IGNORED

"I don't know if I've ever hit a perfect shot..."

colin007
Note: This thread is 4886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I have never been a tiger fan, and I'm still not because of the bull shit he spouts.

Thanks. No relevance to this thread at all, but thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The opening few lines are definitely cringeworthy (Tiger's PR machine using ESPN to convey his message that we're all flawed in our own ways and are essentially no better or worse than him - whatever), but since it has little to no bearing on Colin's rhetorical question, it's really not worth dwelling on.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Not necessarily. A ball spinning around the hole before dropping or slamming in the back is not perfect since it is close to a miss. We can also discuss the meaning of perfect, if it's the result or the shot. For me, it's the shot. A rabbit killer on a short par 3 that end up in the hole is in one way perfect, but in another not. I'm sure Tiger would not call it perfect.

I've hit many "perfect" putts that just didn't go in. I started them on the right line and speed and for whatever reason it didn't break as much as it does every other time or hops and misses. You couldn't hit it any better but it didn't go in. It happens all the time on tour and when I'm putting well to me also. All you can do is give it a chance on the right line. Greens are living changing things.

I've also hit many bad putts that did go in, so go figure.

Brian

We can also discuss the meaning of perfect, if it's the result or the shot. For me, it's the shot.

I agree. My definition of a perfect shot is simply anything that comes off exactly as I envisioned/intended. Maybe my standards of what perfection is are low though.

For example, let's say I'm in the middle of the fairway about 185 yards from the pin, which is tucked in a risky position on the left side of the green. For the shot, I decide to hit a 4-iron and aim for the center of the green. I'm envisioning a big high cut shot. Let's say I hit the shot exactly this way: the ball cuts nice and high and lands in the middle of the green. That, IMO is a perfect shot because everything occurred as I had planned. I picked the right club, I got the ball flight I wanted, and the ball landed and stopped where I was aiming. But what if I by mistake pulled the shot and the ball flew directly at the flag, took two or three hops and then rolled into the cup for an eagle-2? That IMO is not a perfect shot. It was a lucky shot.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holing a putt of any length is perfect

Perfect shots can be imperfect due to condition. For example imperfections on the green off-tracking your putt or a gust of wind knocking your ball down. Some imperfect shots turn out perfect thanks to a lucky bounce here and there.

One shot I vividly remember that is the closest to perfect was an 8 iron from a bunker from about 135 yards out. Picked it clean and stuck it to 2 feet. One of the best shots ever for me considering I am not the best out of the fairway bunkers.

« Keith »

The opening few lines are definitely cringeworthy (Tiger's PR machine using ESPN to convey his message that we're all flawed in our own ways and are essentially no better or worse than him - whatever), but since it has little to no bearing on Colin's rhetorical question, it's really not worth dwelling on.

I think it's definitely relevant to this thread. The stuff Tiger spouts about "never hitting a perfect shot" goes right to his constant PR campaign/image building, and vice versa. Doesn't change my opinion of him as a golfer, he's the best since Nicklaus and maybe the best ever. And I don't care that he cheated on his wife, etc.-that's between them and their kids. But his constant stream of non-statements, or his comments after rounds (good and bad) to the effect that he just didn't play well today, if he could just strike the ball cleaner, or putt better, and so on are disingenuous and blatant attempts to maintain the image of "never being satisfied." It's tiresome and un-endearing, just like "Hello World" was 14 or 15 years ago.

Tiger says " I don't think I have ever hit a perfect shot" come on please , we have all seen him hit not only perfect shots but down right miracleous shots. In my opinion he just gets worse with the bull he talks, I can't even listen to him in interviews any more.

My other post may be a little crass, but I do think it's relevant .

I think the "perfect shot" is when you hit the best shot you can for your skill level. When you make perfect contact and hit the ball as well as "you" can. I've had a few of those shots this year, mostly with my driver as it seems I get more lucky with that club. The old swing- hard- in- case- you- hit-it does actually work sometimes with driver. Tiger is never happy, he could get a hole-in-one and find something wrong with it. Seems to be the most spoiled athlete ever. So what if his marriage didnt work out, he should have never went down that road in the first place, it was doomed to fail as much as he's gone. The thing that golf doesnt have in common with team sports is that there are no home games, every event is far away from where you are so you're always on the road. Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, half of the games are at home so you get to see your family at least half the time during the season and get to sleep in your own bed. Golfers live in hotel rooms. Not to mention sponsor and endorsement committments, Tiger never really has any time to himself unless he takes a hiatus from golf as he did last year. Im not saying I feel any sympathy for the guy but it understandable how things turned out, he's not the terminator-like machine that we thought he was for many years. He's human and eventually reached his breaking point after years of incredible pressure to be what everyone wants him to be. Now, can he become dominant and win again? I guess we'll just have to stay tuned.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Note: This thread is 4886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!