IGNORED

Do you give/ask advice when paired with strangers?

acegolfer
Note: This thread is 5046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So you play with a buddy and realize he has a huge sway - he asks you if he does something wrong and you mention the big sway. Now what? Its against human nature to just tell him - sorry, i dont have a clue how to fix this - you probably remember some incomplete information you read somewhere in Golfdigest and tell him he should rotate against a stable right leg. He takes your advice to heart and straightens it and tries rotating against it. Only problem is - the leg should always be flexed, and your buddy is faced with a new, maybe accumulating problem. You see where this is going?

Yeah, I see where it's going, but it only goes there if you take it there; I don't think that's at all a convincing reason to gag yourself. If you're unable to admit you don't have a clue how to fix something, then ok, don't say anything at all. But that seems pretty lame to me. I'd expect a friend to lend a hand if he saw something and was asked for advice.

And heck, even if you do decide to make a bad suggestion, I think your buddy will probably survive. I'm all in favor of getting lessons to get better at the game, but I think people get a bit carried away with the idea that we should only learn technique from trained professionals. It might be the fastest way from A to B, but it's not the only way. I mean, just look at some of the discussions on this forum. Plenty of people seem to be debugging their own problems. Since you can't watch your own swing, sometimes having a partner to do the watching can help.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I NEVER give advice on swings , I hate it when i am having a bad day and some hack thinks he is a teaching pro and tries to help me. The only advice i will give to a complete stranger is, when i play with a new golfer and he is like a yard off the green and he keep on trying to use his sandwedge but he keep on catching it thin or fat I tell him to try to bump and run it with a 6-iron.

Irons X-22 Tour irons 3-PW
Driver Superfast TP
Fairway Wood Burner 3W
wedge 50 degree
wedge GS-15 56 DegreeWedge 62 degreePutter ZebraBall TP LDP Red B330 tour

I NEVER give advice on swings , I hate it when i am having a bad day and some hack thinks he is a teaching pro and tries to help me. The only advice i will give to a complete stranger is, when i play with a new golfer and he is like a yard off the green and he keep on trying to use his sandwedge but he keep on catching it thin or fat I

and the ball runs off the back of the green?

I hate that tip.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

My friends and I share and offer advice. Looks like you're doing this, or looks like you stopped doing that. Rarely with a stranger unless they ask or offer.

CARBITE Putter

I never give unsolicited advice (about anything - not just golf).

If someone asked me a specific question, I would try to help, but there is a big difference between someone asking something relatively easy like "How is my grip?" vs an all-encompassing and very difficult to answer question like "What am I doing wrong?".

On rare occasions I have asked better players things like "How would you play this shot?" if I find myself in a situation I haven't encountered often (or never play well when I have).

This is a question which is only relevant in a casual practice round, as giving or asking for advice is a rules violation.

I don't give or ask for swing advice ever. I don't have the training to teach anyone about the golf swing, and I wouldn't take such advice from anyone I play with, regardless of his skill level, unless he is an instructor who I've paid for a playing lesson.

What I will do in casual round (if asked) is offer help to someone who is unfamiliar with the course in figuring out a shot from a course management perspective, explain the risks (if any) and what his options are. This is still a rules breach, but it's also just a friendly gesture in a noncompetitive round. Although I hold myself to a high rules standard, I'm not a rules cop for other players in a casual round. I will typically only volunteer rules information if another player shows interest, unless we're playing in a competition.

I will always give anyone information on the the rules or on distances when asked, as this is permitted under the rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only advice I give is to a friend who is playing with me for the first time on a course I normally play, and I'll tell him where the line is off the tee. I'll ask about that if I'm playing on a new course if my partners are familiar with it, but that's all. I NEVER give or ask for advice about how to hit a shot.

Yes ill ask about blind greens at a new course. I will offer unsolicited course advice to a newbie on one of my courses, nobody has ever told me that they didnt want my help in that sense. I helped one girl about 2 weeks ago, she was struggling and in a greenside bunker, I tolde her to putt out(no lip) and she questioned me, but I said just try it, she rolls to 3 feet of cup. Other than that just tips to my sons and wife nothing more.

Note: This thread is 5046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!