IGNORED

10.5* vs. 11.5* Driver

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm thinking about getting the TaylorMade R9 460 driver since they can be had for less than $200. My current driver is 10.5* and I tend to hit the ball with a low trajectory. Anyone have any experience with the 11.5* degree drivers? I've hit drivers of various lofts into those simulator screens but I really don't feel comfortable making a purchase based on those results. Unfortunately I don't know of any places that I can test this particular driver on a range with the 11.5* loft.

Would I have any more control with the 11.5* or find it 'easier' to hit?

By all means go to a 11.5 if you are hitting it low. It also should help keep the side spin off too.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I have played the Ping G10 12* since first available. When I was fit for the club, I was leery (I don't want to play an "old man's club"). It is very easy to hit; side spin is greatly reduced which means more straight tee shots. Too bad that more manufacturers don't make "high" lofted drivers!

Driver & FW: Ping G10 12* Driver & 17* 4W w UST Proforce V2 HL Reg
Hybrids: Adams A7 19* & 22* w UST Mamiya ProForce AXIVCore Reg
Irons: MP-60 5 - 9 w Nippon Shaft 950GH Reg
Wedges: Eidolon 48* 52* 56* 60* w SCoR Graphite Reg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X3

I think you should go with what works best for you, which in all likelihood will be the 11.5. One of the first drivers I ever owned was a Hogan H40 11.5* that I hit really well but was the source of a lot of ridicule from my playing partners because it was an "old man's club" so I sold it and bought a 7 degree Ping TiSi driver that was difficult to hit well despite the modern technology and the oversize head. The lesson learned was to go with what works for you rather than what everyone else thinks you should be playing. If you have the opportunity to do so, demo both and go with the one that you can hit the best.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Hmmm ..... maybe it is better to go for a 9.5* and learn how to hit the higher ball with less backspin !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Hmmm ..... maybe it is better to go for a 9.5* and learn how to hit the higher ball with less backspin !

Hmmmm....maybe it is better to go with what works for him ! He is looking for something that is easier to hit. He isn't looking for a club that he has to spend hours on the range figuring out.

What does it even matter. There is nothing wrong with with hitting a 10.5, 11.5, 12, or even a 3 wood of the tee, whatever keeps it in the fairway and puts you in better position.

Hit whatever helps your game.

Would you rather hit the 11.5 degree driver and shoot a 40 or hit a 9.5 degree driver and shoot a 42? I know which one I'll pick everytime.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as I know, higher loft only affects launch angle (or at least that's what a storekeeper at my local proshop told me). However, I have also heard that the lower the loft the harder it is to square the face at impact (don't know whether that's true or not). An 11.5* driver will certainly help you hit the ball higher.

As far as I know, higher loft only affects launch angle (or at least that's what a storekeeper at my local proshop told me). However, I have also heard that the lower the loft the harder it is to square the face at impact (don't know whether that's true or not). An 11.5* driver will certainly help you hit the ball higher.

I don't think it makes it easier to square, that is independent of the loft, some believe that offset aids squaring the face. Loft does change the spin characteristics a bit, more loft = more forgiving for most. You can have a very good swing but swing up less than average, espically if you keep your hands forward later than is typical. If this is the case more loft compensates. Getting all hung up on what is a manly loft is a mistake. Even with a high swing speed if you don't like to tee the ball high, hit down with a driver, or perhaps have a stack and tilt swing so you don't hit the ball quite as high as you want, trying more loft may work. The goal is to get the best combination of distance and accuracy for yourself.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

What is the kickpoint of the shaft on your current driver? If you have a high-kick shaft, this would give you a lower trajectory. Any chance you could hit you current driver and the R9 on a launch monitor and compare?

Check out Golf Digest and Lee Westwood - What's In My Bag . LW says he uses an 11* G15 because the higher loft helps him shape his tee shots:
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equip...ood-my-golfbag

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Over the last many years I've played with everything from an 8.5 degree to an 11 in my driver, and even carried a 13 degree driver instead of a 3 wood just to try it.

What I found is that different driver model and shaft combinations have a huge impact on trajectory and ultimately the height of my tee shots - more so than simply the loft of the driver head.

Right now I am playing an 11 degree i15 with a pretty strong shaft for me and have been contemplating switching to a reg shaft and a 9.5 degree head.

As for you - I would not hesitate to try a higher lofted driver and suspect you'd hit it straighter if not higher than the 10.5

• 3 years later...
I'm a low handicapper and I use a bog standard 11.5 Callaway X Hot with a reg shaft,it works a treat for me,if I'm in to a strong wind,I just Tee it a little lower and move it half an inch to an inch back in my stance. I've never used anything less than 10 but the 11.5 keeps it up there a bit longer and allows me to rip it a bit more without being to wayward.;-)

• 6 years later...
Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!