IGNORED

Worst golf of my life

DaSportsGuy
Note: This thread is 4986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two days before golf tryouts I'm striping my drives right down the middle. The day before and the first two days of tryouts I'm pull-hooking everything and struggling to stay in double digits. I haven't shot over 100 in over a year and the first two days of golf tryouts I've shot a 103 and 100. The courses aren't the easiest in the world, but I shoot at worst be shooting a 95, probably even 91 or 92. I have absolutely lost my swing.

I was going good until I get to about 13 both days and then the pull-hooks just take over and I start doubling and tripling. 1-12 I don't exactly tear it up but I at least manage to get by despite having a big high draw and big looping hooks with my irons.

I am so freakin frustrated. I was ready to snap my 8-iron in half after I pulled my 4th shot with it on a Par 4 from about 150 out. I'm half tempted just to hit three 8 irons to get to Par 4 greens, two putt, and just accept the bogey instead of putting my tee shot on the other fairway or in the woods and punching out and trying to make bogey hitting my third shot into a Par 4 from 175 out.

On 17 I was ready to just say •••• it never play golf again. But then after chipping in for par I had second thoughts.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

thats the way it goes... i remember 8 years ago, during my high school tryouts, a good friend of mine, who is a great golfer, had some nervous issues so he ended up shooting well over 90 the first two days.

he was obivously a golfer by his swing so the coach let him on...the first match we had, he ended up shooting somewhere in the low 70's and blew everyone away.

it happens...hopefully your coach recognizes potential.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I suppose there's two schools of thought on how to handle this:

One might say to go to the driving range and work it out

The other might say to try and forget yesterday. Tomorrow's a new day

Sounds to me like you are tense. When I get nervous, frustrated, "feel the pressure" , whatever.... I tend to tense up and pull my long game shots and flub my short game shots. I am stressed, therefore (without really physicaly feeling it or recognizing it in my swing) my body tightens up.

Personally, I would go with option 2. Try and forget yesterday's round. Do whatever relaxes you, be paitent and play your game the next day.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Honestly, I'm not really nervous at all. I was a little nervous the first day but the second day I felt great. It's just my swing comes and goes and it drives me absolutely crazy. On any given day I can shoot an 83 or a 103.

Career Bests:

Home Course:

2) Mayfair Country Club

On any given day I can shoot an 83 or a 103.

Welcome to the 12.x index

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

I suppose there's two schools of thought on how to handle this:

I'd go with option 1. Hit the range right after the round and figure out what's wrong. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it could come back at any time. That could just be my personality though.

I think I've finally got it figured out. I was working on it on the range and my golf coach came over and within five minutes I was hammering the ball as far and as straight as I ever have.

I went out and played the Back 9 soon after and carded a 43. Could've easily been a 40 but the putts just weren't falling. Rimmed two out and left one hanging on the edge of the cup a millimeter short.

Career Bests:

Home Course:

2) Mayfair Country Club

Do you have a pre-shot routine you do before EVERY shot? This is beginning to help me tremendously. I have actually worked in a simple drill as my pre-shot routine.

Do you have a pre-shot routine you do before EVERY shot? This is beginning to help me tremendously. I have actually worked in a simple drill as my pre-shot routine.

No but I've been trying to. I just can't seem to come up with something that works for me. I really need to find something though. Consistency is key in golf.

Career Bests:

Home Course:

2) Mayfair Country Club

I feel your pain. I played the worst golf of my life several years back when I tried out for my high school team. Then today lol I went to play golf and played god awful. Hit my driver sky high all day, topped my 3 and 5 woods, chunking every iron, and bladed every wedge. Ugh, it was a frustrating day. But the last time I had a day like this a couple months ago, I shook it off, and 2 days later went to the toughest course in my area and shot a 95, which is about what I average, but honestly the way I had hit the ball that day it felt a lot lower. Golf is a crazy game. You'll have one day where you could almost pass as a low handicapper or scratch golfer, another day where it looks like you just picked up a club for the first time in your life last night.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I feel your pain. My freshman year i shot 56 on the front and a 37 on the back. Crazy game.

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

Note: This thread is 4986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!