IGNORED

NYC/NJ Course

Note: This thread is 4953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone knows golf courses reachable by public transport in the New York City / Jersey City ?
I am sick and tired of playing Van Cortlandt and Dyker. I need some change. I usually play alone or with a friend so zipcar is too expensive for us.

Burner 10.5 *
Burner 15*
Rescue 19*
Voit V5 Hybrid 24*
MX-25 5-PW CG14 52*,56*,60* Ignite 002

I can see how playing the same course can get boring, but I think the length of the rounds at these courses exacerbates the situation. It wouldn't be as bad if you could get a weekend 4 hour round in these courses but 5-7 hour rounds are the norm.

You can take the SI ferry to the SI and bus it over to La Tourette. A long trip though.

Or take the LIRR to Farmingdale and 20 min walk or $6 cab ride to Bethpage.

One thing you can try with Zipcar is get two rounds for the price of one rental. Rent for one day around 3-4pm, get a late round in and then get an early round the next day.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, Long Island is your best bet. You need a car to get to any spots in Jersey that aren't private. I used to live in Ditmas Park and finding a place to golf besides Dyker was a pain in the ass.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

There's also a meetup.com nyc golf group. Never played with them, but you might be able to share expenses.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 month later...
Hi moadhia!

I am living in Vietnam. I plan to visit NYC in early Oct.2010 and also play golf there. I wonder if we can play together as I dont know much about golf courses in NYC.

Hi moadhia!

If you are coming all the way from Vietnam definitely skip the courses in NYC and head out to Long Island. Bethpage, Willow Creek, and Pine Ridge are my suggestions. If you need more suggestions just let me know.

« Keith »

Anyone knows golf courses reachable by public transport in the New York City / Jersey City ?

Yeah I'd suggest the LIRR and cab to Bethpage. You can split the cab fare and you would be able to choose from 5 courses. You might even want to play 27/36 holes since you are making the trip.

If you want something closer you could also go to Forest Park GC via the J train and walk a bit. Douglaston GC is also a bit of a walk from the Port Washington LIRR line.

« Keith »

@ wrx_junki: Thanks for your info.

Actually, I spend my 3-week holidays in US (Oct. 10-27). I plan to play some rounds of golf in NYC, BOS, LAX. Can you or anyone give me some recommendations for nice golf courses in or nearby NYC, BOS, LAX? I wonder if I can rent a club set there? Can you suggest me any website where I can book tee-time online? If anyone living in these cities, I am very happy if you can join with me.

Cheers

Hi wrx!

I just read some comments about Bethpage black and it seems to be very interesting course for a 17HDC player like me.
Supposed that we rate Bethpage as 10points, how do you rank these about courses compared to Bethpage black? In terms of the challenge, the landscape, the services, etc.

I also check the tee time booking but it's not applicable for one golfer playing. Do you think that i have to book in advance or just walkin and join with any flight less than 4golfers?

Thanks for your advices

Bethpage Black is a very difficult course to walk on to without a reservation, and it's difficult to get a reservation if you're not a new york state resident. As a single there is a small chance you could get on, but luckily, if you can't there are 4 other 18 hole courses at Bethpage to play. I recommend the Red Course as a second choice.

Bethpage Black is a very difficult course to walk on to without a reservation, and it's difficult to get a reservation if you're not a new york state resident. As a single there is a small chance you could get on, but luckily, if you can't there are 4 other 18 hole courses at Bethpage to play. I recommend the Red Course as a second choice.

Really? Although I haven't been playing Black but I've seen tee times available for walk on's on Black regularly whenever I go and as a single you are very likely to find a tee time. The drop off from Black to Red is quite big IMO.

Willow Creek I rate it very high in service and conditions. Not as hard as Black but hard enough. Pine Ridge is up there in service but conditions can vary. The place can play long from the tips. Pine Hills is a fairly easy par 73 course and is nice overall. Nice practice area.

« Keith »

maybe during the week it's different, but i'm usually at bethpage on the weekends, and i've rarely seen an open slot for the Black. And in terms of difficulty nothing at Bethpage is as difficult at the Black by far, but the Red is a beautiful, well maintained course and has quite a few challenging holes.

My experience is if you go on a weekday, around 6-7am, you'll see around 10-25 slots listed on the computer, each slot could be a single to a foursome, but they are mostly singles or twosomes.

If you go on a weekend, around the same time, there are far fewer slots available. Maybe 10 at most. Sometimes none. There is a big difference on the weekends.

Steve

Eisenhower Park's courses are not far off the LIRR Westbury station.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!