IGNORED

Only Play Half Set of Irons - Better Game?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 1872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At my HI of 13, I don't need to be creative.   I need to be consistent with what I try to do.   Keep things simple and be good at them is what I need to master.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I am no beginner although I still play like one. Yes, my biggest issue is lack of consistency. With that in mind I carry a full bag. As I start to learn what my “go to” clubs are I will have a better idea what I can put on the bench.

For a number of reasons, I have banished my 5i, 6i, and 8i from the set.  This leaves me with my 50º, 56º, 60º, 71 and 9i along with my hybrids.  Most recent round was acceptably in my average round and since the sending the clubs to purgatory, my HC has even dipped a bit.  The biggest ting is that it is forcing me ti think through the shots better, use the way I choke or don't on the clubs and vary the fullness of the backswing to make me actually play the course to my advantage.  Not sure when or even if the banishment will end; but en any event I will learn the remaining clubs very well.

This is MY current plan and, with continued coaching, I will stick with it for now.  

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I didn't start breaking 100 with any consistancy until I went with a minimalist set up. One day at home I was thinking about my game (imagine that...😉) and was pretty disgusted with the state of things. I took a hard look at my bag, and pulled out every stick I didn't feel warm and fuzzy about. Left me with 5 clubs. Driver, 7 wood, 8 hybrid, PW, putter. I know... Anyways, took that setup to the course and immediately broke 100 with it (98). I don't get to practice or play much, but since going with a minimal setup I spend more time in the 90's than I do the 100's. I'm confident in my ability to hit a reasonable shot 7 out of 10 times with evey club in my bag. About 180-200 with driver, and I'm good for 150 or so with that 7 wood. Now I'm out about 350. If it's a long par5 I just hit the 7 again. On most of the munis and other courses we play around here, that's plenty of distance. And I'm pretty serviceable around the green with that 8 hybrid. I spend very little time trying to hit shots I have no business trying. IMHO it's a great strategy for high cappers. And you can always add more clubs to the bag, as you play and get better. Low cappers can benefit too, becoming more imaginative with shots, and so on. Boy, I'm long-winded today... apologies 🙏

When I was a lot younger, in my early teens, I could not afford a half set of clubs, let alone a full set. I played with a 3 wood, 3 iron,7 iron, 9 iron, and a putter. I had 3 golf balls I remember. They were called Fautless, and the reason I bought them is because if I hit them into a lake or pond, they would float. I didn't realize though if you hit them into the middle of a lake that it would take forever for them to make their way to land.

Anyway, I learned to hit those clubs different ways. Hood the 7 iron to produce a low boring shot, or open the blade up on a 9 iron to land it softly. Because of this I turned into a decent playing amateur golfer.

You don't need a full  set of clubs to play good golf, or score good. You just have to know how to play with what you have.

In other words, you could give some people 30 clubs to play a round with, and their scores would not be any better...

When I started playing golf, decades ago, it was not uncommon to play with a half set of irons and usually they were the odd numbers for some reason.  I do believe it encourages you to develop your "shot making" abilities as you often find yourself either tying to bust a 9I or shorten a 7I.  I play with 14 clubs these days but do have a Sunday Bag with less than a half set I use when wanting to get in a practice round and walk.  No way these days I could walk and carry (or push) for 18 hole with a full set.  So my Sunday Bag is 3H, 5I, 7I, 9I, 56 Degree wedge, and a putter.  Pretty short set but light weight and I enjoy it.  I don't keep score so I can't compare this with playing with my foursome other than I like walking alone on the course,  even on days I can't make all 18.

• Like 2

Butch

Note: This thread is 1872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!