IGNORED

World Golf Rankings need to be overhauled

robertspages
Note: This thread is 6917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I understand everything you said, and your latest comment comes after that fact.

No you don't, and no it doesn't. The WGR is an ongoing thing. There's no "after the fact," especially when Vijay moving back to #1 simply proves what I've been saying: consistently finishing high is rewarded.

If Tiger doesn't break the Nicklaus majors and Snead's total PGA Tour wins, you'll be claiming you were misunderstood. But, the internet keeps a record of everything you write.

You could never win a Major and still be the #1 player in the world. Witness: Tiger last year. Tiger in 2003. C'mon...

Tiger is statistically on pace to break Jack's records. This: 1) has nothing to do with the WGR, and as such, will receive no further debate from me in this thread 2) is simple fact right now. If he's not on pace in five years, then nobody's "wrong" for stating the fact now.
Just like Dan Rather, I love how the new media outlets are making the old media insiders take it up the backside. The media coronated Woods as the best ever, then backed off since he's been moved aside as the top ranked player. He's a ratings pleaser and the media will still coddle and dote over him to no end. But, in the end, if he ends up going south and stinks it up during his 30's and 40's, the media will get it up the back side.

If you say so. What your Tiger-hating has to do with the WGR - the

topic of this thread (that you started) - I don't know. Further off-topic stuff will be removed, dude. If you want to bash Tiger, feel free to do so right here on this forum. But start a new thread if you've got nothing more to add to the WGR topic you started.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
i agree - in fact i'd like to see 'the formula' - i'll bet it doesn't exist, but is adusted weekly, just like everything else in golf - i.e. 'adjusted' stroke average - may as well be playing 'handicap golf' - in fact, what we are seeing most weeks is 'exhibition golf'. and one more thing . . . eldrick is so far off his game . . . and has been for so long now, that . . . all things considered, he should be ranked somewhere outside the top five.

This thing is so stupid. It should be based strictly upon how many tournaments you win, with a little extra weight for the majors. The strength of field thing is a joke. If you win a PGA tour event, it should count the same as any other regular PGA Tour event. Why penalize players who play the tour more. If anything, points should be taken away from players that conserve and play less tournaments.

These rankings are a joke.

Must be formulated by the same nitwits who rank tennis players. By the way - in my opinion Vijay should be rated no. 1.

• Administrator
These rankings are a joke.

And in a week he will be.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And in a week he will be.

ONLY it seems if he finishes FIRST and Tiger plays and finishes at least tied for 3rd with 5 other golfers . . . or some other damn formula they use. And I'm not a fan of Mister Singh.

FYI (if anyone cares ):

The Official World Golf Ranking, which is endorsed by the four Major Championships and the six professional tours which make up the International Federation of PGA Tours, is issued every Monday, following the completion of the previous week’s tournaments from around the world.

The official events from the 6 Professional Tours (US PGA Tour, European Tour, JGTO, SA PGA, Asian PGA Tour and the PGA Tour of Australasia) together with the Canadian, Nationwide and Challenge Tours are all taken into account and points are awarded according to the players’ finishing positions. The points awarded are generally related to the strength of the field based on the number and ranking of the Top-200 World Ranked players and the Top-30 of the Home Tour players in the respective tournaments (event “Ratings”). However, the 4 Major Championships are rated separately to reflect the higher quality of the events together with The Players Championship in the United States. In addition, the BMW Championship in Europe, and the Australian, Japan and South African Open Championships are allocated higher minimum points levels to reflect their status.

The World Ranking points for each player are accumulated over a two year “rolling” period with the points awarded in the most recent 13-week period doubled – ranking points will then decline in eight equal quarter-year intervals (1.75 after 13 weeks, 1.50 after 26 weeks, 1.25 after 39 weeks, 1.00 after one year, 0.75 after 65 weeks, 0.50 after 78 weeks, 0.25 after 91 weeks and eliminated altogether after 2 years). Each player is then ranked according to his average points per tournament, which is determined by dividing his total number of points by the tournaments he has played over that two-year period. Players who have not participated in 40 tournaments over the two-year period have the minimum divisor of 40 tournaments applied to the calculation of their average points figure.

The winners of the Masters Tournament, the U.S. Open Championship, the Open Championship and the PGA Championship are awarded 50 points (30 points for 2nd place, 20 for 3rd, 15 for 4th down to 0.75 of a point for a player completing the final round), and the winner of the Players Championship is awarded 40 points (points are awarded down to 0.60 of a point for 60th place and ties). The BMW Championship has a minimum 32 points for the winner (points down to 56th place). Minimum points levels for the winners of official Tour events have been set at 3 points for the Asian, Canadian, Nationwide and Challenge Tours (points to 6th place), 6 points for Southern Africa (points to 14th place), 8 points for Australasia and Japan (points to 19th place) and 12 points for Europe and the United States (points to 27th place). In addition the Open Championships of Australia, Japan and South Africa have a minimum of 16 points for the winner down to 0.61 of a point for 37th place and ties. In the cases of co-sanctioned Tour events, the minimum points levels are determined using the “average” of the minimum Tour rankings points from each Tour concerned.

Points are reduced by 25% for tournaments curtailed to 36 holes because of inclement weather or other reasons.

IMHO : It's kind of like the USGA Handicap system... It gives you good idea where the player is standing vs. the field, but on case-to-case base, at any given point of time - could be way off.. I personally agree with adjustment based on the "strength of the field". There should be an award if you beat the best. I think it's as close to perfect system as you could do it with so many variables... and I'm glad Vijay is back on top

• Administrator
and I'm glad Vijay is back on top

He's not. Not yet.

I actually wouldnt mine getting Tiger back up there. It saddens me to see Vijay playing way better golf then him. But then again maybe Tiger had it coming when he left his old swing and coach.

Anyway yeah you all are all right Vijay will be back up there very soon.

Mike Fisher
email me PGAfan790@aol.com

• Administrator
I actually wouldnt mine getting Tiger back up there. It saddens me to see Vijay playing way better golf then him. But then again maybe Tiger had it coming when he left his old swing and coach.

Tiger had no choice but to change his swing. C'mon now!

Note: This thread is 6917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!