IGNORED

Rules in laymans terms?

mdbuschsr
Note: This thread is 5026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there a resource that reliably translates the USGA rules legalese into layman's terms correctly. I would like to be able to follow the rules to the best of my ability, but frankly I don't want to take the time to read, and reread the rules 5 million times to make sure I am following the rules. Given the number of bashing threads that I have read I am reticent to post my stupid questions for the sake of clarity and understanding.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

It really doesn't take that long to read the rules, you could probably get through all of them in half an hour or less. I don't think there's a good substitute for this, as it's hard to really understand them without getting into the "legalese."

I recommend Tom Watson's annotated rule book. It's a few years out of date now, but very few rules have changed substantially. It really is the full rules, but it includes extra information on important ones, including stories about how they've come up in play, and explanations for the logic behind some. It's a bit less dry than the rules on their own.

The other thing I'd recommend is reading both the rules and the decisions. Some of the decisions are really fascinating when you realize some of the situations that have come up in play. Perhaps it doesn't rise to best seller reading material, but I think it's fun to browse them from time to time.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Watson's book, as zeg suggests, is a great reference. Another good one is Arnold Palmer's "Playing by the Rules."

Watson's book explains the rules and, if I remember correctly, justification for them -- why a lost ball isn't a free drop, for example. Palmer's book is more about when the rules come up in different situations, typically in professional tournaments.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've heard that "Golf Rules Illustrated" is a pretty good rule book.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a couple links on Amazon

Playing by the Rules:
All the Rules of the Game, Complete with Memorable Rulings From Golf's Rich History

http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Rules-.../dp/0743446089

The RULES OF GOLF - THROUGH 1999

http://www.amazon.com/RULES-GOLF-THR.../dp/0671003143

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Note: This thread is 5026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!