IGNORED

Callway X-Forged vs Nike Split Cavity/blade

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've quite frequently hit the Callaway X-forged and like them a lot. I've also hit the Nike Full Cavity and liked it, but am looking for something a little more demanding as my ball striking continues to get better.

Anyone here hit these clubs and what were your thoughts? I know I love the Callaway, but have heard some great things about the Nike's this year, unfortunately my pro shop only carries Callaway and some Cobra so I've been limited as to what I 've actually been able to hit first hand.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

X-forged is a great club. For a "player's iron" its relatively easy to hit and has a classic shape and feel that I love.

The Nike's I've heard a lot of great things about. Never hit but from the sounds of it, its a great club in general and assume it would be a bit more forgiving than the X-forged.

I don't think you can go wrong with either or...especially with the prices I've been seeing on both of them.

With that said, hate to beat a dead horse and bring this topic up again but at a 26 handicap...are you sure you want to be looking at player's irons? Though the X-Forged aren't blades by any means, they are fairly demanding...One would stick with what you have and work on bringing your handicap down and work on your swing consistency and ball striking before you go and buy a new set of irons.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

As far as price you are absolutely right and that's what has intrigued me in regards to the clubs. I love the X-Forged, but keep hearing things about these Nike's and I need some new sticks before next year. I've changed the driver, wedges, putter and now it's the irons turn.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

I'd go with the Callaways. I've seen some very attractive prices on the X-forged irons. I'm looking at buying a set of blades or muscle backs and I'm on the bubble between the X-forged and some Mizuno MP-33s.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Try and hit both. I am one who loves the split cavity irons and I am very glad I went with them, just my 2 cents.. Main thing is going to be on how they feel to you and how each one compares

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

Try and hit both. I am one who loves the split cavity irons and I am very glad I went with them, just my 2 cents.. Main thing is going to be on how they feel to you and how each one compares

I agree, get what feels the best for you. I love my split cavity irons as well, but it was a big change for me going from a GI Iron to the split-cavity. Either way let us know what you decide.

Driver: 909D2 9.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
Wood: 909F2 13 Degree Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Hybrid: 909H 17 Degree Diamana Blue Stiff
Irons: VR Forged Split Cavity 3-PW Project X 5.5
Putter: Newport 2.5Wedges: SV Tour 56 and 60Bag: Sasquatch 2010 Stand BagBall: Pro V1X

Callaway X-Forged is more playable than many people think. If you use Maltby's six-category MPF classification (golf digest only uses three), the X-Forged is considered Game Improvement. It actually has MPF = 621, which is a few points higher than the X22 Tour with MPF = 594.

I test hit the Nike split cavities, and they had good feel. Also, they are trimming the prices on it. Nike VR Forged SCs have a high Vertical Center of Gravity, meaning lower trajectory, and are consider Classic "MPF =328" (less user-friendly) irons.

But as golfro cautions, you have a 26 HDCP. The X-Forged would look impressive in the bag, but are they best irons for you at this stage of the game? How much time can you devote to developing your game?

I must confess, the place where I have a golf lesson Wednesday has a slightly used set of X-Forged with ProjectX 5.0 flighted shafts for sale. I want to at least test-fire them.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will be the one to say it.... they will be very hard to hit consistently at a 26 handicap. If you can find a set try to track down some x-22 tours they are a lot more forgiving than the x-forged. I think they would still be difficult to hit but would be a lot less frustrating than the x-forged. Moving to a blade/muscle back iron is a great idea when your ball striking is a stronger part of your game. I'd say once your handicap gets mid to low teens then it's a good time to make the move to an x-forged etc. However it is your money so good luck with whatever you buy...
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I haven't updated my handicap and am actually at an 18 now.
I appreciate the caution about the X-Forged and their playability, but iron play has always been my strongest area. Driving and putting are what have kept me up.

In addition I have hit the X-Forged regularly as one of my regular playing partners games them. I have found them relatively easy to hit and love the feel they give compared to my sledge hammers.

Thanks for the ratings on the Nike's though. If they are rated that much lower than the X-forged I think i'll skip the time involved in hitting the Nike's and focus in on the X-forged.

I have looked at x-20 and x-22 tours as well and didn't mind the feel of them. After playing my Big Bertha's though I LOVE the feel of a forged club.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood

I agree with most everyone on here, that it's all about how they feel in your hands. I hit about 100 balls with the split cavity's before I bought them. Hopefully will be using them by the end of the week if FedEx is on time.
taylormade.gif - R9 SuperTri TP 8.5˚ Driver
taylormade.gif - R9 TP 15˚ 19˚ Fairway Woods
nike.gif - VR Split Cavity 2-PW Irons
nike.gif - VR Black 52° 56° Wedges
cameron.gif - Newport 2 34" Putter

I agree with most everyone on here, that it's all about how they feel in your hands. I hit about 100 balls with the split cavity's before I bought them. Hopefully will be using them by the end of the week if FedEx is on time.

I hate that Fed Ex wait. I waited and waited for my driver and wedges, went for a quick lunch with the wife and missed the first delivery attempt! Still managed to get them that day for Men's Night tho :)

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood

Haha. Well I ordered them from GPPgolf.com for $389.99 and like $10 Shipping. In the past they always left them on my porch, I just hate that I have my league at 4:30 and FedEx comes anywhere between 10am and 6pm. Decent size window there. At least I'll be able to have the whole weekend to practice with them.
taylormade.gif - R9 SuperTri TP 8.5˚ Driver
taylormade.gif - R9 TP 15˚ 19˚ Fairway Woods
nike.gif - VR Split Cavity 2-PW Irons
nike.gif - VR Black 52° 56° Wedges
cameron.gif - Newport 2 34" Putter

Haha. Well I ordered them from GPPgolf.com for $389.99 and like $10 Shipping. In the past they always left them on my porch, I just hate that I have my league at 4:30 and FedEx comes anywhere between 10am and 6pm. Decent size window there. At least I'll be able to have the whole weekend to practice with them.

Had the same issue with Fedex, as I ordered mine from GPPgolf.com too. But I'm sure like you, the deal was too sweet to pass up and besides they hit great too. I got mine last month, and haven't looked back at my old set of Callaways yet.

Driver: 909D2 9.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
Wood: 909F2 13 Degree Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Hybrid: 909H 17 Degree Diamana Blue Stiff
Irons: VR Forged Split Cavity 3-PW Project X 5.5
Putter: Newport 2.5Wedges: SV Tour 56 and 60Bag: Sasquatch 2010 Stand BagBall: Pro V1X

I just recently bought the VR splits and chose them over Mizuno MP-58's and Callaway X-forged. The X-forged I found to be very similar in feel but I just hit the VR splits much more solid. May have been due to the fact that I like DGS300 shafts over the PX shafts. Definitely worth the money. Check out timtheputterman on eBay for some good deals on them. Their swingweight is D2 so if you like a heavier feeling club you might want something like the Adams CB1 or CB2.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!