IGNORED

Losing distance with new irons???

Note: This thread is 4849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My dad has my old set of Callaways. I hit them two weeks ago, and my distances were still the same. There are a few suggestions in this thread Im going to attempt before I go ahead and just have the S300's or maybe a lighter stiff steel shaft put in my irons.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DG S300 and X100 weigh the same, if you definitely want lighter steel I'd go with Dynalite XP S300s, higher launch may also help you get back some of the distance.  I'd give it more time though-only thing that matters with irons is distance gaps/accuracy.

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

My dad has my old set of Callaways. I hit them two weeks ago, and my distances were still the same. There are a few suggestions in this thread Im going to attempt before I go ahead and just have the S300's or maybe a lighter stiff steel shaft put in my irons.

If you are only hitting your 39* 8 iron 130 then IMO, you shouldn't be hitting x100s unless the temp was way done there close to freezing.  My driver ss is @ 103 and I carry my 40* 8 iron with s300s @ 150.  I played in the cold weather (45) the other day and lost almost a hole club so my 8 was closer to 140.  Once it got well into the 50s everything was close to being normal.

So I guess my question is how cold was it in Jax?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Well I have had these since October, and I just started noticing the loss in early December. I dont think the weather has gotten over 75* since then. The coldest I have played in so far this year was this past Saturday when it was 35*

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

General rule of thumb that I've heard is 1 yard loss for every 3 degrees colder temperature.  So the distance loss from 80* to 50* (Florida) is 10 yards.  Add to that having to hit with cold muscles and bundled up under layers of clothing.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

General rule of thumb that I've heard is 1 yard loss for every 3 degrees colder temperature.  So the distance loss from 80* to 50* (Florida) is 10 yards.  Add to that having to hit with cold muscles and bundled up under layers of clothing.

And that was pretty much what I experienced at 45* on Saturday.  I heard of that rule of thumb before, but I thought it started at 70 degree.  Either way it's close enough.

kpaulhus:

Well I have had these since October, and I just started noticing the loss in early December. I dont think the weather has gotten over 75* since then. The coldest I have played in so far this year was this past Saturday when it was 35*

I think we have a winner...if you played 2 months with no loss, then you have a loss with cold weather you have to attribute some to that.  At 35*, you have to expect exactly what Harmonious said which would be about 2 clubs in my book.  Go to the range and hit some balls with both 8 irons.  I would think that the graphite shafted club that is bumped up is going to give you 5-10 more than your x100.  If that is not the case then I would still be contemplating s300s myself as a player that would require that shaft should put the 8 iron out there about 160-165 minimum.  Just my .02.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I agree. Its going to be nice this weekend so we will see, but I see the S300's in my future. C'mon income tax return!

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 4849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!