IGNORED

Quitting smoking using nicorette gum

Mattplusness
Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The most important thing is to make sure that you have the desire to quit or else you'll just be fighting a losing battle from the start. Most of the people I know who quit did so because of a tangible development (usually having kids, etc.) that made quitting a non-negotiable issue.

As I mentioned above, I only smoke a couple of cigarettes a day and yet I can't quit simply because I don't yet have the determination to get it out of my life completely.

I had to quit (or probably die) so my wife bought me one of those electronic cigarettes. It gave me the impression of smoking I needed but no nicotine. It worked. I haven't had a cigarette since March and no craving for one. The gum did absolutely nothing for me. And experts have said cigarettes are more addictive then heroin. I believe it.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Easy to say, hard to do...

yeah, well no ish it's tough. it's hard as hell. either you want it, or you don't. you are well aware of the pros and cons, so i'm not going to bore you with that. i quit dipping after 13 years of doing it. just quit, or don't quit. it's that simple. it sucks, but that's what's so great about it. you learn to embrace it, and that in itself makes it worthwhile. quitting is like golf in that it's a challenge against yourself. you just have to look in the mirror and ask if you want the weak self to reign, or the strong self.

• 4 months later...

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Both of my folks died of lung cancer. Mom was a smoker and Dad a victim of second hand smoke I guess. Even with that it was difficult for me to stop, but I did and you can too. But it won't be easy and there is no magic easy way or device/substance that will make it easy. But I can assure you it is easier that the alternatives that I have seen and they won't be a choice. Just so I don't start a war here, I believe in this country you have an absolute right to smoke if you choose. After all cigarettes are a legal product and as long as you don't step on anyone else's right in smoking or expect me to pick up your medical costs resulting from smoking, anyone that dI don't have a problem with it. But I encourage oes smoke to make the effort to stop and if the first time doesn't work try again and again until you're successful.

(LOL)--HEY, you're mess'n with my job security--Everyone should smoke and they should at least smoke Camel straights, perferablly clove cigaretts cuz they really rip up the lungs,,,,ahhhh cha ching!!!

Good luck with trying to divert your insurance money from care for our beloved COPD'ers.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by double_j

You'll be fine physically but the act of smoking anything might make it harder to get away from cigarettes. A surprisingly important factor in cigarette addiction is the physical act of smoking. In fact, one of the hardest things about learning to use the gum is that you have to break yourself of the physical expectation of smoking. For example, how many times do you light up in the car even when you don't really want one?

Not to mention that smoking cigarettes and being in an 'altered' state of mind always seem to go hand in hand. Most quit sites will tell you that its best to avoid any situation where you know the temptation to slip will be there, at least early in the quitting process.

Give it a shot and see what happens. Anything is worth a chance to stop smoking. Don't worry about chewing and smoking at the same time - I use the gum regularly (and have been using it for the past 6 years or so) since I can't smoke during the day at work or on flights, etc. but also have a couple of cigarettes per day (about a pack per week). No ill effects from the combination thus far.

The physical act of smoking is not addictive what so ever. It's simply nicotine addiction. Have a cigarette then straight away have another. 9/10 for most people the second one tastes disgusting. Simply because the body already has it's nicotine fix.

You just have to unstifle all the pyschological bullshit that you think smoking gives you. Like it eleviates stress or boredom or gives you more confidence, etc.

"Allen Cars Easy Way" is what did it for me. Give it a read or listen.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

This questions is primarily for those of you who have used nicorette gum to quit smoking cigarettes.

The website says to not smoke while taking this gum, but I was wondering if this includes smoking weed? The only thing I can think of that goes against this is blunts which contain nicotine. Will I be okay smoking weed while on this gum?

Please keep the insults to yourself. Yes I smoke weed, get over it.

I've tried the gum and it didn't work. Gums and patches are a load of bollocks imo. It's like a meth head switching to smoking instead of injecting it to get off meth.

To quit smoking, I would recommend trying snus (i think camel makes the better tasting one, but everyone has their preference.) It's not like dip so you dont spit it out. A pouch will last you about a half hour. I believe it has a lower amount of nicotine than a cigarette too.

That's how I quit smoking - the toughest part was having no nicotine during my morning energy drink (i cant imagine it would be fun to have that in your mouth while drinking something)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!