IGNORED

New from KY

oneoverwrx
Note: This thread is 5023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. New here from Richmond, Ky. About 20 minutes south of lexington and an hour south east of Louisville.

Played baseball all my life so i could put the club on the ball pretty well but struggled with control.
I started playing golf as a second or third hobby as a senior in highschool. Playing about once a month...shooting really bad, in the 110-120 range. Out there hitting balls laughing with friends.

In college continued to play about once a month and began to play a little better, in the low 100s. I never took the game seriously until i got a room mate who was a scratch golfer. We started playing about every other week. My game came along pretty decent i slowly became a bogey golfer. Started managing my game much better. Taking irons off the tee was a key for me at that time. It wasnt until the end of last summer when i went back to my driver. My swing had finally straightened out enough to use it.

Brings me to this year. Decided to slow down on the racing and start golfing as my main hobby. Racing was getting really expensive and dangerous as well. So...

Started off playing golf about every chance i got. Usually about 3-4 times a week. Usually 9 holes on monday and tuesday. 18 holes on thursday and saturday. Bought a new driver and putter and the confidence came with them. Started hitting my driver really well and the putter helped a ton as well. It seemed i was playing a lot better but only scoring in the high 80s. Decided to slow down and start practicing my short game...wedge shots. I was fine from beyond 80ish yds but inside that....bad. So with that practice i am now in the low low 80s 81 or 82 usually with an occasional 79...and 85. However...i usually can shoot 36-38 on 9 holes. It seems i have a hard time putting 18 solid holes together. Saturday i shot a 38 on the fron and a 43 on the back....I can easily count 5-10 strokes per round that are avoidable and my goal is to take that to a minimum.

Anyway....sorry for the book, glad to be here. I have decided to get a lesson to see what a pro thinks. It is thursday, ill let you all know how it goes.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

I would definately consider Gibson Bay to be my home course. I love it. I know the course well, so when i miss i know where i am. I also like the bull, probably be playing there this weekend. Another course i have started playing is Battlefield. It is a fairly easy course but is usually wide open and i can usually get 9 holes in in about 1 hour.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Changed my grip, moved the ball back to the middle of my stance(irons), worked on being wider at the transistion from back swing to forward swing, and worked on staying balanced. With less effort than before i was getting very good results. Was able to fly my drive roungly 280yds with the wind in our face. Was consistantly hitting my 6 iron 180 into the wind, on decent hits. Changing those things made it a little hard to hit it in the sweet spot right now but ball flight was perfect and thats what i was looking for.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Changed my grip, moved the ball back to the middle of my stance(irons), worked on being wider at the transistion from back swing to forward swing, and worked on staying balanced. With less effort than before i was getting very good results. Was able to fly my drive roungly 280yds with the wind in our face. Was consistantly hitting my 6 iron 180 into the wind, on decent hits. Changing those things made it a little hard to hit it in the sweet spot right now but ball flight was perfect and thats what i was looking for.

Care to share who you took a lesson with?

Jason Eberle. The pro at Gibson Bay. Played Kearney Hill today and....lets just say...i need some serious work if i am going to be changing all this stuff. My driver went to hell. Shot the worst i have in over a year. Lost alot of balls off the tee. It was working so well at the range. Have to get back to the range tomorrow and figure it out.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Nice to have ya here! I think I know you on kyhorsepower or kystreets not sure though. My name is padge on there also. I'm sure you come down to the cruise in, I have a 04 red cobra, hit me up if you come to the next one! Now on to golf, you should come play with me at my home course at eagle's nest country club. I have the same problem, game is tight on the range, but sucks balls on the course! Can't figure it out lol. I think its in our heads, I've always said I'm not smart enough to play this game. I let my temper get the best of me out there! Anyway sorry for my book.

Bag: Ascend Deluxe Stand Bag
Driver:Burner Superfast 9.5* Stiff
Irons:G5 4-pw awt stiff
3 Wood:X tour stiff fujikura tour platform 26.3
Hybrid:18* Flihi stiff, Burner rescue 19*Putter::Bettinardi C-01Wedges:CG12 52* Black Nickel 56* 60*Ball:Pro V1

Jason Eberle. The pro at Gibson Bay. Played Kearney Hill today and....lets just say...i need some serious work if i am going to be changing all this stuff. My driver went to hell. Shot the worst i have in over a year. Lost alot of balls off the tee. It was working so well at the range. Have to get back to the range tomorrow and figure it out.

Don't worry too much about it. Just keep practicing and you'll get there. It just takes a little time

Cool. I know who Jason is, but don't know him personally.

Kearney is one of my favorite courses but I don't play out there much anymore since they went and raised their prices. lol Any swing change is going to take time. I'm working on a few things in my own swing and I'm hitting the ball as bad as I have for as long as I can remember, but that's golf I guess.

About the lesson...yeah, it just sucks because i was finally starting to score well and was hitting alot of fairways and GIRs and yesterday i hit 3/14 fairways and maybe 3-4 GIR. I will be going to the range today and i am going to hit as many as it takes to staraighten this out, i dont care if i hit 200 balls.

padge- I am not sure if i know you personally but i have seen you on either kyhp or kystreets. I am wrxguy20 on kyhp and oneoverwrx on kystreets. I would love to get together and play. I am always down to play new places. Shoot me a message on kyhp, i am on there a little more than here. I missed this last cruise but do plan on coming down for a few more. Without a car to drive around its kind of depressing/boring.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Will do man. I'll sell you a cobra!

Bag: Ascend Deluxe Stand Bag
Driver:Burner Superfast 9.5* Stiff
Irons:G5 4-pw awt stiff
3 Wood:X tour stiff fujikura tour platform 26.3
Hybrid:18* Flihi stiff, Burner rescue 19*Putter::Bettinardi C-01Wedges:CG12 52* Black Nickel 56* 60*Ball:Pro V1

I would love to have another 03-04 cobra. Problem is with the new house and my golf addiction, there is no way for me to afford one.

Update on my game...Went to the range, hit about 150 balls. About 50-60 balls into my first big bucket, i decided to give up on the grip. I still used all the other components and instantly started hitting my irons much better. Once i did that and got my irons going good. I switched over to my driver, prior to the lesson my most accurate club. Tried it with the new grip for about 3 balls....decided to go back to my grip and my ball posistion. Posistion of the ball is approximately 3 inches in front of my left foot. I know this isnt technically correct but i can crust the ball, move the ball how i wish and i am completely comfortable and confident which is probably the most important thing of all.

Played in a scramble yesterday and hit alot of good shots. Was a little worried about the driver until i hit my first drive. A bomb that left us about 160 out on a par 5. We were hitting uphill so i grabbed a 7 iron and took a smooth 85ish% swing and we are on with a pretty flat 15 footer. We all miss and tap in for birdie.....But at that point i was back on track. We didnt play our pencil well enough to win but i am happy with my game getting back on track.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

It is really the only way with my swing i can get the ball to do what i want. I really go after it and it works for me. Even on off center hits i still carry the ball 250ish. The one thing i dislike about the way i do this is i tend to hit the ball very high. I have recently been working on keeping the ball down when i need to and it seems to be a simple follow through adjustment.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Welcome, I've lived in KY(Muhlenberg Co.) all my life, except for my 4 years in the Air Force. Enjoy the forum and good luck with your lessons

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!