IGNORED

Starting the turn with the hips...how?

Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I try to feel like I am making a lateral push towards the target right at the top of the backswing. Almost as if I am starting to push my hips before I finish the backswing.

this is exactly what I try to do. Getting better but still a lot more work to ingrain it.

• 1 month later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Unfortunately this is one of the things Ben Hogan says he did which he clearly did not do. And though I like the two oval image on the left, the one on the right is just odd: Ben does not want his shoulders there (farther to the left than his hips viewed DTL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post Yes, but what he says here and what he actually did are two different things; or he just didn't describe the weight shift/hip slide: His hips clearly move to his left even before impact and continues through to the finish. He's obviously rotating as well but there's definitely a weight shift in addition to the rotation.

I've thought about this thread from time to time, and your two responses. Now, I'm finally not too lazy to reply.

The point I was making actually gets to the original question posed in this thread: Starting the turn with the hips...how? "Can anyone describe how they remember to do this? What it feels like? I know I do this to some extent, but how does everyone else trigger this motion?" That's why I refer to that particular piece from Hogan's Five Lessons. That's Hogan's trigger, what Hogan tries to feel. While Hogan may or may not actually stay as still behind the ball as he describes in this move in his book, I believe the point that he is trying to get across is that, the untwist is the feeling he is trying to send to his body from his mind. Rather than a bumper or slide to the left. We all know by videoing our own swings that what we feel more than likely does not translate to what we see in our own swings. But it's the feel can control.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

The problem with the illustration of the elastic band attached to Hogan's hip is first, that it does not square with his written description of the hip turn in the third full paragraph of the facing page, and second, if you were truly set up that way, your left hip would be jerked straight backward and you'd probably fall down. We can see what Hogan was getting at, but the literal interpretation of the drawing would be a disaster.

The left knee movement gets both the lateral movement and the hip turn going that Hogan said are both necessary.

" Starting the turn with the hips...how? "Can anyone describe how they remember to do this? What it feels like? I know I do this to some extent, but how does everyone else trigger this motion?"

My downswing trigger feeling is to perform a vigorous, pure turn of the hips. No lateral shift is INTENDED but nevertheless, some does inherently occur due to momentum of the club and arms. Most of my lateral shift occurs in the backswing. By taking a full shoulder turn the right hip automatically translates to the target from behind. If it were not for this I could not get away with a pure hip turn in the downswing - I would just spin out.

I tried for years to intentionally perform a lateral shift in the downswing but my timing was never good enough so I abandoned it. My epiphany came after reading Trolio's book about Hogan shifting most of his weight to the target in the backswing.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ben

The point I was making actually gets to the original question posed in this thread: Starting the turn with the hips...how? "Can anyone describe how they remember to do this? What it feels like? I know I do this to some extent, but how does everyone else trigger this motion?" That's why I refer to that particular piece from Hogan's Five Lessons. That's Hogan's trigger, what Hogan tries to feel. While Hogan may or may not actually stay as still behind the ball as he describes in this move in his book, I believe the point that he is trying to get across is that, the untwist is the feeling he is trying to send to his body from his mind. Rather than a bumper or slide to the left. We all know by videoing our own swings that what we feel more than likely does not translate to what we see in our own swings. But it's the feel can control.

We're in complete agreement that feel isn't real, and I think we're in complete agreement that what feels work for one person don't necessarily work for another.

That second part is my original point: what worked for Hogan - the feeling that he just turned his hips - may not work for another person because another person might need to feel the lateral sliding the Hogan apparently did without having to think about it or try to "feel" it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!