IGNORED

Do I need a Sand Wedge?

Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a newbie in golf and just bought myself a new set of clubs. The set came with the irons 3-pw. I borrowed my friends set before and I noticed that there was a sand wedge, but my new set did not have it. Is it necessary to have a sand wedge or can another iron replace it?

Although I played for a long time (nearly 20 years off and on) without a sand wedge, I don't recommend doing that. In my opinion, it can be one of the most important clubs in your bag. A sand wedge with medium bounce is an extremely versatile club which can be used for full shots, and for me is indispensable for almost any scrambling around the green, from chipping to high pitches to bunker recovery... I use it for almost everything.

I recommend getting one around 56° with 10°-11° of bounce (my Vokey is 56-11) and then spend a lot of time in a short game practice area and really learn how to use it. Learn how it works with the face square to the line, then try the same shot with the face open. Play the ball in different places in your stance and see how that changes the trajectory and roll. Don't be afraid to experiment when you're practicing, but only use what you've gained confidence with when you are on the course. With practice this can become one of your favorite clubs, as mine is for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry the following wedges

PW 130 yards
52 100 yards
56 90 yards
60 60 yards

without a sw or other wedges it make the shots within 100 yards more difficult unless you can take yardage off your PW. you can start with a 56 degree wedge but remember you should be aware of bounce on the wedges before you make your purchase.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I was given solid advice to start off with a 4-pw set and grow my collection as I learned what I can hit and where. Over the several months I started out, my PW was consistently landing me 100-120 yard shots. I could cut the swing down to get 50-70ish yards, and this really developed a lot of control for me. Getting out of bunkers wasn't so bad with the PW, and neither was a close chip onto the green. So, do I need a sand wedge? Absolutely not.

However, this past weekend I played 36 holes, and I noticed that my PW (while fairly consistent) required a lot more control from around the green. After this weekend, I realized I still don't need a 54*-56* wedge, but I certainly would like to have it in my bag for that extra control. Needless to say, I picked up one for cheap.

Peeking out of my Ascent stand bag

Hyper X 10*
3, 5, 7 X Fairway Woods
MP-57 4-PW MP-T10 56*-10 White Hot #1

I've found that I have much better luck with my pitching wedge than I do with my sand wedge.

"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."- John Wayne

Well actually it kinda depends on what kind of sand is in the bunkers at your course, if it is loose and fluffy .... buy a Sandwedge with about 12* Bounce.

I think higher lofted wedges are to difficult for less experienced golfers, you have to hit closer to the ball, they have less bounce and you have to swing harder. What TV talking heads call the chunk and run is easier with around 56 loft and 12-16 degrees of bounce. A wider head is easire to use for less expert sand players as well. I wouldn't add a 58-60 degree wedge until I was decent with my sand wedge.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

id say a sand wedge is a must!

i have a 52 / 56 /60 clevelands in my bag... if your looking for just one wedge then the 56 is prob your best bet!

Carry Bag
G10 Driver
G10 3 Wood
MP 60 Irons (4 - PW)
Eye 2 Sand Wedge Scotty Cameron Fast Back Putter Pro V1 & Pro V1x Balls ICON Shoes Gloves

• iacas changed the title to Do I need a Sand Wedge?
Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!