IGNORED

Hernia Repair Recovery?

Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, I know I could put this under "Fitness" but I imagine it might go unread for days... if you know what I mean. I am NOT looking for Medical Advice so please feel free to answer. I'll leave the actual surgery to the Doctor and at least one cute nurse.

What I need to know is how long a recovery time should I expect. After a season of roof raking here in the Northeast I have decided to repair my growing umbilical hernia. Looks like it will be done 'open style' rather than through a scope. During my first office visit everything was hunky-dory and I would be golfing in 2 weeks. During my last visit the 2 week window grew to a month... and maybe some discomfort after that!

Since Spring golf here in the Northeast can be a challenge at best... weather, temps, soggy ground, plugged drives... I don't mind delaying my season. Actually, I am already delaying the surgery to after my Hilton Head golf trip in early March.

Bottomline:

Has anyone had a similar surgery?

What was your recovery time?

Did you have any extended discomfort from the mesh?

Thanks.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I had a hernia done open style when I was 12 and I was back doing regular activity in 90 days. However by regular I mean playing as kid so I would think could get back to golf in much less time if you take a cart. The real pain with a hernia is sleeping if rollover the wrong way it can cause some discomfort. Good luck...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by cape cod beachfront golfer

Yes, I know I could put this under "Fitness" but I imagine it might go unread for days... if you know what I mean. I am NOT looking for Medical Advice so please feel free to answer. I'll leave the actual surgery to the Doctor and at least one cute nurse.

What I need to know is how long a recovery time should I expect. After a season of roof raking here in the Northeast I have decided to repair my growing umbilical hernia. Looks like it will be done 'open style' rather than through a scope. During my first office visit everything was hunky-dory and I would be golfing in 2 weeks. During my last visit the 2 week window grew to a month... and maybe some discomfort after that!

Since Spring golf here in the Northeast can be a challenge at best... weather, temps, soggy ground, plugged drives... I don't mind delaying my season. Actually, I am already delaying the surgery to after my Hilton Head golf trip in early March.

Bottomline:

Has anyone had a similar surgery?

What was your recovery time?

Did you have any extended discomfort from the mesh?

Thanks.

I had my umbilical hernia repaired 5 weeks ago, and I planned it for the dead of winter so that I would miss as little golf as possible.  Scoping was never even a consideration for this type of hernia.

I seem to just about ready to go.  I'm not going to try any dead lifting yet, and I let Mother Nature clear the driveway after the storm last week.  I pushed snow from the sidewalk, just enough to let people walk, but I didn't let myself overdo it.  I feel pretty good now, and I don't see any reason not to play golf if the snow ever clears off enough to let them open the course.  My doctor just told me not to push myself and don't do anything I didn't feel up to.  He didn't really set a specific time limit.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had hernia surgery about 14 months ago, but it was orthoscopic. (Note: I was 59 at the time)

For recovery conditioning I did treadmill and very light lifting (under 10 pounds) for about three weeks. Then, I gradually increased my activity, focusing on core conditioning. Your body will tell you how much you can handle.

I hit partial wedges at about 6 weeks, and was hitting full shots by 10 weeks.  I actually got an early start on the season, but during the summer I got rained out 12 times; only posted 8 rounds last year, due to weather.

Recovery may take awhile, but you were wise to get it taken care of before it really got bad.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I had hernia surgery at the end of August and was limited for about 6 weeks to not lifting anything over about 15 pounds...  Once that limitation was gone I was good to go...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Hey I am a therapist and a golfer.  I would take my doctors suggestion seriously.  I wouldn't swing a club until I felt 100% confident I was healed up that way you don't risk screwing up your swing by easing your turn or decreasing your follow through, etc.  My buddy was rock climbing 6 weeks after is surgery, but I am sure the healing time envolves a lot of factors including; size, location, age, general fitness and wellness of the person, etc.  Be patient and heal up!

Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!