IGNORED

The NFL is Too Soft: Yay or Nay

iacas
Note: This thread is 4909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. The NFL has gotten too soft: agree or disagree?

• I agree, let's bring back hitting. Mean football is good football.
    • I disagree, consider the concussions.

The No Fun League is definitely a watered-down product of what the NFL used to be.

This is all being done so they can push through the 18 game regular season schedule they want. Once they get the 18 game season concession from the NFLPA, we'll see these fines slowly go away.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Look, its football. You don't get on that field with guys that big and fast without understanding the danger involved. I think if you leave your feet then ya that isn't ok, but I don't like all the personal foul calls for DBs breaking up passes. If your coming in fast and the reciever drops down and you go helmet to helmet, how can you stop?

I think it is really unfair to defenses as there job is to break up plays, and often that is done with the big hit.

Brian

The players are much bigger, faster, and stronger than they were even 20 years ago.

This is a important point. The players are much bigger, faster, and stronger than they were 20 years ago. This means that the QB player has to evolve. The QB has to get smarter, faster, sneaker, and tougher than they were 20 years ago. There has been a mild movement towards this with Vick/Young/Tebow. These QBs are not always aplauded for thier lazer lightning arm, but they can take a hit, or dish one out if need be.

This would force an evolution towards quarterbacks that are tough like Farve playing through pain and being good (not this year) at it. It would reduce the squeeky little whining b&^ches of QBs like E. Manning that can't slide at the end of a run without forcing his own fumble. Imagine a world where Christian Okoye is taking the snap, and he protected the ball till he found someone to pass it off to. Defense evolves, O. Line evolves, play calling evolves, clock management evolves, QBs evolve......... seems fair.

In my Ogio Cart Bag
Driver: 460 10.5 R7
4- S Wedge: R7 CGB Max
Putter: Afinity Cheapo Putter
Balls: I generally use them

This is a important point. The players are much bigger, faster, and stronger than they were 20 years ago. This means that the QB player has to evolve. The QB has to get smarter, faster, sneaker, and tougher than they were 20 years ago. There has been a mild movement towards this with Vick/Young/Tebow. These QBs are not always aplauded for thier lazer lightning arm, but they can take a hit, or dish one out if need be.

As a former linebacker I don't like QB's at all, but to be fair, there are some equipment differences you didn't factor in. Most QB shoulder pads are not very protective, nor are their helmets and other pads the same as the other players.

Extreme mass works for a RB but isn't always conducive to throwing a football long distances, or quick release. As long as the passing game is a major part of the NFL offense I doubt you'll see guys much bigger than Vince Young. Jemarcus Russell is 6' 6" 260, and the Colts have a QB who's 6' 3" 275 but they aren't having much success in the NFL right now. Big Ben is 6' 5" 240 so he's probably the most successful big QB playing right now. I do think the position will change more over time, I remember when Fran Tarkington was considered a scrambler and he'd be considered immobile compared to Steve Young, and Vick today.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most QB shoulder pads are not very protective, nor are their helmets and other pads the same as the other players.

Well, if I was the most targeted person on the field, I would want the most protective gear. While an OK athlete may be good with optimum gear, a great athlete will excell with whatever gear is given to them.

Part of the evolution involves managers accepting slightly slower passers that can play every game of the season.

In my Ogio Cart Bag
Driver: 460 10.5 R7
4- S Wedge: R7 CGB Max
Putter: Afinity Cheapo Putter
Balls: I generally use them

Vick does have a lazer lightning arm. Up until this year, it was his accuracy that was in question. And Vick/Young can't really take a hit. They are injured easily with the punishment they take running, especially Vick since he is nowhere near as big as Young. Tebow is the only one that would try to run over people. And even he would get injured if he did it a lot. Vick can't slide either. The Braves even tried to come in and teach him and he couldn't figure it out.

Note: This thread is 4909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!