IGNORED

Phil Mickelson Tending the Flag

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 4830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by q7w

not to sound like a downer, but Phil needs to stop messing up when it counts

I really wanted him to win

but again he made some unnecessary mistakes on the last few holes

don't get me wrong, he is a great player

he just needs to finish what he starts

I always get excited watching him when he has a chance to win, then it always seems he makes mistakes and loses the tournament

Just curious, but what mistakes did he make on the last few holes?   He closed out birdie-birdie to nearly win, and was 2 under on the last four holes.    If those are mistakes, you seem to have an amazingly high standard, even for Phil!

Originally Posted by canadianpro

I watched it but forget...Had Bubba sunk his putt for birdie yet when Phil laid up?

No.  Which is a very important point ignored by ( I think) every previous post. It was a clever move, ensuring that there was pressure om watson.  There was every chance that Phil would only have to stick it close and make the putt, because Watson's putt wasn't easy.  I'd back Phil to get up and down from 72 yards above him hitting a long way over water from a crap lie.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Phil said his reason for Bones tending the flag was that he hits the pin about a dozen times per season when he pitches. He either wanted to fly the ball in or have it land long and spin back, and the pin would have been in the way of either of those.

As for laying up, his lie, the wind, the distance, all called for it, in his opinion.

I love all the comments about why Phil didn't go for it.  I am sure if he had gone for it the same people would be saying - typical Phil tried for the hero shot again and couldn't pull it off.  He made the decision that would give him the best shot to win the tournament or head to a playoff.  Bones said it himself that it was a 10 second decision.  Moves like that is why we are here spending hours on a forum and they are out there making millions and playing a game they love.  From the results of the shot it looks like he probably had a higher percentage shot of making than people are willing to give him.  He is a professional and damn good at the short game.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Quinn07

I love all the comments about why Phil didn't go for it.  I am sure if he had gone for it the same people would be saying - typical Phil tried for the hero shot again and couldn't pull it off.

Yep, I agree. He made the right play. This isn't Rickie Fowler laying up from 210 yards when the water can be carried with a shot that goes 170 and he's in the fairway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!