IGNORED

Poulter Minor Meltdown at the Deutsche Bank

c. lassiter
Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Johnny miller saying today I wasn't a good ball striker. I guess I do alright for a duffer then. He talks such bollocks at times."

LOL - Ryder Cup pre game smack talk......

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Johnny miller saying today I wasn't a good ball striker. I guess I do alright for a duffer then. He talks such bollocks at times."

I don't think I've figured out twitter yet, but I responded to that post with something like "Poults, just shoot a 63 at Oakmont, apparently it makes you the authority on golf swings since he mentions it at least 3 times per telecast :P"

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

The 'feud' continues. How could it not? It's Poulter and Miller.

Miller sent Ian this hat.

"To Ian, hit more greens! 63 Oakmont. Johnny Miller."

Oh it's on now.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

The 'feud' continues. How could it not? It's Poulter and Miller.

Just found out that was a prank by Brad Faxon who's also an NBC reporter, Poulter was kinda pissed but then realized it was Faxon and laughed it off :P

Just found out that was a prank by Brad Faxon who's also an NBC reporter, Poulter was kinda pissed but then realized it was Faxon and laughed it off :P

Haha, I didn't hear that. Classic on Faxon's part, you have to say.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Haha, I didn't hear that. Classic on Faxon's part, you have to say.

The worst part is....you just know that is something Johnny Miller WOULD do, he's just that much of an arse :P I know some people actually mute him if he talks, but I'm getting close to doing that, if I have to hear "I shot a 63 at oakmont!" one more time.....a;bljaksldjkjclkj GET OVER YOURSELF! :P It's like Brandel Chamblee (sp?) If he were near as good as he thinks he is, he'd still be out on tour making dough.

• Administrator
I think Johnny's the best announcer out there. On one hand, that's not a great compliment because his competition sucks. On the other hand, it's still a compliment.

Yeah, he says his dumb things (and he's dead wrong about "turning the toe down while the ball is on the face), but he's right far more often than he's wrong. And he'd be better if his cohorts weren't so damn sycophantic.

Johnny won tournaments over a 20+ year span. 25 of 'em, with two majors. In other words, a VASTLY better career than, oh, 99.99% of the individuals who have any status on the PGA Tour. He knows of what he speaks.

And people like DarkPrince like to make crap up like "he always talks about his 63 at Oakmont." No he doesn't. When's the last time he talked about it? Not since June or whatever... and, hey, so what? Tune him out for a few seconds. It's better than listening to Nick Faldo's dry boring tales or Ian Baker Finch talking about how he's never seen a bad shot in his life, ever...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh he does give some pretty good insight into it all, and I don't doubt most of his knowledge, sometimes I just wish he'd talk less about himself and talk more about what's going on; like Faldo, I like him but a lot of his commenting is telling stories. It is freakishly weird though that Miller just calls shots based on the sound of the contact on the ball and is almost always right :P And yeah, he doesn't mention it as much as he used to, but damn every time the word oakmont is whispered somewhere in the world he probably pops up behind you saying "I shot a 63 there to win the US open!" (cancel that....that's a really creepy image).

On topic though, I was quite surprised when at the PGA Poulter pulled his tee shot hard left over my head and into the deep fescue around 20 yards left of the fairway, even more surprised when he didn't really get angry or anything, just took a drop (don't know why? it was in the tall grass but sitting up so maybe unplayable?) and then hit it up near the green and kept walking. Monty was the only one I kind of saw get angry, and that was in a practice round. I actually found Poulter and Villegas a fun group to follow :P

I don't participate in the social network sites but I've clicked occasional links, including Poulter on Twitter several times. It's evident he can be a hot headed jerk. I'll look at the most recent batch of entries and he seldom fails to call someone an idiot or similar after responding to their tweet. In fact, those are seemingly the only ones he responds to, when he is determined to name call. The themes he initiates are positive but he can't relax and let something slide.

Someone posted that sending a hat is exactly like Johnny. I couldn't disagree more. As soon as I heard about it I was certain it wasn't Johnny. He makes critical calls when he feels they're warranted but Johnny is an emotional guy and often backs off somewhat when he's worried he hurt someone who can't handle it, or simply made an unfortunate choice of words. That's been true of the choke comment and Jacobsen, the puke remark, Hogan's swing and Craig Parry, Leonard and the '99 Ryder Cup, and a few others.

There's no way Johnny would rub it in by sending a hat. Including the 63 reference should have screamed to the recipient that he was being had. Frankly, Poulter should be docked a Ryder Cup hole or two for being so gullible. And when Poulter responded so quickly and crudely it fell smack in line with his tunnel vision tendency to name call after a tweet, or jump on an amateur photographer.

Johnny's grip over insecure pros couldn't have been more evident than Sunday, when Paul Casey panicked as soon as the NBC cameras were on him after he finished the round. Johnny hadn't said a word. But that didn't stop Casey from talking to the camera while Dustin Johnson was playing 18, ahead by 1. (Paraphrased): "Johnny is probably ripping me right now. 'Why isn't he warming up in case of a playoff?'

LOL. Casey obviously hasn't gotten over Johnny's summary earlier this year, when he called Casey the biggest underachiever in golf.

Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!