IGNORED

opinions wanted

steelernation
Note: This thread is 4908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just be sure to yell "fore" before your drive takes out the guy in the blimp.

"Roger, Roger, this is Captain Oveur, what's our vector Victor? Is that a Bridgestone I just saw?"

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself a 7 degree lofted driver to practice with and learn to hit it up in the air. This will improve the -5 attack angle and allow you to use a club that doesn't require as much loft.
Try it - it works!
Andrew Rice
www.andrewricegolf.com
www.itsallaboutimpact.com

well I played a round today....14 holes were teed off with the new freak club.....

as a note...I hit about 12 balls at the range and with a crosswind of 15mph i was carrying 260 270. traj was high but it didnt appear to balloon.....45 degrees today,,mushy fairways

On the first hole, i pushed one right carried 240 high traj
2nd drive hole hit a solid mid traj. down the middle about 280 (carry was unknwn)
4th hole hit off the heel and lined a low drive 220 left
5th hit a solid 250 carry medium traj(hit trees dead stop)
6th hit solid high traj right about 240 carry into tree kicked back
7th low traj carry 200 but 40 yards roll (almost topped it)
8th drive was a duck hook 210(birdied the par 5 too with 3 solid shots)
9th drive was a slower swing and high traj. 240 yard carry 10 yard roll
10th drive was a high traj bomb carry at least 270 out to 290
11th was a duck hook(tried to unload on it) 220 left
12 drive duck hook left 210
13 drive slight hook 240
14 drive low traj line drive 200
15 drive pull hook 220 left.

On the range I didnt hook one ball, but as the cold day went on, i began to struggle more and more....overall the 15 driver is a safer club than my old driver and the shaft is -1.5inches so its been a bit of an adjustment. So far the experiment worked, not one ball was topped hard into the teebox...I can tell distance will be lost some on the better hit balls, but its keeping me in play off the tee, after the first round.

My god, this must be the most amazing looking swing ever. I have to see this on video. Equipment won't do much, -5° angle of attack must be fixed. -2° might be acceptable, but damn, -5?

By the way, my computer here says that a -5° angle of attack with a 15° driver, 120 mph swing speed will result in a 231 yard carry with a launch angle of 9.3° and a backspin of (get this) 5613 rpm! The angle of descent is 57.1° with a spin upon landing of 3701 rpm with a maximum height of 150 feet after being airborne for 8.33 seconds! Wow!

What about trying a softer shaft? This would help get the ball flight higher?

ZL Driver 10.5 Voodoo stiff shaft
F speed 3 wood stiff shaft
909 H Rescue
AP2 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Forged 55 SV 58 SM 60 Tour action 64 Newport 1.member of www.shirlandgolfclub.co.uk

i swing too fast for anything softer than the x...also, as a note. This is a borethrough head so its slightly stiffer im told.

I played the club for 6 holes on Saturday after the shaft was switched and hit one ball 180 yards carry...get this ...the elevation never exceeded 5 feet. My dad says it never got over 3 feet I landed in the fairway and rolled another 60 yards. I still have not figured out the directional tendencies of this driver yet. With my other club I had to make all kinds of adjustments to make good contact, this club doesnt need that so much.

Playing tomorrow at Bulle Rock (lpga mcdonalds championship). The rating is 73.4 and the slope is 139? This course is the reason I made the switch, its very unforgiving off the tee.

Maybe my wifes digital camera has a video option...I will do that today since its raining on the EC....ill use the 2 diff drivers and hit 10 shag balls across this field...

In your video, take a few swings and edit out the nothingness. Nothing more fun that watching 40 seconds of teeing up the ball and waggling, then 2 seconds of swing, and finished off with 18 seconds of finish pose and walking toward the camera to turn it off.

Basically, your swing sounds very inconsistent, and 1 minute with 10 swings might be more productive than trying to capture one "typical" swing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My god, this must be the most amazing looking swing ever. I have to see this on video. Equipment won't do much, -5° angle of attack must be fixed. -2° might be acceptable, but damn, -5?

I'm with you on this one...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

charging the camera,,,it has video. I will tee up 14 shag balls in a line and hit 7 w new driver 7 w old driver...so no editing will be needed. maybe an hour cuz turkey time in 1:20

its done and loading....the wife said its uglier on video than in person.

here is the video...yes ive heard it all before

By the way, my computer here says that a -5° angle of attack with a 15° driver, 120 mph swing speed will result in a 231 yard carry with a launch angle of 9.3° and a backspin of (get this) 5613 rpm!

Yup, that's why I was asking him about him backspin. I don't understand how his ball travels 200+ yards without going above "3-5 feet".

its done and loading....the wife said its uglier on video than in person.

Sorry but those swings are not 120+ mph. Think your wife was trying to make you feel better about your swing so don't take her word for it.

Oh and tell your bro good job on the camera work!

« Keith »

charging the camera,,,it has video. I will tee up 14 shag balls in a line and hit 7 w new driver 7 w old driver...so no editing will be needed. maybe an hour cuz turkey time in 1:20

The swing or the outfit? Seriously though, I think you could waste a lot of money buying "off the rack" drivers. A swing like that needs a custom fitted driver.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's one way to preset hands forward into impact!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's one way to preset hands forward into impact!

That swing is fantastic, right? I mean, we all know that "forward shaft lean at impact" is the key to greatness!?!?

regarding the backspin,,,i have no idea. I guess you had to be there, its happened more than once. The ball leaves low and just cruises at the same elevation for over 100 yards, then rolls out at least 50 more. Maybe 200 was a little much, but the distance overall was 250 on moist fairway in 45degrees. Could have been 180 190?

The cat post was funny as hell, yea I get those reactions. Notice the first club, tees were set 3.5 inches high, people get freaked out about that too.

The outfit was vintage Turkey day comfort clothes, my son and I had a limited window to film, it began to rain as soon as we walked into the field so I had to rush a little.

The swing looked slower than my normal, I didnt stretch or warm up and it was a little cold so I was feeling stiff. Without a doubt 10 balls carried over 250.. 1 was topped and were 2 small hooks and 1 low traj if my memory is correct. I know the field its an adjacent park and Ive measured the tee to woods distance, my son said one went into the woods, like the 2nd one. The woods are over 290 easy. I would guess I was swinging 110-115, the last two I was a little winded.

Ive never seen the swing on video, but no doubt its ugly. A scratch friend of mine said its a miracle I even shoot 90's, let alone high 80's, I guess I see why now.

I think purcahsing a driver with such a high amount of loft is one of the biggest mistakes that you can make. A higher lofted driver is an absolute band-aid solution to your issue after viewing your swing and it is obvious that you don't hit the ball consistently enough to really benefit from the therotical idea of a higher lofted driver anyway. You will still have the inconsistent shots with the higer lofted driver that you suggested which, makes it clear that the issue is your swing. That said, you look like you have the ability to generate a good amount of power and with proper lessons, could probably develop a swing that is a little more mechanically sound and consistent.

I'm surprised your scratch friend hasn't offered up any tips or advice but consulting your local pro would be a great thing to consider.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!