IGNORED

Longer driver shaft makes sense ......

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So cut it down.

I've got all the equipment needed to cut down my driver, but should I? Does swing weight, kick-point and all of that stuff matter? Getting it reshafted is probably the best way to go, but there can hardly be much of a difference from gripping down to cutting it down.

It's only a $150 driver, so I'm not afraid of doing it, just wanted to hear some opinions on it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got all the equipment needed to cut down my driver, but should I? Does swing weight, kick-point and all of that stuff matter? Getting it reshafted is probably the best way to go, but there can hardly be much of a difference from gripping down to cutting it down.

Chopping 1" off will drop it 6 sw points. Adding a winn lite grip will raise it about 6 sw points. Easy peasy...

I have stated in another post that most fitters and teachers are recommending shorter shafts rather than teach someone to swing properly. I have been using a 48" shaft for years and at age 65, put it out there 265 carry. Do I miss a few fairways, yes but not that many and certainly less than my shorter shafted buddies. It's all about perfecting one's swing; once that is done, you should be able to hit a 60" shaft.

People who understand what it takes to hit it long, will all recommend longer shaft for driver, no exceptions.
Allthough I like the idea of a shorter shafted driver and have done so myself too, I also can imagine it makes sense for some to have a longer shaft.

Theres a big difference between cutting down and gripping down
cause when you cut it down and grip down its shorter

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Rather than go shorter, I went with a stiffer shaft and more loft, and the result is a very effective combination (20% more accurate than my older club, just a hair shorter, but also a higher, straighter ball).

At the end of the day, there are already an infinite number of variables when you take brand, club model, loft and shaft type into consideration, so I just don't want to start screwing around with length too. If you do, do you go 44"? 44.5"? 44.75"? At what swing weight? And what is the impact of various shaft and loft combinations at the new length you select?

Ya that's why i havnt done it yet
All i know is if i pick up someone else's driver thats a 45 it feels a million times better.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I have stated in another post that most fitters and teachers are recommending shorter shafts rather than teach someone to swing properly. I have been using a 48" shaft for years and at age 65, put it out there 265 carry. Do I miss a few fairways, yes but not that many and certainly less than my shorter shafted buddies. It's all about perfecting one's swing; once that is done, you should be able to hit a 60" shaft.

I don't actually know how long my driver shaft is, but I hit it straighter when I grip down. I don't really think to much about how to "hit it long". I just want to "keep it in play".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It is not so that if Professionals use 44.5" to 45.0" drivers shafts that we all have to do what they do. A professional golfer plays golf to make money, with a 120 mph swingspeed they need to be at the fairwy, so I understand they go for accuracy, still they hit 350 yds many times.

But just take a look at the senior tour, many shafts of 46" and even longer, and some of these guys also play the really longshots.

320 - 330 yds. might seem long to most of us, still if you hit a great shot (once in a while) it is not impossible. I hit a drive of about 325-335 yds. about every round of golf and have been even further (with the help of wind in the back and a good bounce forward) with my standard 45" Callaway FT-iZ 9.5 Tour stiff. It is just like hitting a 5i pure and it goes 200 yds..... same thing happens with the driver.......

We have two par 4's of about 330 yds. both can be reached from the tee, not only I can, but we have a few longhitters that have done so and we also have a 395 yds par 4, mostly with wind from behind that has had drives being close to the green.

It is all ...... just drives hit at the true sweetspot !

I once hit my 6* driver with the 48" X flex shaft at the very sweetspot and it is still flying ...... it went well over 400 yds.

But I agree with all ..... 44.0 to 45.0 is best for the average driver.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I'm not sure why a 300-yard drive raises eyebrows. To say you do it with any kind of consistency or to say it carries 300 might be silly but I'm not very big and not all that great and I've hit a couple 300 yarders. I do have a fast swing speed but if I hit 250 usually I feel like I "got all of it" But despite my disbelief I've ended up around the 300 mark a few times so I'm not going to doubt guys.

In Tiger Woods '11 I hit over 420 a few times so THERE.

In the Sasquatch Bag:

Driver: R9 460cc 9.5°
Hybrids: Big Bertha Diablo 21° 24°Wedges: SV Tour 52° 56° 60°Irons: Power Max TRX Ion Control 5-PWPutter: tm100 Tour PreferredBall: e6

To hit 300 yards you need the swing for it anyways. Doesn't matter what club you use. If you can't handle a 44", a 45" will most likely not help you at all.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's all about perfecting one's swing; once that is done, you should be able to hit a 60" shaft.

Oh, is that all it takes? Well then, right after I cure cancer and figure out the female mind, I'll get right on it.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!