IGNORED

What's the point in playing a Pro V?

Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure about being able to to do that with a Top Flight. I've never gotten quite the spin with those balls. And I really have never gotten the kind of hop and check that I do with the players balls. Speaking of Top Flight, I got my dad some Gamers for Christmas this past year. I had heard a comments about them scuffing up, but I didn't think my dad would have that issue being a higher handicapper and not putting much spin on the ball. Well, I talked to him last night and he says, "you know, I finally broke out those Gamers you got me for Christmas, and I am chewing those balls up with my clubs. At first I thought it was just my old Ping Eye 2 square groove irons, but my playing partner tried one and had the same result." He's going back to a Titleist NXT. lol

The original games were notorious for that. The new ones(V2) are more durable. I have played both the gamer and the d2 feel and can tell you they will both back up when hit right. Not as much as a V1, but you still have to hit a v1 right for it to back up.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

131 yard . . . 9 iron . . .pured . . . landed it some 5 feet behind the hole - a few inches form the fringe, and sucked it back to within 1 foot. Tap in birdie. I was playing a Pro V1x.

Using a Top Flite (D2 Feel, Gamer V2, XL Tour, whatever) you probably would have used a pitching wedge and just aimed about a yard short of the pin.

Last summer I started playing Wilson balls again because the Eco Cores were on sale and I liked their packaging - or rather, the lack of extra packaging. The first full round in play, I happened to have my camera along. On the 509 yard par 5 sixth hole, I pulled the tee shot. Normally I'd have landed in the long grass and then punched out, but I actually carried the trouble with the Eco Core - cool - no shorter than a Top Flite. Then from ~ 180 (no rangefinder then) to an elevated green, I just tried to get the ball to the front edge. I "pured" an Apex PC 7-iron. It didn't back up 5 feet - probably not even 5 inches - but it was within a couple feet of the pitch mark. I can live with that. Yeah, I missed the eagle putt - meh.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Zeph... driver spin is driver spin. If it spins a lot going straight, it will spin (curve) a lot if not hit flush. This is why balls with low driver spin are better for amatures.

I believe that I read recently that this was a factually untrue statement. I don't think you can really apply that kind of 1:1 relationship between backspin with a wedge and sidespin with a driver.

Driver spin and iron/wedge spin are 2 different animals due to differences in the clubs. Iron/wedge backspin is primarily imparted by the grooves on the club gripping the soft cover of the ball. That is why urethane balls spin more. They have a softer cover. It is also why they get 'chewed up' by wedges. Drivers don't have grooves on the face. You also compress the ball a lot more with a driver due to the higher swing speed. That is why 3 piece balls exist. You don't really compress the core of a 3 piece ball at all on a wedge shot, but you do with a driver. I think Golf magazine or Golf Digest addressed this recently.

Golf Ball is a very personal thing; I never have seen the big attraction of the Pro V... but many swear by them. Re: the Bridgestone E6. I love 'em; very soft feel, but I agree with the previous post that said they are Not a Cure-all for slices/hooks (I hit a couple of nasty snappers this past weekend). They probably don't bite as well as the Pro V; Penta, Callaway tour Series (not a problem for me as I am a "high spin" player); but I tested several other balls this year and decided to stay with the E6.

Snowman0157

Played with a Noodle yesterday.

After 13 holes it looked brand new.
A pro V would be nearly destroyed.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Played with a Noodle yesterday.

thats not true. i play full rounds with a pro v1 all the time and there and they look just fine after 18. just because the pro v1's get easily ruined by cart paths doesnt mean they should look like hell after 13 holes. if you play the course with out hitting any trees or cart paths a pro v1 should look just the same as a noodle after the round

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

thats not true. i play full rounds with a pro v1 all the time and there and they look just fine after 18. just because the pro v1's get easily ruined by cart paths doesnt mean they should look like hell after 13 holes. if you play the course with out hitting any trees or cart paths a pro v1 should look just the same as a noodle after the round

I don't hit cart paths or trees.....

A full 60* will tear half the cover off a pro v1.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Perhaps one more reason not to buy a spin milled lob wedge!?!?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Perhaps one more reason not to buy a spin milled lob wedge!?!?!?

I love my lob wedge.

Doubt I'd break 90 without it.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

if your taking half the cover off it your clearly doing something wrong like sliding under the ball. plus the spin milled clubs are illegal unless you bought it in the past few months and it has the v grooves

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I don't know what you're doing with your wedges but when I used the ProV1, it lasts me 18 holes just fine.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

if your taking half the cover off it your clearly doing something wrong like sliding under the ball. plus the spin milled clubs are illegal unless you bought it in the past few months and it has the v grooves

not illegal for me.

I'm only an amateur. My 60* just eats those V1's

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

Nike, callaway, srixon etc... all very good golf balls and not bad for spin, and thankfully dont scuff as easily as pro V`s. Titleist Nxt is good for distance and around the greens i find too so alot of better alternatives instead of top flites!!

BAG:

DRIVER: G2 10*
WOODS: 3 + 5
IRONS: : MP 52`s 3-PW, stiff shaftWEDGE: TW9 60*PUTTER: white hot no.7 BALL: when playing well pro v 1

Note: This thread is 5067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!