IGNORED

Range Finder

Note: This thread is 5064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back in June I bought a used Skycaddie SG4 for $70. Its worked perfectly from day one. I love it!! It probably has saved me 2-3 strokes each round with the proper club selection. Its worth its weight in gold. There's really no reason to spend alot of money for alot of bells and whistles if you want to save some money and you want to try one first. Distance is distance on the gps.....whether you spend $70 or $400 its still the same distance : )

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Back in June I bought a used Skycaddie SG4 for $70. Its worked perfectly from day one. I love it!! It probably has saved me 2-3 strokes each round with the proper club selection. Its worth its weight in gold. There's really no reason to spend alot of money for alot of bells and whistles if you want to save some money and you want to try one first. Distance is distance on the gps.....whether you spend $70 or $400 its still the same distance : )

I think he might be talking about laser rangefinders since he said it was pricey.

I think laser finders are definitely worth it. I wasn't a believer until late in the season when I started playing regularly with a friend who had a laser. Yardage markers do not do your game justice. Pin positions are deceptive to the eye so don't be deceived and get a laser rangefinder.

« Keith »

IMO they are more than worth it. Have had mine about a year and it helps alot. Not only getting exact distance to pins, but other points like traps, water, trees, ect.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

This one purchase that I made this summer has been better than any club that I ever bought as far as being "game improvement". Having the ability to know the distance to carry the bunker and to the pin can allow you to hit the best club to get close, not the best guess. Now if you could find a used one and save some cash...that's even better!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

i have to agree, i use a skycaddie but i don't think it matters much. there are many on the market and when i have had the chance to compare on the course they are all within a yard. some give or less info so it is a user choice type of thing. bottom line is they are well worth the money!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Is it woth the money for a new one?

I was fortunate enough to win one of the Leupolds in the contest held on this site a while back. I always wanted to get one, but never bought one due to the cost. Now that I have one and have seen how much they help me, if it was stolen today I'd buy another.

As far as buying a new one, there are always people out there who buy new things and then sell them after very little use for great deals. All it takes is a little research on your part. Range finders are quite expensive, so I say find a good used one unless you have plenty of money to spare. SRJ
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Range finders are fine if you can see what you are trying to avoid or hit to. I play courses with blind tee shots, hidden bunkers, doglegs etc. The gps knows they are there and gives you measurements to, over or thru them. Yes, the range finder will be more accurate to the pin since it is measuring to the pin, where the gps is measureing to 3 points on the green (front, middle, back), but at my level the gps is more then accurate enough to the pin.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

gps units now allow you to place a marker on the map of the hole you're on, and it gives you the distance to that point. I think gps will overtake lasers in the next year or so. the smartphone gps apps are becoming more and more sophisticated. Currently, I do use a laser though.

gps units now allow you to place a marker on the map of the hole you're on, and it gives you the distance to that point. I think gps will overtake lasers in the next year or so. the smartphone gps apps are becoming more and more sophisticated. Currently, I do use a laser though.

I would imagine mid-high handicappers would use GPS for convenience factor and since they are less accurate with their shots but the low handicaps would continue to use the lasers since they can be quite precise with their shots and prefer to have the exact distance to the pin.

« Keith »

I shy away from used electronic devices that rely on batteries. Especially cameras. You might get a battery eater.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd look on ebay if I was to buy one. They still aren't cheap but maybe 50 dollars cheaper. Also, make sure to get a newer model. I have a old bushnell yardage pro and it can't get flags from more than 130 yards and even at that point it gets a little annoying. The newer ones now work so well they take no time to use at all.

Brian

I would imagine mid-high handicappers would use GPS for convenience factor and since they are less accurate with their shots but the low handicaps would continue to use the lasers since they can be quite precise with their shots and prefer to have the exact distance to the pin.

GPS is accurate as can be, and gives you yardages to back edge, front edge, different bunkers and you can move around your shot location. It may be a yard or two off but thats not a difference in club at all.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I'd get a new one just because I want peace of mind that the unit wasn't tossed around by the previous user. Golf clubs I don't mind buying used but electronics can be tricky since you usually don't know what's going on inside. $280 for a Bushnell Tour V2. Merry Christmas.

« Keith »

I think I am going to pick one up tomorrow. I have GPS with my BB via golflogix. Where I am finding the most need for range finder is at the practice range. They have targets with different yardage listed on them but the tees are always changing. It is hard to get my yardages right on. On course will just take it further. (I guess it will also come in handy target shooting too)

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Note: This thread is 5064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!