IGNORED

Playing the ball back

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 4942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here in New Hampshire the wind can get pretty terrible this last month of the season, and knowing how to play the ball back in your stance can shave off a stroke here and there. Problem is, I feel the most comfortable playing the ball a little forward, increasing as I get to the long irons. Does anyone have any tips for playing the back in your stance, mentally or swing-wise?

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

i think the reason people struggle a bit, me included, when it comes to playing the ball back in the stance is overcoming the physical and mental tendency to sway just a bit back to compensate.

for me, it goes like this...i'm trying to hit a low stinger with say a 6 iron...i'll place the ball about 1/2 a ball or 1 ball back in stance than how i'd normally do it. what i should do is just swing and aim as if the ball is in normal stance...instead, i put in some compensation move to try to hit the ball early...thus doing something funky like chunking it.

advice that worked for me - when at address, look 1 ball infront of the ball and swing as if you're hitting the ball at normal stance instead of looking at the ball sitting a bit back of normal stance.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

It is a "wrong" way ..... better is 1 club extra, ie. a 5i instead of a 6i, standard ball position, full swing, but less tempo=less backspin=lower flight ..... it is this simple.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

A tip that I found that really helped me.
Make sure when you follow through, you do like a 3/4 finsh, EG:
this is what I mean, this helps alot.

Also, I found pushing my hips forward though impact seems to help me.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

It is a "wrong" way ..... better is 1 club extra, ie. a 5i instead of a 6i, standard ball position, full swing, but less tempo=less backspin=lower flight ..... it is this simple.

This also works well to. Take 1 extra club and swing, but swing the club around 20% eaiser then you usually would, it lowers the backspin by a mile so the wind can't make the ball balllon as much.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I agree with Gerald. You can practice this at the range. Club up one or two and aim for the same target. You will develop a feel for how much less to put into the swing. Also, remember the ball will roll more so adjust accordingly. A 1/2 swing 5 iron will still go a long way, but low.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't!

You're a 25 handicap. Which do you think it going to make more difference: the difference between the wind's effect on a high trajectory vs. the wind's effect on a low trajectory, or the difference between striking the ball well and strking the ball poorly?

If the wind is in your face, take one more club. If the wind is REALLY in your face, take 3 more clubs. But for those of us who don't consistently execute a good swing and strike the ball well, doing things correctly to make a good swing and strike the ball well is infinitely more important than other considerations.

-Andrew

not sure i'd rule it ever as the "wrong" way. sometimes that particular shot is very useful.

recent par 5, tee'ed off with 3 wood to 260 yards or so... 250 yards to go with wind to my face but I'm confident I can get it on the green in two. I choke down just a bit and hit a low stinger straight at the green... wind doesn't effect it and the ball rolls right on green. of course your way is much simpler and doesn't require a 25 handicap to make changes to their stance and such, but for the more experienced, this particular shot is necessary.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Note: This thread is 4942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!