IGNORED

My Swing (FenderStrat62)

FenderStrat62
Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a thread on big slices, but it turned into more a thread about my swing in particular. So, I thought it would be a good idea to post a thread that follows the guidelines on swing help.

To recap, I have a bad slice. It was determined that I'm probably swinging out to in, hitting over the top. I thought I had it fixed last night by keeping my backswing closer to me, but I couldn't hit the ball at the driving range today any better. So a good friend of mine filmed my swing for me.

Let me know what you think:

From the side:

From behind:

Just in case this isn't obvious, they are two separate swings, that both ended up down the right side of the range just in or near the tree line. First swing was from behind, second swing was from the side. Let me know what you guys think. You won't hurt my feelings, I promise.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

your right knee is straightening and your whole body is coming up and you also start with your hands from the top

Driver: S2 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood: Ft Stiff
5 Wood: Ft-iz Stiff
Irons: VR Full cavity 4-Aw
Wedges: Spin Milled 56* and CG11 60*Putter: Rossa CorzinaBall: ProV1 or Tour i

Thanks for the posts.

What do you mean by my hands are starting from the top?

Okay, so I need more upper body rotation, and to swing less with my arms.

I'll have to work on that. I think swinging with my arms came naturally for me since I'm probably not as flexible as I need to be. It's something I'll consciously work on, though.

I appreciate the critiques.

well its more of not letting your upper body come up just make a smooth rotation around your body and turn back with your hips and shoulders dont use your hands until you almost get to the ball then you can rlly explode through with your hands

I really appreciate the help.

EDIT: And will fixing this help to get rid of my nasty slice, or is that being caused by something else all together?

it should but you could also think about shortening your swing ive found that will make you much more accurate and youd be surprised that you dont rlly lose distance

I didn't see your post before I played today, BUT...

I went to the range before my round with the things mentioned here in mind. I can't say anything good really came of it. 80% of my range balls were big slices, 15% were miss hits due to me getting used to the swing changes, and maybe 5% were good drives. This frustration carried over to the course, where I was happy to see rain stop our game after 5 holes. Just a really, really frustrating day.

That said, I did play really well from 100 yard in, and putted okay. So at least there was a silver lining.

Your weight-shifted is in "reverse" ----- meaning that most of your weight hang on your left side during your back swing. Naturally on your down swing, you will have to quickly rotate to hit the ball. These things are recipe for slices.

Try making a slow and smooth shoulder turn and keep in mind to shift your weight wherever the club goes. Get the timing right and your slice should be gone after some practice sessions.

Hi Stratman.just coming on here to see if i can find some help for myself in sorting my slice out iv played for 2 years sliceing and got myself down to 14 hcap with a slice taking at least 6 or more shots off me a round.iv really been working on it all season and im really starting to make progress so i just thought i tell you what iv found out :)

first the post above is very important. you are doing a slight reverse pivot with your weight going forward on you backswing and back on your downswing.this is a common problem and im sure you will sort it out naturally enough this dose not relate to your problem directly as i mean if you fix this you will still slice.

i really wish someone had told me this a year ago but its very important to swing and not hit the ball.you should really zone in on the concept of swinging and the ball just getting in the way of your swing.

OK onto the IMPORTANT part. when you swing you try to hit the ball and this causes the swing to come over the top .. this is bad and what causes the slice .. its the easiest way to hit the ball so most golfers do this at the start and really to be honest most dont get past it and try compensate and never change.its a plague and iv built up so many bad habbits doing this im really working hard to fix it now.

if you look at your right shoulder in the down the line video you will notice it pop forward as you hit the ball. this is where the problem is coming from its pushing your club outside your ball and then to hit it you have to slice across it. it feels right and its comfortable to do.but the problem with hitting the golf ball right is at first it dose not feel right .well at first anyway.

ok so what to do is really simple drop your right shoulder down instead of popping it out.DOWN NOT OUT !! thats it simple ..!! when you do that the club come from the inside and stop sliceing and sometimes draws(what you want:) ) simple ! well ok not that simple their is loads of other thing that can go wong in the sequence but thats the stop sliceing seceret .

really the first problem is that its not going to feel right untill you have hit alot of balls doing this but it ill work eventually.

also it can be hard to do this sometimes because your hip is in the way so you have to learn to rotate it out of the way.

you also need to build up your flexability to do this its not as easy as it looks

i refer you to ernie els and rory mcllroy videos on youtube to see it in action.actually all the pros.best of luck on your golfing journey.

just so you know this a really really important tip never forget it its the most important tip iv ever got as a slicer

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

Are you from Henderson? That looks like Chickasaw's range

I agree with everything said above. If you use less arms in your swing, rotate your body while keeping your posture, and start the downswing from the ground up, it will almost automatically pull your arms into the correct position.

On a side note, Jim gives lessons out there for 40 bucks I think and they are video lessons.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you from Henderson? That looks like Chickasaw's range

Yes, I'm from Henderson, and yes that was Chickasaw. Thanks for the tips.

I played golf again today. As Mr. rdwoody can attest, it was an ugly day, overall, but I feel like my swing is getting closer and closer. Still a work in progress, though...

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!