IGNORED

Distance Exageration

Big Don
Note: This thread is 6382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me or is anybody else amazed at the exaggerated carry distances claimed on forums?

I am amazed the extent to which golfers grossly exaggerate the carry distance of their drives and iron shots. Like everybody else who boasts about their carry distances, I can carry a drive 290 yards (nawww!!!!! real distance - 235 yards) and an easy swing on my 7 iron usually carries to about 180 yards (nawww!!!! real distance - 145 yards).

If I was able to consistently drive 290 yards I'd be hitting the ball as far as Paul Lawrie the 1999 Open Champion or Sergio Garcia. Obviously I don't and I doubt that the majority of the "fantasy merchants" who claim these distances do either.

Anybody else got an opinion on this?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

I agree..

I carry 250 - 270 with my driver.. Im no long hitter.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Is it just me or is anybody else amazed at the exaggerated carry distances claimed on forums?

the higher the handicap, the grosser the exaggeration...seems like 20+ handicaps quote that one time they caught it solid hitting downhill and downwind...

that said, I'm a mid handicap...on a calm day, hitting to a flat fairway, if i catch it perfectly, i hit 280-285 with roll...but that'll happen like 25% of the time. because i don't want people thinking i exaggerate my distances, i don't tell people i hit it 280...i usually just tell them 265 (which i can do relatively consistently, and because i'm tall, relatively athletic and in my 20's, no one bats an eye). the worst exaggeration that i've personally seen is a guy i know (5'9", 170ish)...he plays to around a 18-20 (though whenever he tracks his own scores, he is shooting in the low 80s)...he'll tell you he hits it 330. in reality, he's 240 on a solid hit, 260 if he really catches it...

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

I agree. There is too much exaggeration on the web. It is particularly difficult when reading reviews on clubs (especially drivers) and they end with a story about how they drove a 330 yard par 4, or they now are able to consistently drive 290-300. How can I take a review like that seriously? I know there are amateurs who can genuinely hit it that far, but how many do it with consistency?. I could probably hit 280 if I wanted to, but it would be in the fairway about 10% of the time. But, I can only control a swing speed of about 100mph, so I settle for 250-260. I play with a coulple guys who say that I'm sneaky long since I don't seem to swing hard but still outdrive them most of the time. The only reason I outdrive them is because I hit the sweet spot, with consistency. Also, there are a lot of strong lofted iron sets now, which exaggerate distances on their own. I used to play with a set of Adams GT and I hit that 7 iron about 165, but it was 3 degrees stronger than standard, so in reality, it was like hitting a 6 iron. I also agree with the previous post that the exaggeration seems to goes up as handicapp does.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

I am long and dont really care if anyone beleives me or not, they are more than welcome to join me on the course anytime I go out if anynoe wants to see.

I'd love to play a round with you, it would be great, maybe at PGA West Stadium Course. Bring Lee along so he can show us how to ace Alcatraz. I like to play with better players because its inspiring. I believe your distance, I've played with a lot of good players that can carry it that far.

The guys at Q school were definitely carrying it that far and more, and at the Charles Schwab Cup a lot of the seniors also had that much carry or more. If you've got distance you've got it, simple as that. Now, on equipment reviews on the web, it is hilarious to read those distances. Especially when a guy gets a new driver and before hit it 250, now it's over 300 . . . right . . . most of the drivers and balls today will give you the same distance, it's swing speed, launch angle, spin, and hitting the sweet spot that really count.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

This isn't limited to golf. It's an 'internet thing'. The inability to call someone on being full of it, allows for gross exaggeration. Younger folk do it more often and that becomes really apparent if you're interacting a lot on the web, via IRC or whatever.

I disagree about the high handicappers exaggerating mostly. There's a personality type that isn't limited to poor scores that just perfers to B.S. when it comes to these matters.

On the other hand, I have a friend I golf with who is just really an idiot when it comes to yardage. (IE. He actually fools himself) I believe if you met this guy in real life, you'd know what I'm talking about.

We had a 209 yard whole about a month ago. He pulls out a mid iron, and I say, 'going for the green with that?' (not to be a jerk, I was just generally surprised). He says 'Oh yeaaaaa...' (Like I do this all the time.)

Needless to say he scalped the ball resulting in a worm burner. Then he proceeds to hit another the same way ( no one was behind us). Then in anger he grabs his driver! Rips it hard, and slices it harder into the bush.

Watching this I pulled out my 3 Wood and let a nice easy swing go and had my best strike of the day (edge of green). And he will still insist he used the right club.

My point is there are some people who genuinely fool themselves and believe they have great yardage. (This same guy will often tell me it's because he's sober with me. lol He claims he plays much better half corked.)

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Some of the inaccuracy with hackers is that we don't do things consistently. I have really seen this with short and mid irons. A guy overswing, delofts the club. The result is a low shot that goes farther and rolls out. Maximizing iron distance is immaterial to more experienced golfers. They are striving for consistent, distance and controlled trajectory for a shot that checks up predictably.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Thi

I haven't met too many low single digit guys who misrepresent their distances, have you?

there are two categories of BSers...the first, as you say, are the BSers who do it because it's their personality to. The more common, in my experience, are the ones who claim a distance because there was that one time they actually did drive the ball 290. and for a high handicapper, it is much more difficult for him to repeat this (than a scratch golfer), so we're more apt to label the high handicapper's claim of distance as an exaggeration. personalities inclined to BS are definitely present in golf, as in everywhere else...but i personally see people BSing more often as a result of their selective memories than anything.

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

I haven't met too many low single digit guys who misrepresent their distances, have you?

On forums? (as the OP asked) Yes, I believe so. But then again they could be fudging their handicaps as well. I believe the 'fish' stories aren't limited to poor players. Ego isn't limited to poor skill.

I get a kick out of watching pro's even pull out a club that's too short because they're playing with Tiger or a similar situation.

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Oh should have mentioned, as well as my long drives, I also regularly serve aces like Pete Sampras when I'm on the Tennis Court. Must sign off my nurse has just arrived to administer my medication and lock me in for the night.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

I think that there are many people who lie about this but i do for a fact hit a 7 iron 180 but thats not great tiger hits his 200 so thats that... also i guess you have to know the person to decide whether to believe them or not but just to tell you there are quiet a few ppl out there that drive the ball that far. i know this because my average drive is any where from 290-320 depending on conditions and how good im playing. so yes people do lie but there also alot of people who tell the truth.

I think that there are many people who lie about this but i do for a fact hit a 7 iron 180 but thats not great tiger hits his 200 so thats that... also i guess you have to know the person to decide whether to believe them or not but just to tell you there are quiet a few ppl out there that drive the ball that far. i know this because my average drive is any where from 290-320 depending on conditions and how good im playing. so yes people do lie but there also alot of people who tell the truth.

I agree, i've played with a lot of long hitters, some are great players and some can drive it out of sight but can't hit a wedge to save their lives. Also seen players hit 3 woods off the tee amazing distances like 285, that really blows my mind but as a youngster i could hit a 3wood farther than a driver but now . . . no chance. There isn't that much between a swing speed of 110 and one of 125, when i practice with the Speed Stick i can jump from 110to 122 just with a little extra adrenaline and balance.

So if a person can get a little extra power into their swing it is possible to add a great deal of distance, but as one gets older that adrenaline rush and power just isn't there like it used to be and the distances decline. A 7 iron 180, yes, used to be able to do that, now it's 140 LOL! So i do believe some of the players with their distances.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I disagree about the high handicappers exaggerating mostly. There's a personality type that isn't limited to poor scores that just perfers to B.S. when it comes to these matters.

All the low handicappers that I know do not exaggerate their distances. They are concerned much more about scoring than bragging about how far they can or cannot hit the ball. Many of the high handicappers I know either knowingly or unknowingly misrepresent their distances, especially with irons. For example, they count roll instead of just carry. Of course these are general observations. I'm sure everyone knows people that don't follow this trend, but we can only talk in terms of generalizations. And, I think most of us agree that, on average, there is a relationship between handicapp and distance exaggeration (intentional or unintentional).

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

Distance is something that stunns you (big time ! ) if like myself you have returned to the game from a long lay off.

I now view most short par 4's as drivable when hitting the ball well!.
I wouldn't say I actually hit many greens doing this, maybe 1 in 20 max but distance has made the game much easier for me in this respect as I still seem to quite good with a wedge (shame my putting still stinks).

At club level I seem a little longer than most from the tee, this was so odd at first because I gave the game up aged 16 playing off the same handicap and on a good day maybe hitting just over 200 yards!
I know a lot of this is because I have grown up, I'm no longer a 7 stone weakling, in fact Im twice the weight now and a little bit fuller.
I'm not a big hitter with my irons tho, in fact I'm short owing to the fact I play them all from my left foot a little like a driver, this I find gives me more stopping power even with my long irons for par 3's.

I know how many many players exagerate about distance and to be fully honest I'm hitting about 270 yards, with a good bounce and roll in summer I can crack the 300 mark but it tends to lead me into trouble.
These are range figures and not from a score card, I know a lot of players drive a 300 yard hole and think they have hit a ball 300 yards when in truth they have faded around a corner of a dog leg or hit over trees ect.

Many people seem to be confussed about distance untill they actually see a (Real) long hitter, I watched a few at a demo day here and then you realise your not long at all .

Note: This thread is 6382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!