IGNORED

Nike is everwhere - how much is marketing vs. quality

Note: This thread is 4862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I will never buy any Nike product as long as the profits go into the University of Oregon sports programs.  Call me a Duck Hater, but that's the way it is.  Besides, their Nike One balls are crap.

I hate the Jets, but I still buy Hess gas because it's cheaper near me. Just sayin'.

Doubt that I'll ever see a Nike product that is cheaper than any other.  Especially their clothing.  Oh well, somebody has to pay for Oregon's beautiful, neon-yellow football uniforms.  Might as well be golfers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

I will never buy any Nike product as long as the profits go into the University of Oregon sports programs.  Call me a Duck Hater, but that's the way it is.  Besides, their Nike One balls are crap.

I hate the Jets, but I still buy Hess gas because it's cheaper near me. Just sayin'.

Doubt that I'll ever see a Nike product that is cheaper than any other.  Especially their clothing.  Oh well, somebody has to pay for Oregon's beautiful, neon-yellow football uniforms.  Might as well be golfers.

Go to a Nike outlet store.

last year's fashion which is the same thing as this year's basically for half off. Just got 2 $25 polos, a $20 pair of shorts and a $25 pair of pants.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I have had the opportunity to hit their products and these are my thoughts.

The Woods - Hate them!  Not so much for the performance factor, but for the sound they make.  They sound like an empty tin can when hit.  The older Drivers were sub par, but I think the more recent offering are very similar to the market average.

Irons - I have hit the TW Blades and a few of their forged offerings.  I liked them very much.  They had a very responsive feedback and I was able to work them very well.  I will say that the sets I was hitting were upgraded with KBS shafts.  I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Nike does not make their irons?

Wedges - Did not really care for them, but I find it hard to compare anything to Vokey's!!!

Putters - I don’t really care for them.  I tried the new Methods when they became available....and just didn’t like they way the ball came off the face, it felt lazy!

Ball - I don’t like the ball.  To be fair I was given all the balls I wanted for free (Platinum’s) and I used them as range balls into the lake behind my house, they were garbage!  They chased me away from the ball products.  Secondly, I am a ProV1 loyalist, to the point that I am an official tester for their prototype products!

Bag - They switched up to a full Nike sponsorship halfway through college.  So I have several of their Bags, I would take a PING Hoofer.  Granted, they have made big improvements in the last few years.  Their Staff bags are KILLER!!!  but those are just billboards, so they should be.

Apparel - They are the best on the market!  I where nothing but their Performance Dri-Fit Undershirts for daily’s and on the course.  I have probably 25 golf polo’s, and during the heat of a Georgia Summer, I would wear nothing else.  Their golf shorts and pants are also a staple on the golf course as well as the office.

Shoes - They make a suitable product. I much prefer my Adidas 360's

I think they do spend alot of money in the marketing realm, but so does Adidas with Taylor Made.

Originally Posted by Bigtank

I have had the opportunity to hit their products and these are my thoughts.

Irons- I have hit the TW Blades and a few of their forged offerings.  I liked them very much.  They had a very responsive feedback and I was able to work them very well.  I will say that the sets I was hitting were upgraded with KBS shafts.  I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Nike does not make their irons?

they do make their own irons

all the crap you hear about someone else forging their irons is .....well crap

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

My distaste for Nike goes back about 15 years, when I was playing hockey and Nike burst onto the scene.  The local "mom-and-pop" hockey shop that most of us shopped at wanted to carry Nike's gear (of course, because they knew it was going to be popular), and Nike thumbed their noses at them....looked at their books and said they didn't do enough sales volume to make it worth their while.  I didn't like seeing the "little man" get hosed like that and it put a bad taste in my mouth.  It actually gave me enormous satisfaction that the first couple generations of their hockey gear was crap...lots of guys jumped on the bandwagon and bought their skates, and you wouldn't believe the rush of "like new" Nike Vapors posted on the used gear board at the rink within the next few months!

Ever since then, I've made it a point not to own anything Nike.  I know it doesn't affect their business one iota, but it left such a bad impression with me that I've never gotten over it.  I'm so adamant about it that I once refused to borrow a friend's Nike windshirt when it unexpectedly turned frigid out on the golf course and I didn't have a jacket/windshirt in my bag - I told him I'd rather freeze than wear Nike gear.

I can't/won't judge their golf gear or say anything derogatory about it because I've never tried any of it - not ever even hit one Nike ball.  It may well be the best stuff in the world, but I'll never know and fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives available for me.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only thing I like from Nike is their clothes.  There dri-fits are awesome and their styles are great.  Now that everyone else has a dri-fit of some sort I tend not to buy nike unless im in one of their outlet stores around the holidays.

Note: This thread is 4862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!