IGNORED

Putting alignment - Rules Question

TXjammer
Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TXjammer

Also, while talking to Bernie about this, he mentioned something else that has brought him a lot of putting success....this may need its own thread but,

He said trying only looking down at the ball long enough to get the putter square behind it...then never look back down.  Just stare at the exact spot you want to hit the ball to and pitch your hands toward it.  His theory is that when you throw a rock at something you don't look at the rock...you just throw.  Interesting.  I might try this, too.  God knows I need all the help I can get on the green!!!

This is part of the theory behind face-on/sidesadddle putting.  Conventional putting is the only thing we as humans do, where we not only don't face our target we don't even look at the target. In putting we need accuracy not power.  Imagine doing these accuracy type things while standing sideways to your target and looking at your hand the whole time:

throwing darts

bowling

a hockey shot

bocce ball

rolling any bal towards a target

pitching a softball underhand. even baseball pitchers open up to their target

throwing a lacrosse ball

etc....

I remember back in the 80's I saw a guy with a putter that was made for this.  It stood up by itself!  I guess it had a really light shaft and a heavy head.  You could set it behind the ball and move into position when it was lined up.

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXjammer

Just goofing around the other day with putting practice, I stood my putter up in front of me while looking down the line of the putt.  Then, sort of laughing about it, gently walked 90* around the putter without moving it and made my stroke.  Turns out this is INCREDIBLY accurate!!!  So I'm thinking...there's gotta be some kind of rule against this or why wouldn't everyone do it?

I searched the PGA rules for anything concerning "putting alignment" and came up empty.  Thought I'd see what you guys know about this.

I wonder if you would  been deemed to have addressed the ball as soon as you have positioned the putter behind the ball at the start of your routine, it could make a difference in windy conditions

Yes, it's legal to line up your putter this way.. and Yes, I believe you have addressed the ball as soon as the putter is grounded behind the ball.

From the Rules of Golf:

Addressing the Ball

A player has "addressed the ball" when he has taken his stance and has also grounded his club, except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.

You must do both on the putting green to have addressed the ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I have a golf buddy who had one the putters that stood on its own so you could align from behind.  Made the worst sound - like hitting the ball with something made out of sheet metal.  He got abused so much that he finally bought a better club.

Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!