IGNORED

Best GPS please

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any estimates on how long before GPSs and rangefinders get below $100?

Also, are rangefinders more efficient in GPSs? One site implied that rangefinders have a much quicker cycle time to give you distance to pin.

This relates to erock9174 's post.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still sticking with my earlier recommendation of golfshot gps for your android -

I have Golfshot for the iPhone and used it all the time. I got a range finder (Calloway) and have used the GPS sparingly since, mostly for courses with which I'm unfamiliar since it also gives an overhead satellite photo view - good for blind shots or unseen creeks.

Best part of Golfshot is that it's a one-time charge (~$30 iirc) with no subscriptions. Every course I've wanted to play around the Cleveland area has been mapped.

I would recommend the Callaway uPro.. You can pick them up for 200 now and I got mine about two months ago for 269.99. I think its a Golfsmith that you can get them at that price, I'm not sure if they have dropped to 200 everywhere I haven't checked.

It can do a lot. You don't have to pay a yearly fee, just downloads, and only if they are in Pro mode so you can figure just adding the 3 bucks to your green fee to have the pro mode for that course especially if you haven't played it or have trouble at local courses and you need a fly over and an actual image to pin point where you want to hit it and how much yardage you have left from tee to your spot to the green. It is pretty handy; I love mine!

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I've been VERY happy with my SkyCaddie SG4. I love the new features: tracking fairways hit, putts, shot distance, etc. Very cool. They have all the courses I have ever wanted to play and the yearly subscription isn't too bad ($50). Also, once I hook it back up to the PC, it uploads all the data to the SkyCaddie website for further review.

Now to the one drawback. Hooking it up to the PC. Whoever came up with the mechanism, in this day and age, to attach this to the PC should probably be flogged. I mean really, how long have we had USB ports? They designed it with a tiny screw and circular connection points on the back. You have try and hold the end of the cord so the points are aligned with one hand, while using the other hand to screw in the little pin. Terrible design flaw, but that really is the only drawback.

I would still highly recommend SkyCaddie as they have always been VERY accurate and they are always adding new features.

I want to try the one for my Android, but I have heard it REALLY kills the battery fast. Don't want to put on a bulky xtra-life battery either. But, I may give it a shot. Looks nice!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Some of the GPSs don't work with Apple systems. I know the Skycaddie SG5 does, it's what I use and am happy with it. The subscription fees are annoying, but in the scheme of what I spend on golf per year, not too significant. The SG5 has a USB connection.

Any estimates on how long before GPSs and rangefinders get below $100?

The izzo is under 100 but like I said no bells and whistles just yardage to front middle and back of green.

As far as speed the belt clip provided in most cases will attach to the cart. I mount it there and when I pull up to the ball the yardage is ready and I pull my club and hit. No delays. Actually I play quicker since I don't have to guess which club to hit. Some people keep their gps in their pocket and I can see that taking a while to sync and causing slow play.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Some of the GPSs don't work with Apple systems. I know the Skycaddie SG5 does, it's what I use and am happy with it. The subscription fees are annoying, but in the scheme of what I spend on golf per year, not too significant. The SG5 has a USB connection.

if you are refering to the Upro not working with Mac's..... All you need to do is call Callaway upro people and they will guide you as to how to make it work......

Currently i have a Upro and a SG2.5 that sits as back up in my bag if i forget to charge the upro.... i love the Upro, but i feel like i want to add a good rangefinder to my collection, probably this christmas

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10.5 UST Shaft
3 woods:R11   - 3 & 4 Hybrids: FTi-Z
5i-pw: Diablo Edge SW, GW & LW: CG16  

Putter: Scotty C  -  GPS: Bushnell  -  Balls: PRO-V1

Very good advice here thanks.... I do want quick response and last thing I need to do is be playing with a toy while I'm trying to shoot a good round and not annoy people in my group or behind me. I might try my droid some more and then see what I think. I do play the same cousre most of the time since it's only few minutes from my house and I can get out free or half price most of the time. And no matter what the price I know every shot in the dark from playing it so much.

I had the sky caddy sg2 but the annual fees were getting expensive if you play in more than one state. Switched to golf tour buddy pro holds 20,000 course and no annual fees! Just turn the unit on and proceed to the tee box. Paid 240.00 for the golf buddy pro

I just tried SkyDroid for my Droid X, it cost $1.99USD and was great. Amazing battery life, compared to to a few others I have tried. Only took 25% of the battery life for 18 holes. It has overhead satellite views, front/center/back yardages and a few other things I haven't gotten to yet.

For 2 bucks and its battery usage, I'm sticking with it. Scorecard and other features coming soon.

Here it is.

I just tried SkyDroid for my Droid X, it cost $1.99USD and was great. Amazing battery life, compared to to a few others I have tried. Only took 25% of the battery life for 18 holes. It has overhead satellite views, front/center/back yardages and a few other things I haven't gotten to yet.

Have you tried out Golfshot GPS?

I just got it ( p retty m agnificent stuff for me ) and took it out on the course for the first time Friday and it was pretty spot on.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

The SkyCaddie SG5 has a straight plug n play usb hookup. It seems like everytime you plug it in to the computer, it is updating stuff.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Neo bushnell is a great cheap option. $99 on RBG. Sits in the seat compartment of my buggy, turn on and leave, and open up when you want a yardage. Too easy, and doesnt take any extra time then picking your club out of the bag.

I am surprised to see the Upro Go down to $149. Seems like a fantastic deal given the features and no subscription. Anyone using this GPS or have insight as to why the drop in price?

I am surprised to see the Upro Go down to $149. Seems like a fantastic deal given the features and no subscription. Anyone using this GPS or have insight as to why the drop in price?

New Upro coming out next year.It is supposed to retail for $199.00

my only gripe with the Upro was that many of the courses I play were not mapped in Calloway's database of courses. Some of the others I play were listed on the site and requested by like 40 people and was yet to be added and it had been a few months. So that scared me away. Otherwise for the price it seemed like the best bang for the buck features wise and no subscription.

I opted for the Izzo Swami and out of the 10 courses I play the most only one needed mapping. I requested it and it was added within 10 days to their site.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!