IGNORED

2010 New Groove rule : is it a big deal??

ronaldkuntoro
Note: This thread is 4846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ronaldkuntoro

I still wondering if the Tournament offficials really check every bag for non conforming irons.

You don't have to do more than just check the markings on the clubheads,  The model numbers are different for the new grooves.  It isn't that difficult, and you can bet that for any tournament which requires them, they will be watched for.

But for us ordinary Joes, it doesn't make any difference until 2024 unless you enter a tournament which specifies 2010 grooves as a condition of the competition (any competition committee can make this a requirement for play, but it's unlikely that any of us will see it).  And anyway, I've been playing 2010 legal grooves in all but my SW for 2 years now and it hasn't made any difference in my game.  I still get good spin from the fairway, and I just play for more release when I'm playing from the rough.  It's really not an issue.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seriously, is it a big deal to have a conforming irons according to the 2010 new groove rule?

Short answer, irons, probably not a big deal at all.

Wedges, I'm not sure, but likely still only a small deal.  I could allow someone might use irons for 10+ years but wedges, not so much.

Long answer, most of the forged players clubs produced for many years back are already conforming.  For Mizuno guys almost all (actually all AFAIK) the MP line going back as far as the MP-33 are conforming.  I'm not familiar with the Titleist lines but in general it looks like all the 6XX (except the 681) and the 9XX lines have also been conforming from the day they were shipped.  Cleveland, Callaway, and Taylormade ... in general any cast type heads are pretty much not going to be conforming.  For specific info check the ICDB .

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would think that having a non-conforming SW/GW might be an ADVANTAGE for some folks....

Taking some of the spin off a full SW/GW for some guys might help them. I know that I, occasionally, spin these balls off the green...and I'm not as pure a ballstriker as many on this site, let alone top amateurs or most pros.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I still wondering if the Tournament offficials really check every bag for non conforming irons.

In golf the expectation is that players will conform to the rules and not knowingly cheat.  So I doubt that officials will be going around checking bags.  Having said that if someone is consistently  "sticking it" out of the 6" rough an official might take a quick look at the wedges based on that observation.

Butch

I been thinking about grabbing some new wedges with old grooves to use next season.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Note: This thread is 4846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!