IGNORED

R11 to be released Feb 4th. Pre-release discussion

Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a stupid question about adjustable drivers. If you can change the loft 1* +/- why would there be an option as to loft "out of the box?" If you were to get a 10* loft driver wouldn't the adjustable range be from 9* to 11*? EOM's offer different lofts options for their adjustable clubs and I am not understanding how someone would pick one or the other unless you want something less than 9* or greater than 11* which in my experience doesn't fit the vast majority of players. More curious than anything.

Originally Posted by upah

OK so this has been driving me nuts since I saw the proto pics:  from an engineering perspective, how does the adjustable sole plate manipulate the face angle?  It doesn't appear to have any influence mechanically, but there has to be something.  Any ideas?

I've heard that it simply changes how the club sits on the ground, which can cause the clubface to open or close.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 1par2win

I have a stupid question about adjustable drivers. If you can change the loft 1* +/- why would there be an option as to loft "out of the box?" If you were to get a 10* loft driver wouldn't the adjustable range be from 9* to 11*? EOM's offer different lofts options for their adjustable clubs and I am not understanding how someone would pick one or the other unless you want something less than 9* or greater than 11* which in my experience doesn't fit the vast majority of players. More curious than anything.

A couple of reasons, First some people need 7.5* and some need 11.5* and there isn't a driver on the market that could be adjustable for that big of a span.  Second, until the R11 and Titliest 910 you couldn't change loft and the club independently of each other.  On the old R9's if you opened the face you effectively delofted the club a bit and vice versa.  At least thats how my R9 3 wood works, the drivers may be a bit different.

And last, theres a great majority of people that don't want to mess with anything they just like the club so they want to go in the store and buy a 9.5* and be done with it.  If you had to adjust a club just to get the loft you want it may put some people off.

On a side note, these drivers are growing on me.  I absolutely hated them at first but now after seeing all the pics I don't find them as bad.  Especially the Burner 2.0.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1par2win View Post

Good question :-) Got an answer for this one too because I actually had the situation where a different loft (pre-adjusted) was necessary. I play with 1-1.5° open face. My first adjustable driver was the Nike Dymo STR8-Fit 9.5°. So basically, when I opened the face up those couple of notches, I ended up an effective loft that was something stupidly low like 8 or 8.5°. All the way open it's at like 7.5°, which is really pretty crazy and unreasonable for 99.9% of us out there.

So how do I solve that problem? I later bought the VR STR8-Fit Tour with 10.5° of loft at it's neutral setting, so that now when I open the face angle a single degree, the club has an effective loft of 9.5°, and we're back in the ballpark of what I normally play.

Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post
I've heard that it simply changes how the club sits on the ground, which can cause the clubface to open or close.

You're talking about lie angle, right? Because FCT changes the lie angle when loft and face angle change as well.

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one looking for a little more detail on ASP. I was starting to feel like a dummy or like I was missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie2k5 View Post

On a side note, these drivers are growing on me.  I absolutely hated them at first but now after seeing all the pics I don't find them as bad.  Especially the Burner 2.0.

I wouldn't necessarily say they're growing on me, but I haven't made my mind up yet, at least as far as the appearance goes. I think that I could eventually accept the white crown on both, but the part that kinda gets on my nerves is the extra little graphics they put on the crown. Against that white, they stand out even more than normal to me. Am I the only one that kinda gets annoyed when any manufacturer goes like a half step too far with some of this stuff??

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Originally Posted by Hokie2k5

Agreed.  Ill be going looking to pick up the R11 on Feb 4th but I think the Burner SF 2.0 looks much sexier.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one looking for a little more detail on ASP. I was starting to feel like a dummy or like I was missing something

I was talking about face angle, but now I'm even more confused than before. I had heard (from someone who has hit one) that ASP changes face angle by changing the way the club site on the ground. But now that I think about it, that would seem to change the lie angle too, so now I really have no idea.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

I was talking about face angle, but now I'm even more confused than before.  I had heard (from someone who has hit one) that ASP changes face angle by changing the way the club site on the ground. But now that I think about it, that would seem to change the lie angle too, so now I really have no idea.

I suppose that makes sense.  I don't think that would necessarily change the lie angle as well though..  It still seems relatively trivial.  The plate itself would have to be of varying thickness to basically 'roll' the club at address.  Almost like they engineered an artificial (albeit potentially more consistent) way to strengthen or weaken your grip.

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Seeing DJ use her today was a thing of beauty.  It looked fantastic and sounded great.  Feb 4th cant come soon enough!

taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

I think the 9 degree would be work ok, you have the ability to adjust the loft, some experimentation would be required. I am also a 9.5 degree user when it comes to drivers, I will try the R11 when they are available here to see if it fits me. I tend to hit the ball fairly high anyway so the 9 degree would probably be ok for my swing. I love the look of this driver but it all comes down to feel and accuracy for me. The white color has certainly grown on me, it looked good on tv last night. The white Burner SuperFast looks pretty good also but I like having the ability to make adjustments if required.

Man, this adjustable stuff is somthing else. Sounds to me like it is even more vital with these adjustable drivers to work with a competent club fitter to get all the settings right. I'll just stick with my 909 DComp and hammer it like I always have! Thanks to those that answered my loft question. And good luck to those undertaking the journey with an adjustable driver.

I made a decision. I'll be getting one of these, an r11 fairway, and the new 2011 blades come next season. I'm such a club ho

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

I like the R11 better than cobra ZL but I'm not sure how feel about the white head. The cobra is just too white with everything being white and it's just a turn off. I don't think I will be getting the R11 taylormade has never been high on my list. However I'm guessing you will be seeing a lot of white drivers now so I'm sure something will catch my eye.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeTaylor

I made a decision. I'll be getting one of these, an r11 fairway, and the new 2011 blades come next season. I'm such a club ho

Yeah thats what the problem for me.  If I do get one on the 4th, I will feel weird not having the 3W when it comes out too haha.  I am stoked to see the new Rescue hybrids too.  Might need to upgrade to the new Rescues from my 09 Rescues.

I recently bought the 910D2 and love it. All I can recommend for those that are looking to getting the R11 (or any adjustable driver for that matter), is to get fitted for it. My driver is currently set to "A4", which means it's effectively 12*(+1.5* from standard), and a standard lie. But this is what gave me the best numbers on the launch monitor. I tried several drivers and the Titleist was it for me. Nate
sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

Anyone know if Golf Galaxy does free driver fittings if I purchase a driver?  Also Ive never had a fitting done before so could you guys tell me what they actually do?  Will they do it for only one specific driver if I was set on purchasing just the R11 and not looking for any driver?

yes, as long as it's a new driver. I got one, tested out five different drivers, and got baseline performance data printout for all of them. Very useful for future planning.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Quote:

So Im pretty torn right now if I should go with the 9 or 10.5.  Opinions?

If you're playing a 9.5* head and like the trajectory, I would go with the 9* one. You also have the option of adding loft from what I understand.

Additionally, due to manufacture's tolerances not being extremely "tight", your 9.5* head could be closer to 9 degrees (it could also be closer to 10*).

Quote:

So Im pretty torn right now if I should go with the 9 or 10.5.  Opinions?

If you're playing a 9.5* head and like the trajectory, I would go with the 9* one. You also have the option of adding loft from what I understand.

Additionally, due to manufacture's tolerances not being extremely "tight", your 9.5* head could be closer to 9 degrees (it could also be closer to 10*).

Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!