IGNORED

Putting alignment - Rules Question

TXjammer
Note: This thread is 4742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just goofing around the other day with putting practice, I stood my putter up in front of me while looking down the line of the putt.  Then, sort of laughing about it, gently walked 90* around the putter without moving it and made my stroke.  Turns out this is INCREDIBLY accurate!!!  So I'm thinking...there's gotta be some kind of rule against this or why wouldn't everyone do it?

I searched the PGA rules for anything concerning "putting alignment" and came up empty.  Thought I'd see what you guys know about this.

Originally Posted by TXjammer

Just goofing around the other day with putting practice, I stood my putter up in front of me while looking down the line of the putt.  Then, sort of laughing about it, gently walked 90* around the putter without moving it and made my stroke.  Turns out this is INCREDIBLY accurate!!!  So I'm thinking...there's gotta be some kind of rule against this or why wouldn't everyone do it?

I searched the PGA rules for anything concerning "putting alignment" and came up empty.  Thought I'd see what you guys know about this.

You mean face-on putting?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are couple lady pros that do that.  Most of them have their caddies line them up which I never understood.  How do you get to that level without knowing where you're aiming.

No, not face on putting...though that's a very accurate style I've tried.   I'm talking about standing behind your putter and lining it up with ball, then turning to traditional putting stance and making the stroke.

Originally Posted by ND Fan

There are couple lady pros that do that.  Most of them have their caddies line them up which I never understood.  How do you get to that level without knowing where you're aiming.

So it is legal???  Who are they?  I wanna search a video or two.

Actually i believe you are not allowed to strattle the line while putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Nevermind...no one seems to get what I'm saying.   Anyway, a friend that plays in pro tourneys said he's done it many times over the years and it is legal.  Thanks anyway.  Sorry I couldn't make it clearer.

I get what you're saying. I think that most people don't do it because they just line their ball up to where they want and put their putter parallel to the alignment aid on the ball. The way you're doing it is probably a little less accurate than this as it might move when you stand up and get to the side of it. I do it that way though when the ball is on the fringe and I'm not aloud to mark it.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by iPutt

I get what you're saying. I think that most people don't do it because they just line their ball up to where they want and put their putter parallel to the alignment aid on the ball. The way you're doing it is probably a little less accurate than this as it might move when you stand up and get to the side of it. I do it that way though when the ball is on the fringe and I'm not aloud to mark it.

Well, I make the alignment standing up...not squatting.  Then just let the putter rest on one finger while stepping around it. The contact the putter has with the green doesn't let it move assuring me it is setting just like I aligned it when it's time to make the stroke.

You might be right on the accuracy, saving that my eye is unique to everyone elses, just as yours is.   It is far easier for me to line the stripes on my putter head than try to see down a tiny line of text on a ball....just doesn't work for me unless I almost lie belly down on the green. (not so cool looking : D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPutt

Well, I make the alignment standing up...not squatting.  Then just let the putter rest on one finger while stepping around it. The contact the putter has with the green doesn't let it move assuring me it is setting just like I aligned it when it's time to make the stroke.

You might be right on the accuracy, saving that my eye is unique to everyone elses, just as yours is.   It is far easier for me to line the stripes on my putter head than try to see down a tiny line of text on a ball....just doesn't work for me unless I almost lie belly down on the green. (not so cool looking : D)

Whatever works then hahaha. It's totally legal so go right ahead

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Also, while talking to Bernie about this, he mentioned something else that has brought him a lot of putting success....this may need its own thread but,

He said trying only looking down at the ball long enough to get the putter square behind it...then never look back down.  Just stare at the exact spot you want to hit the ball to and pitch your hands toward it.  His theory is that when you throw a rock at something you don't look at the rock...you just throw.  Interesting.  I might try this, too.  God knows I need all the help I can get on the green!!!

Just for fun, trying practice putting with a very open stance (75 degrees or so, almost looking down the line of the putt).

You're not allowed to straddle the line with your stance, but you can face the line of the putt if both feet are on the same side. I think one of the touring pros played with this a year or two ago.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

In his later years, Sam Snead putted this way all the time-he called it "side saddle". It is legal.

Nicklaus sometimes putted with an open stance-but not that extreme-just his left foot back from the line some, but I think his shoulders were square.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I often line up this way, usually by setting the putter a few inches away from the ball so I can see the alignment a bit better (and not risk bumping the ball).  I usually don't actually stand behind it, though.  Once the putter is set, I take my stance, aligning with the putter center line-to-ball line.

I don't like the method mentioned above where you do not look at the ball.  While it's true that you don't look at a ball you're throwing, it's also in your hand... I need to look at the ball to hit it squarely.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I wonder if you would  been deemed to have addressed the ball as soon as you have positioned the putter behind the ball at the start of your routine, it could make a difference in windy conditions

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

Quote:

I wonder if you would  been deemed to have addressed the ball as soon as you have positioned the putter behind the ball at the start of your routine, it could make a difference in windy conditions

Yes, it's legal to line up your putter this way.. and Yes, I believe you have addressed the ball as soon as the putter is grounded behind the ball.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

Yes, it's legal to line up your putter this way.. and Yes, I believe you have addressed the ball as soon as the putter is grounded behind the ball.

Outside a hazard, you have not addressed the ball until you have BOTH taken your stance AND grounded the club.  Your stance has not been taken until your feet are in the position you intend to swing from, so no, you have not inadvertently addressed the ball using this procedure.

So you won't be deemed to have caused the ball to move, but unless there is a clear cause of the movement (such as a wind gust), you still have to assume that movement is your fault.  Still, you don't have the usual worry about grounding your club making you responsible for any movement.

Decision 18-2b/4:

Q. A player's routine prior to making a stroke is as follows: He first grounds the club directly behind the ball with his feet together. Then he gradually widens his feet to shoulder width. At that point, he makes the stroke.

If the ball moves after he grounds the club but before he widens his stance to shoulder width, does he incur a penalty stroke under
Rule 18-2b (Ball Moving After Address)?

A. No. A player has not addressed the ball until he completes taking his stance, i.e., his feet are essentially in the position in which he normally places them when making a stroke.

However, if the ball moved after the club was grounded but before the player had completed taking his stance, he incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a for having caused the ball to move and must replace the ball, unless there is strong evidence that wind or some other agency caused the ball to move.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

It's perfectly legal to line up you putts this way.

There's a german putter, which stands on it's own, so you can line up your putts walking around the putter without even holding it :)

(called "the spicy putter")

edit - found a video of the putter: http://golfforum.de/?p=21

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Note: This thread is 4742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!