IGNORED

Practicing when in high school

Golfing Dad
Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My son and I start school next week (I am a teacher) and we have been practicing a lot during the summer. My question is, now that we have limited time how would you practice if you had three hours a day for 5 days a week?
I am figuring 45 minutes a day on putting, 45 on short game, 1 1/2 on the range using EVERY club (meaning more short game practice included). Three days a week practice and play two days.

3 hours of practice in one day, 5 days a week? Are you currently practicing that much? That would be burnout city for me. I'm a teacher as well, I usually practice 3-4 days a week and play once. My practice time is only 1-1 1/2 hours though.

That's kind of what I am asking, this is for my son. I am curious how high school students practice and see improvement yet still have time for all the other things that come with school. I would like to have a good plan on how to practice and still see results without burnout. My son is playing competetively and wants to improve.

3 hours of practice in one day, 5 days a week? Are you currently practicing that much? That would be burnout city for me. I'm a teacher as well, I usually practice 3-4 days a week and play once. My practice time is only 1-1 1/2 hours though.

not extreme by any means for any serious athlete in HS. Great golf players who aspire to get good enough to play in college don't goto the range once or twice a week and expect to get better.

Back in HS, our high school golf team was extremely competitive. We used tor ecruit golfers from other schools to play for us. We were state champs for many years in a row, and a few guys went on to play in various mini tours, etc. Norm was about 3 hours a day of practice. 45 min putting, 45 min short game, 1.5 on range sounds about right... Golf season was spring time, which meant practice started during winter months often. During the season, we used to 1 hour on range in the morning before school, followed up 9 holes after school. Otherwise, 3 hours with range, short game, and putting is a good amount of time to put in.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I used to chip and putt for 1 hour and then practice while playing 9 holes. I tried several practice routines most of them bored me so I found one that was fun.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

If play at the "home" course falls off during week in the Fall, your son might insert an afternoon of on the course practice. After a short warm-up, head out onto the course for some situationals...

* He could compare results of Driver vs. 3W cutting corner on short par 4...
* If you have a Sahara hole with five greenside bunkers, he could hit three shots from each. ...
* Compare flying the ball into vs. bouncing it onto a narrow par 3 green...
* Work on up-and-down chips on a terraced green...

This will work if there's no fall league play that day, and if the management doesn't mind.

Spending several holes on situationals would pay off at tournament time, provide mental stimulation, and keep practice from getting stale.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If play at the "home" course falls off during week in the Fall, your son might insert an afternoon of

When I played in high school this is what I would do to really get the feel of possible real life scenarios. I suggest implementing something of this sort assuming the course allows you to.

Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!