IGNORED

Oban shafts

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, I've currently got 2 different drivers one with a Devotion 7 and the other with a Kiyoshi 7 and a Devotion 8 in my 3W and absolutely love them all. Oban makes outstanding shafts, I'd 100% recommend them to anybody. The Devotion (blue) is a low launching low spinning shaft that is actually their cheapest offering. The Kiyoshi (purple) is a mid/high launching shaft ultra low spin shaft and is one of their pricer shafts.

I'm pretty partial to the Devotion because I think it's a better option for what I need in a driver shaft plus compared to the other low launch low spin options out there it's by far the most price effective option out there. The Kiyoshi feels almost exactly the same and just has different launch characteristics.

I've tried just about every shaft there is and Obans have been my favorite by far. I plan on dropping another Devotion 7 in my 910 if I don't love the stock Ahina that comes with it.

Hope this helps

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

Yes, I've currently got 2 different drivers one with a Devotion 7 and the other with a Kiyoshi 7 and a Devotion 8 in my 3W and absolutely love them all. Oban makes outstanding shafts, I'd 100% recommend them to anybody. The Devotion (blue) is a low launching low spinning shaft that is actually their cheapest offering. The Kiyoshi (purple) is a mid/high launching shaft ultra low spin shaft and is one of their pricer shafts.

which shaft of theirs would you recommend for someone with a 100mph swing that hits low to medium trajectory ball flight. Do you have to have a higher SS for the Kiyoshi to work since its so low spin?

It depends what you're looking for. All of their shafts as long as your playing the correct flex should give you lower spin, assuming the driver shaft you have now spins too much. If you hit it low to medium and want to hit it higher go with a Revenge or Kiyoshi if you want to keep your trajectory the same a Devotion would be better.

Everything is dependent on your launch conditions, so you need to get fitted. You may go on Oban's website and find their local distributor and contact them and explain what you're looking for. Just slapping in a shaft without getting fitted might actually cause you to lose distance or control.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

i just put a devotion 7 in my driver. shot dispertion is much tighter. I gained a couple miles an hour clubhead speed and lost 600rpm. I was on a vector launch monitor and it said I was at 112 with my fujikura and 116 with the oban. 2600rpm with the fuji and 2000 with the oban.. i love the shaft.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

• 1 year later...

I've been hitting so called stiff shafted drivers all my life. After a very frustrating season of constantly fighting a slice, I finally decided to purchase yet another driver and shaft. I picked up a Titliest D2 9.5° fitted with a Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 (04) stiff shaft. I just got back from the range and I am still laughing at how ridiculously good this thing is. I haven't hit the ball this far since I was in my early twenties. It is absolutely the best driver/shaft combo I've ever hit, by far. All of last year I was wondering if I had just lost my swing and power. I kid you not, I was consistently blasting the ball into the treeline, which is an upsloping 275 yard shot. This combo, I would guestimate, is launching it over 300 on a flat setup every single time. I was easing off and producing a nice easy fade of 250, but when I put a full swing on it, it was laser straight and boring. The leaves were falling from the Autumn trees above the 275 markers. They ain't finding them balls. Oh yes, and these were those junk floater balls that I got to hit at the local range with a lake in front of you for the first 100 yards. I can't wait to take this combo to the good range with some quality balls! I feel like I can do whatever I want as far as working the ball. Ease off and I can still produce an easy fade (not a slice from hell). Hit it with a full swing and crush it straight. Amazing. It is my opinion that the shaft on this combo is the primary reason I am crushing the ball, given that I spent this whole past year fighting a slice and significant distance problems. I believe, and I could be wrong, that I could stick another similar quality head on this shaft and probably get similar results. As for now, this D2 and Kiyoshi shaft is Nirvana. So for anyone out there considering this shaft, I would wholeheartedly recommend you try it. My swing speed is around 108. I'm 6'3" tall and still in good shape at over 40. I'm sure everyone is different, but for my build and swing, this is it. I have never written a review before. That's how blown away I was. I came home and decided to write one.

Well, I'll be humble. I have a Revenge Hybrid 65g Shaft in my TM RBZ 25 that is an inch shorter than standard - and I'm getting consistent, and high and long ball flight - 4i distance. No complaints - can't wait to try another Oban in a driver or fairway.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry about the gloating. I'm not trying to brag. It's just that I never thought that a shaft could "fix" the problems I 've dealt with. I'm just flat out excited about this combo. I honestly thought I had just lost my ability to drive the ball like I used to be able to. Maybe the D2 head is part of the reason too. I'll post again in a less enthusiastic way next time. I called the neighbor and were heading to range tomorrow. I want him to try this thing. Try that Kiyoshi. I've never hit the other Oban shafts like the Devotion or the Revenge.

Originally Posted by bigbosco

Sorry about the gloating. I'm not trying to brag. It's just that I never thought that a shaft could "fix" the problems I 've dealt with. I'm just flat out excited about this combo. I honestly thought I had just lost my ability to drive the ball like I used to be able to. Maybe the D2 head is part of the reason too. I'll post again in a less enthusiastic way next time. I called the neighbor and were heading to range tomorrow. I want him to try this thing. Try that Kiyoshi. I've never hit the other Oban shafts like the Devotion or the Revenge.

No, no, sorry ... I was just humbled to state I only use an Oban in a hybrid. Typically, one uses such shafts in a driver or fairway, and then moves down to the hybrid and irons. I got the backwards thing working for me...

My son uses a Devotion 65 in his driver and loves it.

Be enthusiastic, please.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would recommend the Revenge as well. Based on the information you gave us it seems like it would fit you best, but there is no substitute for having an Oban dealer fit you personally.

This is right from Oban's website:

The Revenge Series was designed with a moderately softer tip and butt section while maintaining a stiffer mid-section. This stable, yet responsive shaft is best suited for the golfer with a smooth consistent swing and a softer shaft load.

To answer your second question- as long as you pick the right flex for your swing speed than no you don't have to have a higher SS to hit the Kiyoshi.

I have been playing Oban shafts in my driver for a few years now. They're amazing shafts made by a great company.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

• 4 months later...

where did you go to get the oban shaft for your 910.  I have 910d2 with rip60 shaft but if launches too low even though distance is good.  I want a higher trajectory and after much research on alternative shafts, i have my eyes set on the purple stiff flex 65.  Great review by the way.

• 1 year later...

I actually enjoyed your review lol. I play the 913 D2 with a stiff Diamana white 72g shaft in it. I hit it dead straight 90% of the time but I'm getting mid to low trajectory which is what the shaft is designed for. I'd really like to get a higher ball flight and I've read about the kiyoshi oban purple and that's what it promotes. My good friend actually has one he's trying to sell so I'm seriously considering it. My swing speed with my driver is between 95 and 103 roughly and I have a smooth swing. Curious if anyone else has any input about this shaft? Besides the titleist tip I can grab it for a steal of a deal.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I was fitted on LI at Pete's Golf with a Purple Oban in a Ping G25. Loved it. Won a Titleist 913D2 with a Diamanna 62 at a golf outing. Toyed with it. Decided to have my Oban put into the Titleist. In a word nirvana. It is awesome. My shaft is 75 grams. Bombing the ball with tighter dispersion. No comparing the Titleist 913D2 and Ping G25 in my opinion. The Oban with Titleiest is a fantastic combo.

I was fitted on LI at Pete's Golf with a Purple Oban in a Ping G25. Loved it. Won a Titleist 913D2 with a Diamanna 62 at a golf outing. Toyed with it. Decided to have my Oban put into the Titleist. In a word nirvana. It is awesome. My shaft is 75 grams. Bombing the ball with tighter dispersion. No comparing the Titleist 913D2 and Ping G25 in my opinion. The Oban with Titleiest is a fantastic combo.

Good to know, that's the setup I have now.. with a 913. First round with it tomorrow, going to hit the range first to test it out. Thanks for the input

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Ok so I put the shaft in play today. Boy was this the right decision. Completely different flight and I love it, starts low and just climbs! I'm going to get hooked up to track man next week but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm hitting it an extra 15-20 yards. My longest drive today was 293 and shortest was 255. Did I mention I love it??

Got fitted for a 3W 913fd and the oban devotion 75g 04 (stiff) gave me great numbers. The feel of it is just incredible. Very well balanced and felt perfect for my swing. I have a SS around 105 with a quick tempo coming down and this worked perfectly for me. On the LM i was averaging a 250 carry and 260 total with spin rates around 3000 for the 3W. Put in the order and can't wait to hit it!. For the money I think its a great deal and i just love the color of the shaft paired with the titleist head.

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!