IGNORED

The LPGA is sloppy...

SVTGolfer
Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wouldn't wear golfing clothes to an immediate family member's wedding.

Thankfully I don't play at any of those courses.

Some of those courses would turn Daly's styles away too, and I consider such codes to be unreasonably restrictive. But then I consider the PGA Tour's code to be unreasonable.... requiring players to wear long pants in 95° temps with 90% humidity???? That is simply wrong in this day and age. I would have no problem with them being allowed to wear nice golfing shorts. I feel that golf (and some golfers) tries too hard to promote a stuffy attitude. Let's just relax and enjoy the game and not get so hung up in what the next guy is wearing. You dress as you feel right, and let him do his thing, within reason. It is possible to be comfortable, and be neat and clean and presentable without being dressed to the nines.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I don't play at any of those courses.

Is there someone in this thread (or on this planet) who's promoting John Daly as a style icon?

Some of the men look kind of sloppy too. Ironically, some of the classiest looking clothing is also the most breathable, thanks to high tech fabrics. The guy who blew up on 18 yesterday could have used some high tech pants.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What you wear on Wednesday morning at your home course and what the pros are required to wear during a tournament are completely different. No different than forcing someone to wear a full jersey while they play basketball in the public park, but you certainly wouldn't want to play with a guy wearing jean shorts falling half way off his ass and a sloppy shirt thats too big for them, would you? If we don't keep up the traditional it will get there some day... sadly ive seen some of this already with people playing in flip flops and jeans...
Some people in here are so anti-tradition its saddening. And I disagree when people post that dress code has nothing to do with "respect" It has everything to do with respect. Respect for yourself, respect for the course, respect for the game. If we have no tradition we have nothing and golf turns into just another school yard game.
I do not hold golf "up on a pedestal" But I do hold it in a respectable high regard as a classy mans/womens game reserved for those who can learn the game, act civilized, and have some self respect.
I dont know about you but I dont want to play with gang bangers...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Some of you guys never cease to amaze me. Everyone is always talking about the respect towards the game. I play golf because it is challenging and fun. But one thing I dislike about it, is that most people who play feel like it is a game for people who are wealthy or dress nicely. Whats the difference in a nice pair of pants and a nice pair of shorts? Golf is supposedly a gentlemans game, but how come most are acting like stuck up pricks. Arguements like this is one reason people think those of us who play golf are better than they are. Who cares what you wear as long as its within reason. Are you playing for a fashion show or to get better at a game that we all love? Oh yeah, btw, anyone who complains about pretty women in short skirts and sleeveless shirts...well is just a homo!

Bag: Ascend Deluxe Stand Bag
Driver:Burner Superfast 9.5* Stiff
Irons:G5 4-pw awt stiff
3 Wood:X tour stiff fujikura tour platform 26.3
Hybrid:18* Flihi stiff, Burner rescue 19*Putter::Bettinardi C-01Wedges:CG12 52* Black Nickel 56* 60*Ball:Pro V1

Who cares what you wear

You've just made the exact same argument, so take maybe you should ease up on the the insults.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i was referring to the mens game. As far as the ladies i wouldnt mind if they were naked, i just wouldnt look at some lol

Bag: Ascend Deluxe Stand Bag
Driver:Burner Superfast 9.5* Stiff
Irons:G5 4-pw awt stiff
3 Wood:X tour stiff fujikura tour platform 26.3
Hybrid:18* Flihi stiff, Burner rescue 19*Putter::Bettinardi C-01Wedges:CG12 52* Black Nickel 56* 60*Ball:Pro V1

I think the LPGA players should dress in what they are comfortable wearing. If that means what their sponsors ask them to wear, then it is (I know I'd be more comfortable with a wad of cash in my shorts pockets). I don't agree with the argument that conservative dress = respect for the game . The PGA should allow players to wear shorts when they want. It was 90+ degrees in NC today with high humidity. Nbody in their right mind would be wearing pants. As far as I know the problem with the LPGA is that their TV contract with the Golf channel took them off of mainstream channels (which many people still frequent despite the fact that they have 800000 new channels) and their inability to properly promote their players. It sure as hell isn't their dress code or lack of respect for the game.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

First off; Why the comparison between men and women in regards to dress policies on a golf course?

Men are SUPPOSED to dress differently than women. That's true in any case. The OP's initial "complaint" is why the men have to adhere to a more "strict" dress code than women.

My simple response is; "So what"? Oh no, the men have to wear pants and (usually) collared shirts.

Yes, SOME ladies can look a bit "unprofessional", but the ladies that are doing that SHOULD be dressing in that way. Do we really want to see C. Kim in a snug fitting collared shirt w/ a short skirt?

I believe the ladies do a fine job by themselves in wearing what's appropriate for each one of them.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Why does everyone that argues on this board about tradition being stupid always just assume that the people who are for tradition are stuck up, old, or prudes? Im proud to say that Im a 26 year old, average guy, making an average salary, trying to make an average life for myself and my family. I work my ass off just so I can afford to play "The Gentlemans game" on the weekends and maybe once during the week if Im lucky. And I find it disrespectful when people come to play golf (especially at a nice course) in sloppy attire. I.E. baggy clothes, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, etc... I don't care how good at the game you are, if you look like a slob you are not helping the game! KEEP THE TRADITION OF THE GAME ALIVE AND DRESS LIKE A GENTLEMAN!!!

I think that the LPGA is failing to set a good example for womens golf and golf in general by allowing their "Pro's" on tour to wear sloppy attire such as sleeveless shirts, no collars, and an array of shorts (short, mid, long)... They need uniformity, ESPECIALLY when the men are not aloud to do the same...

And I do agree that the men should be aloud to wear GOLF SHORTS in certain climates. 100 degrees with 90% humidity is torture. I wouldn't play like that if I had to wear pants... Now, I know some tard will get on here and say Im contradicting what ive been saying, blah blah blah, but its not. Its still uniformed, and its practical. Golf shorts and a collared shirt still look clean and respectable. I wear it all summer long as does 99% of America. The day we start allowing tank tops is the day we've lost it...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

Why does everyone that argues on this board about tradition being stupid always just assume that the people who are for tradition are stuck up, old, or prudes? Im proud to say that Im a 26 year old, average guy, making an average salary, trying to make an average life for myself and my family. I work my ass off just so I can afford to play "The Gentlemans game" on the weekends and maybe once during the week if Im lucky. And I find it disrespectful when people come to play golf (especially at a nice course) in sloppy attire. I.E. baggy clothes, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, etc... I don't care how good at the game you are, if you look like a slob you are not helping the game! KEEP THE TRADITION OF THE GAME ALIVE AND DRESS LIKE A GENTLEMAN!!!

What really is "traditional"? It certainly isn't what the pros today wear. It might be knickers. It might be a jacket and tie. It might go much farther back than that if you want to talk specific styles. What constitutes proper golf attire has always been set by the largest demographic which played the game in any particular era. Currently that majority is drifting away from the country club set which has dominated the mores for the last 100 years. And the clothing seen often these days reflects that drift.

The fashions now are starting to reflect the fact that golf is being played by more and more people who have never set foot in a private or semi-private club. Many never will, and they owe no allegiance to that country club lifestyle, including those outmoded forms of dress. You can call it traditional to dress that way, but in reality, the traditional golf attire for any era has been dictated by whatever the majority of players have been wearing, and that was generally the basic casual or sports attire of the era. My feeling is that you show far more respect for the game and its traditions by how you comport yourself on the course, by your knowledge of and respect for the course and for the etiquette and rules of the game. Dressing like a slob may show a lack of self -respect, but it has nothing to do with the game of golf. By the same token, dressing to the nines may show that you care about your own appearance, but again it has nothing to do with the game itself. I'm not going to argue that basketball shorts and a tank top are appropriate.... they aren't. Not because they are sloppy, but by the same yardstick I spoke of above... Because they are not the typical casual sportswear of the largest population of golfers. These days in most regions that attire may still be a polo shirt with neat shorts or slacks. But in some cases those shorts can be neat cargo shorts (not the sloppy, wrinkled, hanging down to the ankles shorts), and at certain times of the year in some regions those slacks become jeans, and are considered perfectly acceptable, because a large contingent of the players in that area wear them as standard casual wear. I happen to be one of those uncouth people, yet I'm am quite certain that I have as much respect for the game as you do, and probably give more back to the game than you do. So you'll pardon me if I see myself as the traditionalist and you as an anachronism. I simply view tradition in a different vein than you do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the problem with this forum is people want to offer their opinion all to often, but don't want anyone else to offer theirs; how about we all just be open-minded enough to listen to what other people have to say.
Dictionary.com defines forum as this in its 3rd definition:
an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

Notice discussion, when people discuss they offer their opinion and are usually open to the opinions or thoughts of others. I am new to this forum but it just seems to me like a place where a bunch of "know-it-alls" come to flex their cerebral muscle and tell the OP or anyone else what they think about golf is wrong, their swing techniques are wrong, Taylormade is a bunch of hype, AJ Bonar is a loser though he has made more money than most(if not all) of the people on here.
It just gets old when you can't have an adult discussion without people acting like 3rd graders!

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

I'm one that wears dress shorts and usually a very breathable tan through style golf shirt (in the summer anyway), short ankle socks and FootJoys. That's just the way I like to dress while playing the game. My wife is the same. She like buying little golf outfits that make her feel better on the course. I seem to play better when I dress the way I feel is appropriate for me. I would probably feel a little paranoid if I had cut off jeans and a tee shirt, walking into the clubhouse where "the majority" had on nice shorts and collared shirt. I'll have to agree with Rick in that the "tradition" only reflects the current era. Back in ole G. Washington's day, they would have probably worn 10# of clothes, topping it off with the cute little white wig. Then there was the era with the bow ties and vest. Times change but that doesn't mean that it's gotten to the point that wearing trashy clothing is good for the sport. I certainly hope it doesn't get to that point.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

And I find it disrespectful when people come to play golf (especially at a nice course) in sloppy attire. I.E. baggy clothes, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, etc... I don't care how good at the game you are, if you look like a slob you are not helping the game! KEEP THE TRADITION OF THE GAME ALIVE AND DRESS LIKE A GENTLEMAN!!!

Do you feel as they are personally disrespecting you? If so, you are being quite self righteous. Please explain how wearing jeans and flip flops is disrespecting a piece of earth. Furthermore, please explain how dressing like that "hurts" the GAME. Explain how you wearing slacks and a polo shirt is "helping" the GAME.

And as far as a "gentlemans" game, you are expected to act like a gentleman. Clothes do not make a gentleman.

KEEP THE TRADITION OF THE GAME ALIVE AND DRESS LIKE A GENTLEMAN!!!

Since you are young, you will learn this lesson in time. Traditions CHANGE!

This guy would probably say you are breaking tradition with your long pants, non-button down shirt, and baseball cap:

Do you feel as they are personally disrespecting you? If so, you are being quite self righteous. Please explain how wearing jeans and flip flops is disrespecting a piece of earth. Furthermore, please explain how dressing like that "hurts" the GAME. Explain how you wearing slacks and a polo shirt is "helping" the GAME.

First off I never said "I personally felt disrespected" I said "I" find it disrespectful to the game, the course, etc... You, like 60% of the people on this forum, take everything out of context, and this isn't the first time for you "club champ." I realize things evolve, but sloppy clothing is not evolution of golf it is a lapse in judgement, just like the state of our economy, morals, & values... and THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AGE my friend...

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

First off I never said "I personally felt disrespected" I said "I" find it disrespectful to the game, the course, etc...

What did I take out of context? I simply asked you a question. Actually I asked you several but you have •••••footed around those. Would you care to respond to my previous comments?

At least you aren't denying you are a hypocrite...

I think the problem with this forum is people want to offer their opinion all to often, but don't want anyone else to offer theirs; how about we all just be open-minded enough to listen to what other people have to say.

This topic has developed into a discussion of values and taste. The original question perhaps invited that kind of response. The real issue is does the way a significant number of Golfers on the LPGA tour dress help to promote their tour in a reasonably positive manner. This is entertainment and that is the issue. This is not an activity marketed to anti establishement groups. As a mass market activity the profile is closer to Disney than Lady GA GA. Sloppy or even excessively sexy, no matter how much it might spark your fantasies does not help the LPGA. Look at how tightly the NFL and NBA control on court or field presentation. They are pros but also in a sense guests of the tournament sponsors, club, even our homes through our TV sets. Guests consider their hosts. Just like job interviews, or visits to your grandmother a little extra discretion is involved. Since a lot of these are active in a unique arena, and may come from widely varied counties and cultures, they may not recognize this. Most young people need time to separate the needs of business fashion from your personal fashion choices. This is their job and their attire needs to reflect that. Since it is golf that still leaves quite a bit of room.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

This topic has developed into a discussion of values and taste. The original question perhaps invited that kind of response. The real issue is does the way a significant number of Golfers on the LPGA tour dress help to promote their tour in a reasonably positive manner. This is entertainment and that is the issue. This is not an activity marketed to anti establishement groups. As a mass market activity the profile is closer to Disney than Lady GA GA. Sloppy or even excessively sexy, no matter how much it might spark your fantasies does not help the LPGA. Look at how tightly the NFL and NBA control on court or field presentation. They are pros but also in a sense guests of the tournament sponsors, club, even our homes through our TV sets. Guests consider their hosts. Just like job interviews, or visits to your grandmother a little extra discretion is involved. Since a lot of these are active in a unique arena, and may come from widely varied counties and cultures, they may not recognize this. Most young people need time to separate the needs of business fashion from your personal fashion choices. This is their job and their attire needs to reflect that. Since it is golf that still leaves quite a bit of room.

The ones who need attention from high schoolers to sell calendars and posters in order to earn a paycheck tend to wear less clothing. The players earning paychecks based on their game tend to dress appropriately. It's not very complicated.

Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!