IGNORED

Driver shaft length - is shorter the way to go?

cfmgolf
Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone,

I am toying with changing my driver length. Due to an eye condition, the longer clubs have become rather difficult to hit. Depth perception is kind of tough. Current Cobra L5V is standard length which i think is 45". I may be off be 1/2" but it is not that important to my question. I am looking for golfers that have had an experience with much shorter drivers. Somewhere in the 42" or even shorter. I understand that this would give me much better control, and slightly less distance which is OK. My bigger question is how the club "felt" with this short a shaft, and how the swing weight might have changed and what if anything you did to correct this.

For now i have moved almost down to the shaft on the grip, which seems to have taken approx. 3" off the total length. This has worked OK for now, but just feels "funny" not to be at the end of the club. This is the easy and quick solution, but just looking for anyone that has made the move to a much shorter driver.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

Cobra L5V - Just waiting for the ZL to have a lower price
Cobra F Speed 2006 3 wood - very underrated 3 wood
Adams Pro Idea 3H and 4H

Taylormade Burner XD 4-AW
Cleveland 48*, 52*, and 60*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball

Most current drivers have shaft lenghts of about 46 inches. Only a few are shorter and some are even longer. I have tried a 46.5" and even experimented up to 48" ..... but the gain in distance with the longer shaft isn't that much.

On the other hand 42" is really short and it will leave you with a very low swingweight, allthough a good fitter will know a sound way around that.

I don't think being a few inches closer to the ball will differ much considering your eye problem ...... we all need the distance and going from 45" to 42" will mean at least a bout 20 yds shorter.

I think 44" is as short as is wise to go..... you'd problably loose nothing, gaining some accuracy and therefor, maybe even gaining some distance aswell.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

42" is a bit extreme. The lowest I think I'd try is 44. I've tried 45s, but with different weighed shafts, so it's hard for me to tell.

My stock was 46.25 and I only went to 46 with the new one. I didn't do anything to adjust the swing weight. Initially the club itself was noticably heavier (49g to 77g), but after a few rounds out it felt fine. I changed shafts mainly to cut down dispersion and trajectory. My shaft selection was an educated guess and the most "fitted" I've ever been for a club.

The 3" choke would feel funny to me too. I hold every club to the end. I tried choking up on my stock shaft, but it always felt weird to have that nub sticking out. If you can feel the swingweight difference (while choking 3") and don't like it, I'd talk to a club maker. Having confidence in your gear is important.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I play an X-stiff 43.75" length driver and absolutely love it. I have sooo much control with this length and can feel where the head of the driver is throughout my entire swing.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 2 years later...
Originally Posted by cfmgolf

Everyone,

I am toying with changing my driver length. Due to an eye condition, the longer clubs have become rather difficult to hit. Depth perception is kind of tough. Current Cobra L5V is standard length which i think is 45". I may be off be 1/2" but it is not that important to my question. I am looking for golfers that have had an experience with much shorter drivers. Somewhere in the 42" or even shorter. I understand that this would give me much better control, and slightly less distance which is OK. My bigger question is how the club "felt" with this short a shaft, and how the swing weight might have changed and what if anything you did to correct this.

For now i have moved almost down to the shaft on the grip, which seems to have taken approx. 3" off the total length. This has worked OK for now, but just feels "funny" not to be at the end of the club. This is the easy and quick solution, but just looking for anyone that has made the move to a much shorter driver.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

Well I chimed in a while back about using a shorter shaft on my driver. Said I'd report what I found out for MY GAME. I was told by everyone and even felt as if I was going to have to slip the repair shop guy a 20 just to get him to do it for me. He said it would never hit a ball and that I'd be back putting in a standard length shaft. Well he was wrong. I had my Adams Tight Lies cut down to 40 inches overall length and took it out yesterday and hit the ball in the fairway EVERY SINGLE TIME. Now I'm old, 61, 3 herniated discs and my right knee is bone to bone, so I can't even swing like the majority of you guys out there and on this blog. But I have very good upper body strength, good hand eye coordination and strong legs (less the bad right knee).

Now all of my woods are 40 inches overall length.
I'm not a long ball hitter, can't with my physical limits. But yesterday and today I hit two of the best average rounds of golf I have hit in the last 6 months after 18.5 years away from the game.

I get a comfortable 230 to 240 yards (total) out of my driver and 200 to 240 out of my three wood. I get about 180 out of my 5 wood. Every shot right down the pipe (I may have 2 or 3 holes that I'm slightly in the edge of the rough but I'm working to eliminate these). By shortening my woods, all of them (driver, 3 and 5) I'm hitting the ball better straighter and the transition from my woods to my 4h and 5h is without notice. My 6 through PW are fine and I'm putting well even though I use one of those evil face putters that is shoulder high!

Anyway, for those of you with limitations, if you can hit your irons and any hybrids 'well' and you are struggling with your woods, take the one you hit the best and give her a chop. Take the length off the handle of the club. Don't let anyone tell you to take it off the tip, that will change the flex of the shaft. But taking it off the handle of my shafts, I feel no difference at all except several times when I hit my 3 or 5 wood I really don't know that I hit it except the ball is gone, gone, gone right down the pipe.

Now I admit I am not a long ball hitter and never will be again. I'm broken. But shortening my shafts and fixed the only problem I have had since getting back into the game. I'll be using short (40 inch) shafts from here on out, maybe 39 if I get the hankering to.

Doc

Originally Posted by DocParty

Well I chimed in a while back about using a shorter shaft on my driver. Said I'd report what I found out for MY GAME. I was told by everyone and even felt as if I was going to have to slip the repair shop guy a 20 just to get him to do it for me. He said it would never hit a ball and that I'd be back putting in a standard length shaft. Well he was wrong. I had my Adams Tight Lies cut down to 40 inches overall length and took it out yesterday and hit the ball in the fairway EVERY SINGLE TIME. Now I'm old, 61, 3 herniated discs and my right knee is bone to bone, so I can't even swing like the majority of you guys out there and on this blog. But I have very good upper body strength, good hand eye coordination and strong legs (less the bad right knee).

Now all of my woods are 40 inches overall length.

I'm not a long ball hitter, can't with my physical limits. But yesterday and today I hit two of the best average rounds of golf I have hit in the last 6 months after 18.5 years away from the game.

I get a comfortable 230 to 240 yards (total) out of my driver and 200 to 240 out of my three wood. I get about 180 out of my 5 wood. Every shot right down the pipe (I may have 2 or 3 holes that I'm slightly in the edge of the rough but I'm working to eliminate these). By shortening my woods, all of them (driver, 3 and 5) I'm hitting the ball better straighter and the transition from my woods to my 4h and 5h is without notice. My 6 through PW are fine and I'm putting well even though I use one of those evil face putters that is shoulder high!

Anyway, for those of you with limitations, if you can hit your irons and any hybrids 'well' and you are struggling with your woods, take the one you hit the best and give her a chop. Take the length off the handle of the club. Don't let anyone tell you to take it off the tip, that will change the flex of the shaft. But taking it off the handle of my shafts, I feel no difference at all except several times when I hit my 3 or 5 wood I really don't know that I hit it except the ball is gone, gone, gone right down the pipe.

Now I admit I am not a long ball hitter and never will be again. I'm broken. But shortening my shafts and fixed the only problem I have had since getting back into the game. I'll be using short (40 inch) shafts from here on out, maybe 39 if I get the hankering to.

Doc

I for got to add. In my irons and hybrids it comes natural to trust my clubs which enhances my shots. With the shorter shafts on my woods, I now trust them completely. I swing smoothly, light grip and have a complete follow through. All of these for me in absolutely necessary to hit any club correctly, for me. They are now my friends! Lol.

Doc

I recommend not going less than 43"

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stick to a driver shaft with head that plays at 43 to 45 inches for better control and dispersion! I do not know why the manufacturers are putting up to 46 inch shafts in clubs that are otr for normal golfers to hit as if it will give them distance when really on a poor struck ball it will give them problems!

Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!