IGNORED

460cc biggest they will go?

Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hikero makes golf clubs and club components. It had a customer web thread in which it asked for advice on designing the next great driver, or something like that.

Two top recommendations: Make a head smaller than 460 cc., and offer a 44-inch shaft option rather than just 46- or 47-.

If interested, check out their site:
www.hirekogolf.com/

They could make a 380 cc. headed driver and call it the Anti-Hammer! WOPPPPPPPPP .

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know ive seen drivers as large as 535 cc on ebay, but i doubt i would get any more distance out of anything more than 460 cc, it finally gets to the point where it gets so awkward to swing that if you go any larger than 460 cc. You might get more distance but hit it all over the place so it wouldnt lower your scores any, 300 yards out into the woods is not as good as 225 in the fairway.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

The 460cc limit doesn't have anything to do with the dimensions of the head (how high, wide, or deep it is). It has to do with how much water it offsets.

ok, i'll be the annoying geometry nerd here if no one else will. The volume of an object based on its dimensions is the SAME as the volume of water it displaces. Measuring volume by submersion is just a heck of a lot easier when it comes to complex 3D shapes (although maybe the original Sumo2 they could measure using a ruler!).

:)

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

The 460cc limit doesn't have anything to do with the dimensions of the head (how high, wide, or deep it is). It has to do with how much water it offsets.

What on earth are you talking about? Whoever said that the 460cc limit applied to anything other than volume?

Of course it relates to volume, because the limit applies to cc. The "size" is limited to a maximum of 460cc. Nobody is talking about feet or inches or centmetres in a lineal sense. If you think that a volume limit doesn't have anything to do with external dimensions, then I suggest an infants school geometry lesson.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What on earth are you talking about? Whoever said that the 460cc limit applied to anything other than volume?

I think he was trying to say you could have one 460cc head that looks much smaller than another yet they are both 460cc. The hibore monster looks huge compared to an r9 supertri for example. Although you are correct that the dimensions when added together should equal the same volume.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

I think he was trying to say you could have one 460cc head that looks much smaller than another yet they are both 460cc. The hibore monster looks huge compared to an r9 supertri for example. Although you are correct that the dimensions when added together should equal the same volume.

I know that, but the "size" of a driver relates to volume and the original post asks if they'd get bigger than 460cc.

Well, the point I was trying to make is you can have a one 460cc head that is "bigger" in the dimensions that count (height,width, and depth) than another simply by monkeying with the design (like caving in the top, as one person noted). That means we can already skirt the 460cc limit and make "bigger size" heads (height, width, and depth).

I'm glad it was obviously clear to you, but I wasn't so sure it was obviously clear to everyone (that's why I explained it). The next time you start to jump on someone for "explaining the obvious" you may want to think about the old saying: "everyone is ignorant about something--just different things", and meditate on the fact that the word "everyone" also includes you.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

ok, i'll be the annoying geometry nerd here if no one else will. The volume of an object based on its dimensions is the SAME as the volume of water it displaces. Measuring volume by submersion is just a heck of a lot easier when it comes to complex 3D shapes (although maybe the original Sumo2 they could measure using a ruler!).

yep, u win the nerd award for sure!! hahaha!

j/k bro
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

yep, u win the nerd award for sure!! hahaha!

When it comes to drivers, volume is not the same as size.

The Cleveland Hibore driver has a face are that is approx. 19% larger than a standard driver. How did that make a driver that head that has a wider and taller face without making the depth (from face to back) shorter? The made the top of the head concave. Larger driver, same volume. Yea, the 460cc limit was supposed to limit size, but as you can see with the Cleveland Hibore the size are volume are not always proportional. You can make a bigger driver head while keeping the volume the same.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I bought a Tour Strike driver at the K-Mart that was marked down to $18. It was 525 cc. It was kind of fun at the range. The only bad thing about it was the sound. It sounded like an empty #10 tin of porch beef.

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

The original HiBore, which i played for a season, was ~350cc measured volume (although the profile from above looked similar to a 460cc driver). They have progressively made them larger to maximize forgiveness. The current version such as Hi-Bore Monster XLS is an actual 460cc, as i believe was its predecessor. And if you look at them, the profile in no way looks traditional -- as the're incredibly deep when measured from face-to-back.

So yes, you can make smaller geometry look and perform similarly to larger geometry (i.e. the original hi-bore vs other 460cc clubs from a few years ago), but that didn't make the original a 460cc club. The latest versions are 460cc measured -- and to me, they look absolutely hideous!

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

• Administrator
When it comes to drivers, volume is not the same as size.

I think that for the intents and purposes of this thread, yes, it is.

You can have a deeper face or a wider face or a deeper body or a cutout like the HiBore, sure, but the clubhead is still going to be "larger" if it's 460cc than if it's 400cc. The crowns on some will appear larger than others, but volume is a measure of size, yes. A fat woman is still "large" even if she's 5'3" while a skinny woman is still "small" if she's 5'6".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well now its an argument of semantic. Example manute bol just passed away sadly and while all people marveled at his size, some marveled at how huge he was (7ft7in) while other marveled t how skinny he was (around 200 pounds). So one persons large isn't the same as anothers.

Well now its an argument of semantic

It is not a semantic argument. If a racing car was limited to a petrol tank of, say, 200 litres, they could make it any shape they liked. The size would not vary. The size is 200 litres, irrspective of shape. You could look at it from side on (or whatever) but it wouldn't alter the size.

The OP's question was very simple, and was given a very simple answer straight away. But...it's true that some 460cc drivers look more cumbersome than others, But they are all the same size/volume.

Yes well that's true but they don't all play the same size and this seems to be where the differences in opinions come in. Some are taking it literally and some by how it plays, at least that is my interpretation.

It is not a semantic argument. If a racing car was limited to a petrol tank of, say, 200 litres, they could make it any shape they liked. The size would not vary. The size is 200 litres, irrspective of shape. You could look at it from side on (or whatever) but it wouldn't alter the size.

Actually they could make what i would call the "size" of the tank much bigger and change it internally to only hold 200 litres if they wanted to add weight to the back of the car. However in this case the size of the clubhead itself is limited to 460cc's wich is what it displaces not what it can hold. Size is an

extremely subjective term, however, and most certainly does not equal volume only or there would be no need for the word volume. For instance the "size" of a river or lake is generally measured by how long and wide it is but not by it's volume of water it holds.

Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!