Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Learning To Golf - Practice Week 8

1 post in this topic

After my last round I had a list of things I needed to work on in the following order; putting, tee shots with woods, more consistently striking the ball to improve dispersion.

Putting: Painful, I found a practice green and continued to have difficulty with distance. I seem to read the greens and line my putts up correctly but distance is a problem. The Rossa Corza Ghost may be the right putter for some, but I can't get a feel for it. I've ordered a pre-owned SC Studio Style Newport 2 putter which is a blade and based on the reviews I've read will hopefully be easier to control distances with.

Tee Shots - Despite my experience at the range, I couldn't hit my driver straight during my round. I was a bit more consistent with the 3 wood, but I didn't have much confidence swinging anything off the tee boxes. I need to work on my driver and fairway woods because I can tell my swing is not the same as my irons. I find myself overswinging and not following through the same way. I also notice that repeated practice with my long woods throws off my iron swing. I'm planning on having my instructor work with me on the long woods tomorrow if it doesn't rain so we can figure out what my issues are.

Dispersion: While most of my iron hits were good, they were inconsistent, mostly in terms of distance. Some 8i hits went longer than my 5i. I have decent control over direction, but I'm not striking the ball the same which is causing different lofts and distance. It's hard to pick the right club when you don't have consistent distances with them. Something else to figure out with the instructor.

I'm intrigued by all that I'm reading about S&T;, mostly in the simplicity of the swing which would seem to result in more consistent hitting. I don't think my current instructor teaches it, at least he's never brought it up and doesn't have me utilizing any of the key elements of the pattern. I bought the book and have started to read it, maybe try it out to see how it feels this weekend at the range.

I am trying to get a swing engrained into my muscle memory since the season is ending shortly and I will have 3-4 months of layoff until the spring. I don't want to start over so I'm hoping that I can find an indoor range that I can at least hit some balls at once a week. This game is frustrating.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Going back to the original question about how important your handicap is to you. I think that everyone plays the game of golf for different reasons. Some people play to better their handicap, some people play because they love the game. I play because to me its such a stress reliever. My work is very stressful and anytime I can go to the golf course and play relieves my stress. There is nothing that is more stress relieving than playing a round of golf by myself on a beautiful peaceful course. I am usually drinking when playing to. I enjoy getting better at the game, but my handicap means nothing to me, its all about enjoying the game and really relieving all the stress from life. 
    • The tournaments I enter do not use my USGA handicap, it uses a handicap from the associations own summary of scores (I don't enter any scores, they do everything on their own).  My USGA handicap I use for only my own reflection.  I guess I never made that clear.
    • Go for it. But as it's fairly off topic here, please post in this thread:   If your proposal to improve 18-2 is to not allow marking/lifting/cleaning on the putting green… it doesn't really change 18-2 at all, because the ball can still move after being at rest, due to the player or other things. This thread is to propose changes to rule 18-2. Everyone gets to have their own opinion, but I've yet to see one that has changed my mind. I'm against making the standard of proof "virtual certainty" (particularly when your ball is on pine straw, or in the rough, or countless other situations beyond the putting green), but I'd be amenable to some sort of threshold around 75%, not that I have the faintest idea how to word it or apply that relatively evenly. That's incorrect. The weight of all evidence is considered and the most likely cause(s) identified. If the player was ten feet away and the wind didn't blow and the earth didn't shake or other things… the player would not be deemed at fault even without any "extenuating circumstance(s)." Your proposal is based on a misunderstanding of the current rule. DJ was deemed to have caused the ball to move, because of his actions very near to the ball in time and space. He caused his ball to move, the rules committee deemed. It wasn't simply the lack of "extenuating circumstances" that doomed DJ. It was what he did right near the ball and right around the time the ball moved. The absence of those "extenuating circumstances" and the presence of his own actions are what caused the rules committee to feel he surpassed the 50% threshold. The USGA and R&A apply this rule the same. I suggest you re-read 18-2/0.5 again. Particularly: @Gunther, 18-2 is not a case of "guilty unless proven innocent." I believe @Fourputt was suggesting the rule go back to the way it was a decade ago or so. I disagree with that (reverting to the older rule), @Fourputt. Yes, it was "cleaner" to apply, but it resulted in penalty strokes being assessed to players who did nothing wrong and did not, themselves, cause the ball to move. That's not worth the "cleanliness" IMO.
    • Sort of along these same lines for me.  I'm not at 2.5 but in the past year I've passed under 5.4 and 4.4, both of which are threshholds for qualifying tournaments I've always wanted to play.  As long as I can stay under those threshholds, and ideally keep going down (there is another qualifier available to me at 3.4, as well as at 2.4 and 1.4) then I'll be happy and keep entering those qualifiers.  But if I don't, then well, it's not a huge deal either.
    • Ugh. High heeled golf shoes. No thanks. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. billymo2
      (24 years old)
    2. bostonboy9416
      (16 years old)
    3. kpaulhus
      (29 years old)
  • Blog Entries