IGNORED

My Swing (coachjimsc)

coachjimsc
Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well it's that time of year to start getting ready for the season. I'm working on two things right now. The flying wedge drill and trying to keep my shoulders more on plane in the backswing and especially the follow through.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure the second video loaded.

Jim Morgan

Jim Morgan

From what I can see, you do a lot of things well, particularly regarding the forward swing lower body movement.  Your right arm/elbow connection to your torso is excellent going into impact.

Difficult to slow down and pause the videos, especially the second one.

The main issue I can see, as you approach the top of the backswing, there is significant loss of connection of your right arm and torso, you lift up, and  the club goes across your swing plane.  You recover nicely and get the club back on plane in the downswing in part due to your really good lower body movement.  I think you are on the right track working on your backswing shoulder plane.   I feel that if you turned your shoulders steeper on the backswing (what you are working on), and brought your hands in some more, you'll be more on plane at the top, and have a more efficient/repeatable swing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks UT I appreciate the input.

Erik anything to add or did UT pretty much nail it?

Jim Morgan

• 1 year later...

Here are some videos I recorded recently. I have been working on trying to get my right elbow in a better position at the top of the swing.

Keeping a towel under the right arm seems to help get the club in a better position.

elbow_compare2.JPG

Even with the towel it's still not where I want to be but closer. In this image it feels like my elbow in fused to my ribs cage. So to get where I want to be it's going to have to feel like my elbow is in my kidneys.

More updates to come...

Jim Morgan

Looking good. Try palmar flexing your left wrist so that your knuckles face your front left forearm as you approach the top and increase the left wrist palmar flexion maximally in the transition. I think this will get your hands, club shaft, and elbows in even a better position at the top. see Dustin Johnson's left wrist at the top (extreme example) [URL]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/241621/width/640/height/479][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/241621/width/640/height/479[/IMG][/URL]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by uttexas

Looking good. Try palmar flexing your left wrist so that your knuckles face your front left forearm as you approach the top and increase the left wrist palmar flexion maximally in the transition. I think this will get your hands, club shaft, and elbows in even a better position at the top.

see Dustin Johnson's left wrist at the top (extreme example)

Thanks UT, I tried that palmar flexion of the left wrist last night at the range (no video). Wow that change might have to wait until after my golf season is over, which starts tonight. Ball flight was must lower, which I liked, but I lost a ton of distance. I can handle the elbow change right now and still play.

Jim Morgan

The thing that stands out the most is you positions after impact you slide with your upper body toward the target and also lose your spine angle .Try staying over you your ball and behind it a little more through impact.Its a very good swing but that move might effect your 40 50 60 yard shots by making it hard to control your distance .Those are the shots that will help you get to scratch.Just try to stabalize your head on the followthrough side of your swing .just for a drill try hitting some 7 irons without moving your head toward the target at all .Swing in a barrel  !

More video from this past weekend.

Okay so the right arm position with the 8 iron is getting better.

8i_DL.JPG

The Driver however is another story.

Dr_DL.JPG

The above pic is me trying to keep my elbow tight to my side. At least that's what it "felt" like until i saw the video.

So I go back and say alright I'm going to stick my elbow right to my ribs and not let it move off of it. Again it "feels" like right arm is sewn into my side.

And this is what I see...

Dr_DL_elbow.JPG

A little improvement but what the heck is it going to have to feel like to get it where I what to be. Like Erik and many have said on here, Feel Ain't Real!!!!

But even with that small improvement I was able to turn pretty hard with the driver and not go left and it actually had a little fade in it which was nice to see.

Jim Morgan

I wanted to start a separate post for the face on view.

6i_FO_1.JPG

6i_FO_2.JPG

6i_FO_3.JPG

6i_FO_4.JPG

6i_FO_5.JPG

6i_FO_6.JPG

Too much lateral head movement in the third pic. Makes me lose some spine tilt at impact.

Jim Morgan

• Administrator

Originally Posted by coachjimsc

Too much lateral head movement in the third pic. Makes me lose some spine tilt at impact.

Not a priority right now.

What's your miss right now? What are you trying to do?

You've got a bit of a Haney thing going on right now but so long as you can moderate it (not start dropping it well down and inside) you'll be able to play some really good golf from here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Not a priority right now.

What's your miss right now? What are you trying to do?

You've got a bit of a Haney thing going on right now but so long as you can moderate it (not start dropping it well down and inside) you'll be able to play some really good golf from here.

My misses are left mainly. Starts left then draws. I'm trying to get the ball started on my intended line or a little to the right of it.

Yes i started that loop almost two years ago and did play some really good golf. But i just didn't like the way it looked or felt. Very loose and disconnected.

The priorities in my mind are:

1. Right arm position

2. Keeping my inclination to the ground into impact

3. reduce lateral movement of my head

What are you thoughts? Thanks for the response.

Jim Morgan

• Administrator

Originally Posted by coachjimsc

The priorities in my mind are:

1. Right arm position

2. Keeping my inclination to the ground into impact

3. reduce lateral movement of my head

What are you thoughts? Thanks for the response.

#3 is not a big deal.

#2 ties into #1 (and really, #2 isn't that bad):

Analyzr Image Export 01.jpg

Outside on the takeaway, drops it too far inside and under on the downswing. When the face is at the target or, heaven forbid, slightly left, duck hook city. Rory, #10, Augusta 2011.

Your butt and head have pulled off their walls slightly. You spin a bit more late because the hips stop going forwards.

So you want to clean both up?

You lift slightly because your shoulders turn a hair flat. If the right shoulder is higher and the left shoulder is lower, you won't need to lift as much because the hands will already feel higher. This will attack #2 as well (in addition to sliding forward just a teeny bit more). Check these frames out in your video, and the frames between.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Your inclination is at 38 or so at setup, so your shoulders should turn around 38 as well. They don't - they go at 28 (red line) and consequently your inclination matches that at the top of the backswing as well.

From there, with your hands high, the average sucky golfer is going to come over the top and wipe the ball. You are a better player, so you push your hips towards the ball and pull your head back from the ball slightly while dropping the arms and club shaft down. These two actions slow the ability of the hips and shoulders to spin, which is why you stay closed longer and why the club gets so far inside on the downswing.

So left shoulder down more on the backswing - quite literally bend your upper back towards the golf ball more so that your left shoulder is lower. (ten degrees :D)

Also note your chin and where your eyes are looking. Put the chin down and look straight at the ball. It can only help with taking the left shoulder on a more downward trajectory.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Look at how much if your shirt we can see. The Tiger one is chosen mostly for the camera angle - very similar (a bit closer to the ball than we prefer to see - a position from which you'll naturally see less of a golfer's back, but we still shouldn't see part of the front of your shirt).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

#3 is not a big deal.

#2 ties into #1 (and really, #2 isn't that bad):

Outside on the takeaway, drops it too far inside and under on the downswing. When the face is at the target or, heaven forbid, slightly left, duck hook city. Rory, #10, Augusta 2011.

Your butt and head have pulled off their walls slightly. You spin a bit more late because the hips stop going forwards.

Actually I had starting working on the butt and head pulling away on that day. Just didn't want too much on here at once.

I was trying to keep my butt up against the stick which was working okay. What ended up working better for me on Tuesday at the range and then playing on Wednesday was feeling like I just stayed bent over and looking at the ball more at impact. Also the follow thru was a very "under" feeling after impact.

I seem to be able to accomplish this feeling more with the shorts irons than with the driver.

As far as my take away is concerned, I've been under the backswing plane before and never what to go there again. I would however like to get the backswing and downswing plane closer together as you've illustrated. I've played decent golf above the plane but never below it.

Hopeful to get more video this weekend.

So this Erik guy is pretty good. Was this outside in or inside out teaching?

Thanks again Erik. Where do I send the check?

Jim Morgan

Okay took some video before I went out and played today.

I tried to get my chin lower and have my eyes look more at the ball to help lower the left should on the backswing. Then at impact tried to just look at ball with my chin tucked in.

Eyes and shoulders look a little better. Wasn't thinking about the right arm so it got away from me.

eyes_compare2.JPG

eyes_compare.JPG

Jim Morgan

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the range last night. Was trying and I stress trying, to get the club head not as much outside going back and not as inside coming down. Also still working on keeping my eyes down and not stand up into impact. Not very successful with the eyes down and keeping my head from moving back off the wall.

I have been more successful with the short irons.

Dr_1.JPG Dr_2.JPG

Much better position going back. If feels like I'm just yanking it inside.

Dr_3.JPG Dr_4.JPG

Lost inclination at the top. Eyes still looking too far up. Coming away from the wall and still too far inside. And this feels like I'm actually coming OTT.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Dr_5.JPG

Hips slightly better. Shoulders about the same.   %^&*$#!!!!!!

Keeping that head down and still with the driver is turning out to be very difficult because it feels like I'm not moving it at all.

Jim Morgan

Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!