IGNORED

Help Name our Reputation Levels

iacas
Note: This thread is 4845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Kind of a sister thread to this one ...

In addition to getting our reputation points back, we'll have the chance to start over fresh with reputation levels.

As before, everyone will start off with 10 points ("Level 1" in the chart below), and our levels can be adjusted to varying amounts. We can decide on how many reputation levels we want as well, so what I propose below is not final.

Our graphics will likely be little balls on tees (monotone color) in varying colors and quantities. The more you have, the higher your reputation. This will likely be the only public facing reputation value available - raw points will probably not be shown.

Here's a starting off point. I've made up the terms to be somewhat golf-ish and I encourage you to do the same, but other than that, run wild and see what you can come up with:

Level Point Range Level Name Graphic
-1 < 0 Sandbagger red
0 0-9 Plays Winter Rules yellow
1 10-17 Now on the Tee grey
2 18-26 Scratch Contributor 1 green
3 27-35 Mini Tour Winner 2 green
4 36-71 Nationwide Tour Winner 3 green
5 72-89 PGA Tour Winner 4 green
6 90-107 Tour Veteran 5 green
7 108-125 Ryder Cupper 6 green
8 126-143 Major Winner 7 green
9 144-179 Hall of Famer 8 green
10 180+ Legend of the Game 9 green

FWIW, I don't particularly like mine, because people some new people might get confused if they see a bunch of people with the title "Mini Tour Winner" on the site, so I hope someone can come up with something better. It won't take much! :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe instead of "Winner" you can have "Contributor" ? I mean, it sounds kinda cheesy and I like the way you have it set up above. On another website you can "rep" or "neg" someone based on their post content and the more green bars you have the more powerful your reps/negs become....just a suggestion tho.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

Maybe instead of "Winner" you can have "Contributor" ? I mean, it sounds kinda cheesy and I like the way you have it set up above. On another website you can "rep" or "neg" someone based on their post content and the more green bars you have the more powerful your reps/negs become....just a suggestion tho.

That's the same here, though I don't see reputation ramping up past three points or so. The old site limited it to 2.

And there's no negative. Mods/Admins can apply an offset that's positive or negative, but there's no negative reputation.

So what's your list of the levels? And what would you name the points ?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I still like the skins...for levels your could kind of do the Tours...

Mini Tour

Nationwide Tour

Q School Grad or PGA Tour Rookie

PGA Tour Veteran

Ryder Cup

Major Winner

Hall of Famer

Something like that would be cool and easy to understand.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I still like the skins...for levels your could kind of do the Tours...

Mini Tour

Nationwide Tour

Q School Grad or PGA Tour Rookie

PGA Tour Veteran

Ryder Cup

Major Winner

Hall of Famer

Something like that would be cool and easy to understand.

Don't forget The President's Trophy or Cup - whatever, it's really important anyway.

I'd also suggest Open championships from various countries and people can vote on which ones are more prestigious. Go, Canadian Open!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

To be honest, I'm kinda hoping to get away from anything which sounds like someone's actual title, but I don't know what that should be. "Club Champ" is a lousy title because... someone might or might not be an actual club champion. That's an "actual thing."

Here are the example titles from Huddler. I think these will be used in a sentence, as in "iacas is...":

< 0 - "not trustworthy"

< 10 - "treading on thin ice"

< 20 - "new to the site"

< 30 - "starting to get noticed"

< 40 - "making a difference on the site"

< 100 - "moving up in the community"

< 250 - "becoming more distinguished"

< 500 - "headed for greatness"

< 750 - "becoming a leading voice"

< 1000 - "a pillar of the community"

< 1500 - "a thought leader in the community"

< 3000 - "a renowned expert in the community"

< 10000 - "an onsite legend"

Again I'd like something "golf-y" (and their levels are likely not going to be what ours are)... but I think they need to be more like "complete the sentence" types.

If we have nine positive levels, and then the neutral, slightly negative, and then very negative, that's 12 levels we need to make up... So let me take another stab at it:

Level Point Range Level Name Graphic
-1 < 0 a sandbagger red
0 0-9 plays winter rules yellow
1 10-17 now on the tee grey
2 18-26 a great playing partner 1 green
3 27-35 moving up the leaderboard 2 green
4 36-71 always in contention 3 green
5 72-89 ??? 4 green
6 90-107 ??? 5 green
7 108-125 ??? 6 green
8 126-143 ??? 7 green
9 144-179 a hall of fame contributor 8 green
10 180+ a legend of the game 9 green

Something like that. Obviously without the question marks. :-)

Not sure if these are helpful or not - puts a little more emphasis on politely "insulting" those on the lower end of the scale. Maybe just a couple of them would help fill in some gaps...

1. uses two hands to tee up the ball
  2. plays a foot wedge
  3. loves those mulligans
  4. rolls the ball in the rough
  5. rolls the ball in the fairway
  6. plays winter rules
  7. now on the tee
  8. a great playing partner
  9. respects the game
  10. moving up the leaderboard
  11. always in contention
  12. a magnificent ball striker
  13. plays from the tips
  14. drives the green
  15. a legend of the game

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I agree with not using "PGA Tour Winner" etc. The number of reputation points can be a result of how much the person has contributed positively to the forum, which probably goes hand-in-hand with golf knowledge or skill. I'd prefer a combination of golf knowledge/skill and level of contribution to the forum. I'll try to write some down later. The last two suggestions from Erik and Old guy are onto something.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Reputation is live, but our old values haven't been imported yet, so I'm holding off on turning it on.

Right now the levels are:

< 0 is a sandbagger.

< 10 plays winter rules in the summer.

< 18 is now on the tee.

< 27 is off to a great start.

< 36 plays from the tips.

< 54 is moving up the leaderboard.

< 72 is always in contention.

< 90 has power and finesse to spare

< 108 is a multiple major winner

< 144 is a hall-of-fame contributor

< 180 is a legend of the game

(values subject to change over time. If we end up with 127 people with 144 points or more then we'll shift them upwards or something.

Cant wait to see what my rep level is...

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

Cant wait to see what my rep level is...

Same as it was when we switched. Our values from vBulletin were preserved.

Turns out this will happen in a week or so. Because our site is the only one which is not going to start from scratch with reputation, they've enabled reputation for sites that want it, but are asking me to hold off on enabling it until they can actually restore the old values.

So a bit more patience, and we'll be there. Sorry for the miscommunication - I had every indication we'd be fully live today.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think you've got too many different levels.     And the different names don't seem to automatically imply whether someone's rep is higher of lower than an adjacent description.    For example, is "Power and Finesse to Spare" better or worse than "Always in Contention"?     That doesn't seem intuitively obvious without a decoder ring.

How about:

<0           Double Bogey

0-10       Bogey

10-50     Par

50-100     Birdie

100-150    Eagle

>150        Ace

Easy to know where one fits in the overall scale, has enough levels for some granularity but not so many as to be confusing, and they are golf terms immediately recognizable as being good or bad places to be.

Note: This thread is 4845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!