IGNORED

How Do I Judge Putting Distance?

Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Entirely possible. Maybe he'd be a 5 otherwise. We all struggle with it from time to time, don't we?

This is true, I would be a 5 if I made 2 more putts a round lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One technique I've grown accustomed to with long lag putts is to stand near the ball and do a few practice strokes while looking at the hole the entire time. Your mind can unconsciously control the strength of swing by using the distance as a visual. Get an idea of how the strength of that stroke feels.

Also, visually imagine rolling a ball with your hand, and how hard you have to roll it for that distance. Translate that to your stroke.

And, the old cliche: Practice. Practice. Practice. No one likes to practice on the putting green. But it works. About 6 months ago I injured my finger and had it in a splint for about 6 weeks, and was unable to swing a club for about 9 weeks total. That entire time, all I could do was simply practice putting. And after a while, I had never putted better in my entire life. I figured things out I had never learned before, and have continued to translate that to my game now. My putting... which was ALWAYS the worst aspect of my game... is now one of the best of my game.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I always count the steps from the ball to the hole. 3 steps equals to about 2 inches of back and forward swing with the putter.
Using that formula, i adjust accordingly to slope and usually find a tap in for a missed putt.

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

The key to distance putts is to be able to duplicate it on the course. I like to practice long putts and when my distance control is on I can putt 5 - 10 balls within a 3 foot circle from 30 feet. Then I know that my distance control is on.

keys that I focus on

1) same tempo
2) form of distance control that works for you
3) consistency
4) distance first
5) line second
6) keep the club face square to the target line
7) lower take away and higher release
8) keep the putter low on the take away has help keep the ball on line and I sink more putts
9) pre-putt routine
10) practice daily
11) difference between breaking 100, 90, 80, 70s is putting!

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I found a routine that works for me.

1) Find my line and align to it 1a) Forget about the line 2) Focus only on the speed 2a) Hit the putt
11) difference between breaking 100, 90, 80, 70s is putting!

No it's not.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use the same approach as Beady. I think a lot of people psyche themselves out when it comes to putting. When you start to think of it as the simplest shot you're going to make(the ball is just rolling the entire time) and all you need to do is have a properly aligned face....its not terribly hard. I am by no means hitting every putt I take but I rarely 3 putt and can usually get myself within automatic distance for the second putt.

I stand or crouch behind my ball, I see the break. I pick a spot out between my ball and the hole that I want to aim for and then I setup and go. I don't take practice strokes(I find that my arms become tense the more I think about the putt).

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 5001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!