IGNORED

Spitting on the Golf Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about spitting on the golf course?

• No spitting anywhere, ever!
    • Spit in certain locations, not in others.
    • Spit wherever you want.

I spit on occasion while playing golf.  In the late summer/early fall when hay fever hits me hard, I have to or I'll drown.  That being said, I never do it where it is easily witnessed, let alone anywhere near the green or where other players might be behind me.  On the whole, the act doesn't bother me too much but then again I've never played with anyone (casual or tourney) that did it in such a way that directly affected my play or others.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by Phil McGlenno

Spit wherever you want so long as it's not on me, the greens, or the tees.

When I lived in New Mexico we'd spit on our golf balls to clean 'em. Towels would dry out so fast in the heat that you couldn't keep a towel wet for more than a hole or so. A little spit, a little rub... clean golf ball.

What are you people, pansies? Afraid of spit? Spit is "disgusting"? I can think of a whole lot more disgusting stuff - like people who smoke, or people who drive carts to the edges of greens and tees - than a little spit.

I thought I was the only one that spit to clean their ball after marking it on the green - now I feel better.  However, my bag towel looks pretty nasty from the tobacco being mixed in with the spit.

Back to the original post, I don't see any problem with spitting on the course, especially if you don't smoke and have a nicotine fit every now and then on the course.

i play with a guy, my boss actually that dips tobacco. and he never spits the stuff! on the course or in the office! i asked him how he can swallow that sh@t and he says "dont bother me none."

i dont know about you guys but seeing someone swallow that stuff is just as gross and seeing someone spray it all over the course. IMO

Keep it where the mowers go!

In general I dispise spitting, in London (England) every second person is spitting everywhere which is disgusting, and also littering but that is another rant.

However, on sports fields/tracks/pitches spitting is sometimes required and I have no problem with it assuming it doesnt get anyone.

• Upvote 1

I dip snuff so im gonna spit on the course.Nowhere around a green or teebox. I find it funny that some condone pissing on a course, 99% of courses have bathrooms use them.And why not piss in a bottle as you would want some to spit in bottles? some people need to get over it to some people its second nature. besides if your that worried about it you should wear gloves all the time because your ball will come in contact with a spot that has been pissed/shit on by an animal but you give it no thought.

Originally Posted by Bananrama

In general I dispise spitting, in London (England) every second person is spitting everywhere which is disgusting, and also littering but that is another rant.

However, on sports fields/tracks/pitches spitting is sometimes required and I have no problem with it assuming it doesnt get anyone.

Conventional wisdom when playing hockey: if you find yourself falling down near the players bench, or in front of the net, get back up as fast as you can. I always thought it was to avoid getting cut with someone's skates, but maybe there are other reasons too?!?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by golfyboy4

I dip snuff so im gonna spit on the course.Nowhere around a green or teebox. I find it funny that some condone pissing on a course, 99% of courses have bathrooms use them.And why not piss in a bottle as you would want some to spit in bottles? some people need to get over it to some people its second nature. besides if your that worried about it you should wear gloves all the time because your ball will come in contact with a spot that has been pissed/shit on by an animal but you give it no thought.

Not saying you should piss anywhere you feel like it, but the difference between spit and urine is, urine is sterile (unless you've got something seriuosly wrong with you, in which case you prob aren't going to be out golfing). Add chew to the eqaution and you've got not only whatever germs you happen to be carrying around but a large increase in the "disgusting" factor (in most people's opinion) as well.

Animal waste is usually not harmful to humans, but more importantly, ANIMALS DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER! You on the other hand, being supposedly civilized, can choose to spit into a cup. Just because it's second nature to you to spit anywhere you feel like it does not in any way give it legitimacy.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Spitting's fine only in certain conditions. I.e. in a private location (not on the green or fairway), or if you're alone (still not on the green or fairway), or if you're sick.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Animal waste is usually not harmful to humans, but more importantly, ANIMALS DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER! You on the other hand, being supposedly civilized, can choose to spit into a cup. Just because it's second nature to you to spit anywhere you feel like it does not in any way give it legitimacy.

spit is not harmful to humans,and being from the south were 98% of the people i know spit in public does give it legitimacy know your facts before you say something.you must find baseball plays to be utterley revolting if you dont like spitting.

+1,000

spit is not harmful to humans,and being from the south were 98% of the people i know spit in public does give it legitimacy know your facts before you say something.you must find baseball plays to be utterley revolting if you dont like spitting.

I've got some really good friends who chew, and it's gross.  They do have the decency to spit in a cup or water bottle.  Still gross, but nobody's perfect.  I don't care if 100% of the people in the south spit, or endorse dogfighting, or any other disreputable behavior.  It's gross.  I played baseball for many years, and spitting sunflower shells in the dugout isn't the same as spitting on the course.  The guys who spit on the field were gross.

And since when did spitting become an integral part of a "baseball play?"  were, utterley, dont-you're on a roll.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by plugged

I find spitting to be pretty uncouth behavior.  In some environments it is perfectly acceptable, but those are few and far between.  Golf is not one of them.

what this guy said.

• Upvote 1

I've got the solution: put 2 spitoons next to each green, on the longest diameter.  If one interferes with a shot, it's a moveable object.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

I've got the solution: put 2 spitoons next to each green, on the longest diameter.  If one interferes with a shot, it's a moveable object.

Perfect solution! As long as there's a rule that allows me to substitute a ball landing *in* a spitoon. :-)

Bill

hmmmm, I didn't think about that. Yes, a free drop (with another ball) would definitely be in order.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Conventional wisdom when playing hockey: if you find yourself falling down near the players bench, or in front of the net, get back up as fast as you can. I always thought it was to avoid getting cut with someone's skates, but maybe there are other reasons too?!?

Wait until you get on a rugby pitch, you can be laying on a bottom of a ruck and see/faceplant some. To be honest though, its not the worst thing that can happen to you down there and you dont normally notice it, its just unnecessary.

I think anywhere but the tee/sand/green is okay to spit. You are outdoors right? A little spit never hurt anything. But then again, I spit clean my ball/clubs so I may be a little biased...

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 1932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!