IGNORED

This Week's Thrash Talk

jamesduncan
Note: This thread is 6438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hmm id take expection to this notion actually.

thankfully (IMHO) you're right, most people don't know every rule of golf...thereby keeping rounds to the current intermenable 5 hours instead of six or seven. My point remains.....if I were a pro I would know and adhere to the letter of the law...I'm not...so next time I forget to replace my ball mark I won't be DQ'ed after I sign an incorrect card....tourneyment notwithstanding....

again this where id differ

the rules actually are in place to keep rounds under about 4 hours. Reading them, it becomes clear that that is indeed one of their main purpose.

Personally, id gladly love to see people being timed if needed, getting assessed monitary penalties for falling a group behind, or getting ejected from the course for breaking an ediquette rule repeatedly.

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

Tournament rules are, for the most part, the same thing as our regular rules. The PGA Tour has other local rules in place concerning grandstands, the one-ball rule, etc. but otherwise the rules are the rules.

just to clarify, the One Ball rule is actually set out by the USGA. The USGA allows a tournament commitee to either enact this rule or not. That is why it is enforced in all USGA events (amateur or professional) and at most state and regional events. Cheers.

hybrid HiBore19 S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

• Administrator
...so you're telling me that if your buddy walks into a sand trap and swings his club before he takes a stance you would call him on it?

I wouldn't have to - he'd call it on himself. Or, rather, he simply wouldn't break a rule because he knows what they are. He's brushed sand in a bunker and called loss of hole immediately. He's nudged the ball with his putter at address and called loss of hole immediately, and so on. We don't have to call each other when we break a rule, which is rare anyway.

While I don't disregard the rules, I think I and most of us weekend duffers are not Tour Pros.

That's for you to decide. Nobody's said "you must follow the rules as closely as I do." Do whatever you want... but at some point among better players you'll probably want to KNOW the rules so you can follow them. A stroke here or two doesn't matter to a 16-handicapper. It matters quite a bit to a 1 or a 2.

...per your aruguement pretaing to the rules you have issues with...I apply this with common sense during friendly golf outings. Meaning that a strict adherance to EVERY rule in the book would not only be amazing, but lessen the experience of an enjoyable round.

I disagree. Playing by the rules makes it more fun. Playing with people I can trust to follow the rules is a lot more fun than spending a lot of my energy wondering if the guy I'm playing against is cheating, knowingly or not.

BTW...WTF do I keep getting logged out every time I post?

Clear your cookies and log back in and check the "Remember me" button or whatever it's called. And don't ask support questions in the middle of a discussion about something else entirely, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

while I DO play by the rules....I used to play with a group that had about 3-4 foursomes teeing off consecutively. Basically 12 to 16 multi team and individual nassaus amongst the groups. Anyway they had a standing rule...Improve your lie anywhere except hazards. The idea being that it would eliminate the most common form of cheating "playing it as it lies". It was funny as I could rarely force myself to do this. If I was in the rough I could never bring myself to improving my lie even though it was an accepted practice within the group. I would and will however reward myself in it's in the fairway and in a divot. I am no pro and cannot hit it out of a divot. For my $100 per round I'll take the better lie and feel good about my sorry game. I guess if I ever get down into the single digits I'll play it where it lies, until then I'll keep looking for the cart girl and more beer.

p.s...I still get logged out....neeener...neener...

• Administrator
p.s...I still get logged out....neeener...neener...

Then your computer is broken. Buy a new one.

Back to topic (which, for those who can't read the title, was about Cody's Thrash Talk).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...so you're telling me that if your buddy walks into a sand trap and swings his club before he takes a stance you would call him on it?

in my case - it depends how well do I know this "buddy" :

1. if I know he doesn't have a clue what rules apply to a bunker play - I'd point it out before he gets into the bunker; 2. if he's a cheat and intentionally breaks the rule - I don't worry about it, because it's a last round I'll ever play with him; 3. if he does something, that violates the rule and it's OBVIOUS he has no idea he breached it - I'd tell him about it after the hole with a comment like 'when you're in competition you might get called on violation' , so he'll remember it for the future.

Back to topic (which, for those who can't read the title, was about Cody's Thrash Talk).

to veer even further off topic, do u mind updating the title to that? that'd be swell..i snooped around but couldnt figure out how edit the thread title.

nothing to do with the computer..solely the operator in this case

hybrid HiBore19 S300

• Administrator
to veer even further off topic, do u mind updating the title to that? that'd be swell..i snooped around but couldnt figure out how edit the thread title.

Done. Fixed your "week's" thing too.

isn't there a rule that says if you witness a violation and don't call the penalty you too are in violation of a rule or something to that effect?

it is.. in a competition

I want to see you calling a penalty on your boss when you got invited to a nice private course for a afternoon round

3. if he does something, that violates the rule and it's OBVIOUS he has no idea he breached it - I'd tell him about it after the hole with a comment like 'when you're in competition you might get called on violation' , so he'll remember it for the future.

Had a guy take this approach with me when I was brand new (I grounded my club and took practice swings everywhere else, why not in a bunker?) and it was very much appreciated and has always stuck with me.

A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Note: This thread is 6438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!