IGNORED

What's the point in playing a Pro V?

Note:Β This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I played with 3 golf balls today.
Top Flite XL, Pro V1, Pro V1x
All in perfect condition.

Distance:
Top Flite and Pro V1x went around the same distance V1 was slightly behind.

Accuracy:
Now here's a thing a lot of people forget. If you play with a softer ball you'll not only get more backspin but also more sidespin.
The top flite was the most accurate for me.

Spin:
Pro V1 did 1 hop and stop from full wedge shots, V1x rolled out a bit more and the Top Flite ended up 5-10 feet away from the pitch mark.

Durability:
V1 and V1x were pretty bad after only 9 hole, the Top Flite looked nearly brand new.

Overall:
V1 and V1x aren't what they're hyped up to be. Yes they spin more but that's it, They get destroyed after 9 holes and accentuate fades/draws.

I'd happily play with a Top Flite XL instead of a Pro V

What do you think?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pro V1 might not suit you, but that doesn't mean it don't suit others.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While you mght be looking for every extra yard you can get, and just want to hit the ball as straight as possible, some of us might not need an extra 10 yards and prefer to have a more responsive ball for our short game. Plus once you have a decently consistent swing, there are lots of situations where being able to work the ball is much to your advantage. Personally, i just think TopFlites and most two piece balls feel rock hard and i hate putting and chipping with them.

-Gibby

While you mght be looking for every extra yard you can get, and just want to hit the ball as straight as possible, some of us might not need an extra 10 yards and prefer to have a more responsive ball for our short game. Plus once you have a decently consistent swing, there are lots of situations where being able to work the ball is much to your advantage. Personally, i just think TopFlites and most two piece balls feel rock hard and i hate putting and chipping with them.

I also use them mainly for the short game,top flites e.t.c are just like rocks.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

While I agree a lot of what you say James, I have to disagree overall. I hit the ball really hard and can spin anything with a full shot. So from tee to green, I would have no problem with a Top Flight. Provided of course that they actually go a similar distance off the tee for me. The main reason why I use a Pro V is the spin you can get on partial shots and on chip shots around the green. That is where the scoring is done, so that is where I need to get the most out of the ball.

The last time I played I faced a 40-50 yard shot to a two-tier green with the hole in the back. I was able to carry to the second tier, the ball takes two hops and stops dead on the second. That just isn't going to happen with a Top Flight.

As far as them getting beat up, I don't really care. That just goes with the territory.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think there is a good amount of misperception over balls like the ProV1 and V1x (as well as others). If you struggle to hit fairways off the tee, this ball really shouldn't be in your bag to begin with.

For a mid handicap, balls like the bridgestone e6 would be a better fit. For better players who aren't as concerned with reducing sidespin, the Pro V1, B330 series, etc offer control around the green that distance balls cannot match.

For better players, being able to get up and down around missed GIRs is crucial to scoring. This is where the tour-level multilayer balls excel. A mid-level player would benefit from a high spin ball in these situations as well, however, they'll likely add strokes off the tee due to poor accuracy.

In the Bag: TaylorMadeΒ R11 TPΒ - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - VokeyΒ SM 52Β -Β Vokey SM 60Β - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1xΒ 

On the Computer: Β Analyzr ProΒ 
Β 

To be honest, I find the whole "It spins less so is more accurate" statements to be the same hype as "adjustable drivers straighten wayward shots."

If a shot has side-spin, it has side-spin because of issues with clubface angle / swing path... and no piece of equipment is going to correct that. I seriously doubt that even the "straightest" equipment is even going to do much to mitigate the above mentioned swing flaws.

I can play any piece of equipment and range from pretty good to embarassingly poor, so it makes little difference in the end what I choose.

Thus, I choose equipment based on feel more than anything else; and rock hard, two-piece distance balls don't feel particularly nice to me.

To be honest, I find the whole "It spins less so is more accurate" statements to be the same hype as "adjustable drivers straighten wayward shots." If a shot has side-spin, it has side-spin because of issues with clubface angle / swing path... and no piece of equipment is going to correct that. I seriously doubt that even the "straightest" equipment is even going to do much to mitigate the above mentioned swing flaws.

I'd disagree. You're absolutely right that if you put sidespin on a ball due to swingpath it ain't going straight. However, if your golf ball choice puts 50% more spin on a shot, that's not just backspin, and your ball will travel even more wayward (but maybe into the next fairway if you're lucky for a clean lie!).

And as one who plays an adjustable driver, I disagree also that equipment doesn't make any difference, at least if your misses are fairly consistent. Tweaking my Nickent Evolver 4Dx to 1* closed has almost eliminated my fade, and now my driver flight is almost dead straight, resulting in 5-10 more yards. I'd agree if you miss all over the place equipment isn't going to help much though; but if you always slice your driver, an offset or "draw" driver will probably help. Yes it's a quick fix, but for those without the time for tons of lessons and just want to go out & play it may be a lot more preferable.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

I like the Pro V alot myself. But will also play a Top Flite XL in a heart beat. Tee too green they are simular of of my clubs. I like the Pro V more with pitching and chipping. But I like the Top Flite more with my putter.... because of the louder sound.

The Pro V1 might not suit you, but that doesn't mean it don't suit others.

I think if more people took the time to objectively evaluate different balls like the OP did they would be really surprised by their result. The average player simply does not have the game to differentiate between balls. Take the print off the outside of the ball and there would go 90% of the incentive to play specific balls.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regularΒ shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I'd love to have the time to try a bunch of balls out, but I usually just try a dozen at a time. I recently got the Titleist NXT Tour and really like them. I get the spin I want around the greens and the distance of a two-piece. Try em out...and the price isn't to bad either. If I could afford it, I'd play the new Srixon, I've heard its amazing.
Whats In My Hoofer Bag

R9 460 9.5 degrees
909 F2 15.5 degrees
909H 19 degrees AP2 4-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5) Spin Milled 52, 56 & 60 Degrees Studio Select Squareback 2 Pro V-1 Favorite golfer: Zach Johnson

I will not play most Top Flites purely because putting with them is comparable to hitting a rock. Simple.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5Β°, Proforce V2 HL S |Β PINGΒ G5, 15Β°, 18Β°, Aldila NV 75 S | PINGΒ G5, 19Β°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I'd love to have the time to try a bunch of balls out, but I usually just try a dozen at a time. I recently got the Titleist NXT Tour and really like them. I get the spin I want around the greens and the distance of a two-piece. Try em out...and the price isn't to bad either. If I could afford it, I'd play the new Srixon, I've heard its amazing.

I agree with you. For the price, the performance of the NXT Tour is pretty tough to beat.

In the Bag: TaylorMadeΒ R11 TPΒ - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - VokeyΒ SM 52Β -Β Vokey SM 60Β - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1xΒ 

Β 

I play a Pro V1x because of the greenside spin and the trajectory that is more suitable than a Pro V1 (at least for me). However, I disagree when people say that it will only last 9 holes. That is simply not true as I've played my current ball for exactly 36 holes. I've hit a couple of full wedge shots which leave groove marks on the ball but I think I'll still play it until I lose it. It could be that I'm more accurate (with my swing), but I've never been able to play a ball for 18+ holes without losing it and I'm averaging 36 since I started playing with the Pro V1x. I might not be as picky with my ball as most people who will throw it away after 9 holes but I will definately stop playing the ball when I can tell that the extensive usage is affecting its performance, otherwise i'll keep on playing it.

i have 27 holes on my prov1x and its still going strong with 3 brand new wedges in the bag this year one being a 64 degree spin mille vokey that i hit 2 60 yard shots with and this ball is still fine

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

i have 27 holes on my prov1x and its still going strong with 3 brand new wedges in the bag this year one being a 64 degree spin mille vokey that i hit 2 60 yard shots with and this ball is still fine

You should take the plastic shrink wrap off your new wedges. ;)

Seriously, I can't seem to get an entire 18 holes out of a ProV1/V1x without scuffing one on an approach. I'll still play them when I can afford to do so however.

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!