IGNORED

My Swing (Soren)

Soren
Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi! I really need some help with my swing, it is ridiculously inconsistent. I'm 23 years old, I played without any ambitions for about two years when I was 14-16 and now I've been back in the game since last summer, when I picked it up.

I managed to drop from 12.1 to 4.7 in this season, but only because of some occasional crazy low scores. Sometimes I play 76-79 on a 7000 yard course, and suddenly I'm hitting every other shot fat or thin or worse.

Can any of you maybe detect what's wrong in my swing?

I'm self taught, I've never had lessons with a pro, so I don't know much about the anatomy of a correct golf swing.

Soren

PS: I'm aware that the first clip in the video is cut off a little too early, don't mind that.

One of the best self taught swings I've ever seen.

Try minimizing the sway back on the backswing. Try to keep you weight inside your right instep.

Backswing is a bit armsy and you lose some connection of your right arm from your torso, but you've got a really nice steep shoulder turn.
Your transition into the forward swing, your left hip moving well forward into impact, and balanced extension into followthrough are superb.

Your lower body movements in the forward swing are exceptional and make up for some minor flaws on the backswing. I suspect that if your lower body is a bit stiff on a particular day, or your timing is off, you might hit some occasional fat and thin straight pulls.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Nice swing. You can see in the second video that you take the clubhead back a little to the outside and your downswing is a little out to in as a result, evidenced by the ball starting to the left straight away. Maybe you like a little fade though, it's not necessarily a problem. You look like you're hitting it pretty solid regardless, and you have great tempo.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Great looking swing! You're clearly better than I, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I would agree with uttexas that you sway a bit on your takeaway...might cause you to be a little behind or in front of the ball at impact position if your timing is off. Also, it's a little tough to tell with the frame rate of your video, but you may be a little bit "flippy" through impact as well. I have a lot of the same problems you do with inconsistent ball striking. I just recently had my swing looked at by a teaching pro and along with a few other points, that was one of the things he said was causing some of my inconsistencies.

Other than that I would say everything looks great. Good luck!

In my Grom XX:
cleveland.gif Launcher 12.0* Fujikura Saishin 65 S and 15* Fujikura Fit-On Gold R // ping.gif G10 Irons, AWT Steel S, Fitted Purple Dot// cleveland.gifCG14 Chrome 56*, 14 // odyssey.gif Crimson Series 550 Mallet, 34" // srixon.gifZ-Star

Thanks a lot for all the comments and advice and that you think my swing is good (well, I wish it worked on the actual course)!

I definitely sway a lot in my backswing/takeaway, which must be (one of the reasons) why I hit it too much behind or in front of half of the time. But as uttexas correctly suggested, when I do compensate with more steady legs, my ballstriking inconsistencies doesn't disappear (I even tend to lose quite some distance with lesser leg movement). But it's probably not that black and white, so I'll just have to experiment with something in between.

Do you think my head movement is a problem, cause I've gotten some comments on that before, and well, it doesn't look that comfortable haha.

By the way, I'm trying to stand closer to the ball these days, and it seems to upgrade my ballstriking a lot - that is, mind you, when I hit it properly. The inconsistency is still there. Crap. It's probably my legs.

as mentioned some sway in the hips - i notice this a lot now, as i am currently trying to rid myself of this too
one thing that has helped me - creating more hip turn
i read in an article that you should feel like someone put their finger in your left pocket and turned your hip for you
this "feeling" has helped me turn my hips more than my arms and has helped reduce hip sway

also i practice in a mirror w a chair butted up against my right leg in practice swings
i try to not move the chair w my knee and focus on keeping my weight more on the front foot, rather than on the back foot (another flaw of mine)

just a couple drills i do, that has helped me lose the hip sway - which can lead to inconsistent ball striking

overall decent swing tho
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I'd say it is the pony tail. A haircut should clear everything up. Seriously though, I would bet on your off days that sway is quite a bit more pronouced. Focusing on hitting the back of the ball and maintaining a still head should help clear some of it up.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!