas, and I am chewing those balls up with my clubs. At first I thought it was just my old Ping Eye 2 square groove irons, but my playing partner tried one and had the same result." He's going back to a Titleist NXT. lol

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I have never liked anything Nike, and definitely not their balls. That being said, I really like the feel of their new Method putters. They did a fantastic job with those!

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I have never liked anything Nike, and definitely not their balls. That being said, I really like the feel of their new Method putters. They did a fantastic job with those!

The method putters are sweet. I rolled the 003 at the demo day here and it was superb. I am not shelling out $250 for one though. I also hit the VR str8fit driver and it was sweet as well.

Note: This thread is 5075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!