IGNORED

Titleist Vokeys

Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Titleist Vokeys

• Good/Great
    • Quite average
    • Poor/Really Bad
    • Dont Know

Spin Milled grooves produce a medium trajectory and high spin From Titleist Website(too much spin but thats probably just for my area due to the fact that the course are normally soft)

It's all about the ball you play and how you play the shot when it comes to spin. You say you play a soft course. I don't even break out the Prov1 for courses that are 11 on the stimp. I use a 2008 prov1x because it still only rolls out 3-5 feet on any well struck mid iron, yet it's not so spinny that I can't chip with it on the greens. It's also ever so slightly softer than the 2010 prov1x. But the difference on spin is hardly noticeable. This ball might release 5% less than the 2010 prov1x, but like 20% more release than the prov1.

The reasons the pros use the ProV1 is because it is the highest spinning softest ball. They often play 12 stimp and have to use comforming wedges (less spin from rough on hardfast greens). This is why they play it. Maybe try the v1x? Or Bridgestone B330-RX? Or anything but a ProV1. I like my low checkers around the green to land maybe 80% of the way to the pin so they can release to 95-100%. If I fly a low checker 80% of the way to the pin with a Prov1, it might only release 5%. It has too much check for the courses the average player plays.
They're carbon steel. Softer than probably any other non-forged wedge,

The C-C is only lower spinning from the rough if I am not mistaken. From the fairway or tight lie (no grass in grooves), it's the same.

For the umpteenth time, the grooves are what's "spin milled," not those little swirly things on the face.

Are the "swirly things" on the face simply a marketing gimmick or do they actually affect performance like sean_miller says he experienced?

Maybe try the v1x? Or Bridgestone B330-RX? Or anything but a ProV1. I like my low checkers around the green to land maybe 80% of the way to the pin so they can release to 95-100%. If I fly a low checker 80% of the way to the pin with a Prov1, it might only release 5%. It has too much check for the courses the average player plays.

Or a TopFlite Gamer, or D2 Feel, or Bridgestone E5/E6/E7-something appropriate for a 20 'capper at around half the price of a ProV1.

You guys and your buying balls at retail stores. I get 100, 2008 ProV1x's for 130 dollars with no cuts, scuffs, or blemishes period. Just like new, apart from the minority of balls that come with faded permament markings.

You guys and your buying balls at retail stores. I get 100, 2008 ProV1x's for 130 dollars with no cuts, scuffs, or blemishes period. Just like new, apart from the minority of balls that come with faded permament markings.

A lower cost wouldn't make the ProV1 any better for the OP's game.

Are the "swirly things" on the face simply a marketing gimmick or do they actually affect performance like sean_miller says he experienced?

Once the circular lines were worn off, the wedge performed like any other $100 wedge.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

great thread! answers all my questions regarding "what lob wedge to get."

Driver: Taylormade r7
Irons: Mizuno MX-200
Wedges: 60*8 & 56*14*
3,5 wood: r7
Putter: Odyssey white ice

A lower cost wouldn't make the ProV1 any better for the OP's game.

No doubt. Just stating ProV1s are as cheap as buying Pinnacles at the pro shop. ~$1.30 per ball Prov1s online, 1.30 per ball Pinnacles at the pro shop

Once the circular lines were worn off, the wedge performed like any other $100 wedge.

Could you elaborate? What exactly does that mean? Less spin?

I have test-hit Vokeys, but wasn't overly impressed. But, lots of good golfers really like them. Here's why -

Vokey means maximum variety, almost too much. In the standard Spin-Milled family, Vokey offers:
* 17 loft-bounce combinations
* 7 sole grinds
* 3 non-glare finishes

Rounding out the product line are assorted Vokey custom editions which can sell for about $270 per wedge.

I'm a basic wedge player - only open or close the face a couple of degrees on most shots. Plus, I like the feel and performance of my current wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To the OP, go buy a box of Pinnacle Gold golf balls and see if those check with your super spin Vokeys.

btw I have never actually bought any golf balls i find them and Pro V1s are quite common to be loss i found a dozen in just under an hour once. I was playing some wilson piece of junk yesterday and they were spinning.

I agree to a certain amount ...... I have had and played a lot of BV wedges last year, went from 52 - 56 - 60 to 50 - 54 - 58 and then tried the Oil Can and a bit later some Black Nickels...... they all had lots of bite, maybe a little too much for me, but in all they were great wedges, until I was thinking of filing off a bit off the curved front edges and was tipped here that the Mizuno's T series have slightly more square front edges........

I tried some of the MP T-10 wedges, phewfff what a difference they offer, much more feel, maybe a bit less spin but in all I improved my touch with the Mizuno's and have just ordered my new MP T-11 wedges....... beside that Mizuno offers bounces that better suit my game 10* for the 58*.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Interesting thread.

I didnt realise different wedges had different amounts of spin.

How do the Ping tour wedges weigh with spin?
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Interesting thread.

the tour W according to ping dont offer as much spin as others ie vokey but in return give you more workability and playability i think

For the last time wedges don't have different amounts of spin. Spin is applied by the amount of force you strike down on the golf ball with, plus the softness of the cover of the ball. Assuming no grass inbetween the grooves, I believe these are the only two things that create back spin (headwinds do too, but were talking about chipping/pitching here and wind isn't a factor).

I bet you didn't know you can produce just as much spin from a tight lie with a 60* with no grooves as a 60* vokey (or any other 60* with grooves for that matter)

the tour W according to ping dont offer as much spin as others ie vokey but in return give you more workability and playability i think

okay buddy. keep telling yourself that. I give up, just like the many before me have.

Your head is as thick and hard as a diamond. Open up your mind and then you'll see... :) (who doesn't love that song?)

okay buddy. keep telling yourself that. I give up, just like the many before me have.

That time im actually correct because they didnt have full sized grooves

Quote from Golf monthly october 2010 on the new ping tour S wedges "Ever since the new rule was introduced ping stressed that there is more to a wedges performance than just spin. Indeed, the grooves in their popular Tour-W didnt reach old groove limitaion. So while some manufacturers emphasized the benefits of spin, Ping worked hard to balance this crucial element with feel, workability and forgivness. ping say this means a lower drop off in spin for the new model from the old one than is is for some manufacturers

Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!